Stressing over flights!

Misssmb

Trying to decide whether or not to include Oceania's flights or not. Travel agent said in order to receive nonstop, we would have to pay an additional $175pp. Flying to Rome out of Newark and then departing Nice to Newark. How do you get your seats? If I wait the 75 days out and there are no seats I like left, I would be so upset. Help! Not sure what I want to do. This is all new to us.

Trying to decide whether or not to include Oceania's flights or not. Travel agent said in order to receive nonstop, we would have to pay an additional $175pp. Flying to Rome out of Newark and then departing Nice to Newark. How do you get your seats? If I wait the 75 days out and there are no seats I like left, I would be so upset. Help! Not sure what I want to do. This is all new to us.

FWIW: we always take the air credit instead and DIY bizclass with FF points or cash/points combo.

You anxieties are exactly why I took the air credit. I'm really picky about my flights and seats and couldn't imagine leaving it in someone else's hands. It's a control thing with me! LOL

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ditto!

When we took our first Renaissance cruise we heard horror stories about connections, especially for people who were not at a gateway city. You aren't in that situation.

Still! Booking your own gives you control over your plans. Take the credit and apply it to the cost of your air.

I will say that the very few times we took O's air (we fly from JFK or EWR) the flights were fine. But these days we prefer business seats -- we aren't so young any more! -- and trying to get business seats via Oceania is far more expensive (usually) than doing so on your own.

And we also go in early and come back later ...

Don't stress this. It's really NOT that difficult! Either take Oceania's flights ... or do your own. I would do the latter myself.

Mura

That is not true..you have to pay $175 to request certain flights but you can ask for a nonstop from Newark without paying anything..you may or may not get them but you certainly can ask..

Jancruz1

First, you need to fire that Travel Agent, because:

A) You were misinformed about the direct flights

B) That Agent OBVIOUSLY has no clue about how the Oceania Air system works in general

C) Why allow your commission to be frittered away on a person who cares so little about your travel plans that they give you answers before they are Sure?

You can pay the deviation fee & choose the flights you want

Then after your cruise is paid in full ask them to ticket your airfare & then you can select your seats ..they will be in Econ unless you chose the PE special promo

Or as other said book your own

I have done it both ways ..compare the prices & do what works best for you

JMO

First, you need to fire that Travel Agent, because:

A) You were misinformed about the direct flights

B) That Agent OBVIOUSLY has no clue about how the Oceania Air system works in general

C) Why allow your commission to be frittered away on a person who cares so little about your travel plans that they give you answers before they are Sure?

She said she called because she knew I was concerned. I do know that once I receive them, I have until 60 days before to cancel the air and choose my own. She also told me that in the meantime I can look and see if I find something more reasonable myself.

Also, if the cruise line books them for me, how do I select my seats?

We made the mistake of using Oceania to arrange flights on our first Oceania cruise. We chose to pay the additional fees for business class and specific flights. (Monster flights from Tahiti to Denver. ) I freaked out the entire time while waiting for confirmation. "Will we really get the flights I want? Will I get business class and the seats that we want?" You get what I mean about the anxiety.

We're taking the air credit on the next two cruises.

FWIW: we always take the air credit instead and DIY bizclass with FF points or cash/points combo.

We do the same. We buy economy class tickets and use FF miles to upgrade to business. It'd be too stressful for me to have little control over what flights I'm on.

Just did our 8th O cruise. Had nonstop flights on United ORD to LAX and then MIA to ORD. Seamless. Reserved our seats on the United web site. No problem!

YMMV

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did our 8th O cruise. Had nonstop flights on United ORD to LAX and then MIA to ORD. Seamless. Reserved our seats on the United web site. No problem!

YMMV

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, your ORD to wherever will be a non-stop. The issue most folks have is getting from coast to coast and/or to/from non-gateway cities.

As others have said, take the air credit and book your own. Most of us use our FF miles which if you are not in a dedicated program such as offered by Chase bank CC and a member of an airline FF group. Dont have a FF membership of an good credit card ( I favor Chase Marriott Business, Chase United Explorer, Chase Select,) and others that reward you 4 to 6 times what you spend on everything from beans to taxes. n Get one today.... focus on 1 card not 3 or 4

These miles dont expire as long as you use the card. I weep when I see people pay cash or write a check they are throwing money away. Take those same dollars and pay the same amount you would have to the merchant to the CC card... zero interest.

Have patients because in about 2 to 3 years you will have amassed enough miles to fly free for the rest of your life... You pick the flight, you pick the seat... no mickey mouse fees. You are at a crossroad and if you ever plan to cruise or travel anywhere, ever in the future the time to start is yesterday, and today...... Pay for your cruise, pay your groceries, phone, gas, anyone that takes a credit card. No interest, lots of bonuses, discounts for card holders, free hotel stays... you can not immigine

Get in control of your travels and your future...... many of us have done so and have happily flown free for decades you can too............................

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to book one way on your own, do you get a credit? Do you lose the unlimited internet and olife amenities?

We already received our flights, and would like to book the return on our own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to book one way on your own, do you get a credit? Do you lose the unlimited internet and olife amenities?

O Life includes choice of either air tix OR air credit

When is your cruise ?

It may be too late to DIY air

best to call your TA or Oceania & ask what the credit is or opt to pay the deviation & pick a flight from O

you will still have the O Life perk & free internet

If you're not past final payment you can use O's air for just one of the flights and receive a credit for the other.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fwiw...we now book our own and take the credit. We book the O air for our cruise from rome and had to cancel 2 days out due to a death in the family. We received ZERO credit for the air tickets even tho they were in our name. Because they were booked by O, O owned the booking. Luckily we were insured.

Fwiw...we now book our own and take the credit. We book the O air for our cruise from rome and had to cancel 2 days out due to a death in the family. We received ZERO credit for the air tickets even tho they were in our name. Because they were booked by O, O owned the booking. Luckily we were insured.

I assume an "economy" ticket arranged through Oceania has to contend with an airline's nonrefundable penalty similar to the tix type purchased by most DIYers.

Of course, for DIY, you'd still have the airline to deal with regarding cancellation. But, at least then you could pursue refund of taxes paid in the fare or issuance of an ETC for time limited future travel (depending on the airline).

On our next cruise we're using O outward and have booked our own for the return and we did get an air credit. Worked well for us :)

Did your insurance not cover the air cost along with the cruise?

Mine did when we had to cancel the day before the cruise

Flatbush Flyer;

Having personally ran several large group tours, group and bulk rate airline ticket buyers have entirely different payment and confirmation schedules than individual ticket buyers. Programs are not comparable.

OK - but wouldn't a bulk rate contract have minimum performance requirements?