Help! Flip Flop challenged!

Izzblizz

Hi all,

I love the idea of flip flops and of course I just bought a cute pair thinking "Ok, I will break them in." But I swear, my toes do NOT like flip flops, but I like the idea. I have NO callous built up between my toes since I have never been able to tolerate them. So, usually I just use my water shoes, but they aren't as cute as flip flops with my swimsuits/pool covers.

So, I am trying to online search for flip flops WITHOUT the thong. So that is what I search for -- no luck. Do they make such a thing? Like flip flops with a straight band across instead of thing around or between your toes, and if so, what are they named for a google search. I looked around in the store when I got my flip flops at DSW but I couldn't find an alternative that didn't have that toe or thong thingy.

So, if anyone could help me out, much appreciated!! Or any tips for breaking in thongs (have a month to do it, been trying for about 10 minutes a day, can't make it out to the deck without wanting to take them off). TIA.

Thanks ... this is what I am kinda talking about, finally found something, but it is men's (hahaha) and of course want cute ones.

https://www.dunelondon.com/coupri-sandal-cross-strap-sandal-0324506470020165/?cswatch=1

Ohhh, finally figured out what to call them "cross strap sliders" ... having much better luck now.

Edited by Izzblizz
Figured it out

"Break them in"???? Really? You just need to wear them an hour a day, for a week....or longer as they feel better. I don't have callouses between my toes....and I would LIVE in flip-flops if it was warm enough year round!

It's like getting used to thong underwear...the smaller the strap, the better it feels.

"Break them in"???? Really? You just need to wear them an hour a day, for a week....or longer as they feel better. I don't have callouses between my toes....and I would LIVE in flip-flops if it was warm enough year round!

It's like getting used to thong underwear...the smaller the strap, the better it feels.

Yes, really .... and never worn thong underwear, either. Hahaha. But thanks for the tip on them if I ever decide to!

Yes, I know I am abnormal with my toe sensitivity, and about every other summer I buy some dang flip flops. You would think I would learn. But I always *think* surely my toes will tolerate this if I keep them on for more than 5 minutes, but can't even make it that far. I should take a video of me trying to walk around in them ... hilarious!!

Love tevas. Have 3 pairs of the sandals. Are you talking about these flip flop tivas?

https://www.zappos.com/p/teva-olowahu-2-pack-mbob-vida-black/product/7568870/color/736768?ef_id=VocpiAAABMSDtBRz:20180511013301:s :D

I did see those, and toe thingy does look more comfortable .. will have to see if can find a place to try a pair on (although then have the whole issue of trying to try on with those little socklet things). I am sure can squish the nylon for a try on and walk around for a bit.

Good luck with your search! I'm not a flip flop wearing gal, not because of the toe thing but because of personal reasons regarding foot health. Cheap flips almost always are irritating though. I could never stand the ones that are plastic in the toes...fabric was always much better for me.

When you mentioned what you were looking for, I immediately thought of soccer shoes...that's what the girls wear around when they take their cleats off. Not cute though.

I have a pair of Tevas...original style...flat sole that I wear to and fro with swim suits. Those Tevas are cute but I have a wider toe box foot and couldn't get them on my feet.

I also struggle with anything between my toes, but cloth might not be as bad (not sure how practical at the pool). I'm used to hearing the term slides or sliders for what I think Anita means by soccer shoes - and agree, rarely cute. I think the cross-strap slider would hold better than a regular slide.

Good luck in your search!

Yep, slides is what I would recommend if you don't like the feel of anything between your toes. I'm not a huge flip-flop fan because they don't tend to offer ANY support (which I insist upon, or rather - my FEET insist upon ;p )

I don't love a ;p"sport shoe" or shower slide because my feet don't feel secure in that rubber or plastic environment - too much slippage. But there are TONS of options of easy to wear sandals that you can slip on & off easily if that's your goal. Good luck finding something you like!

Good luck with your search! I'm not a flip flop wearing gal, not because of the toe thing but because of personal reasons regarding foot health. Cheap flips almost always are irritating though. I could never stand the ones that are plastic in the toes...fabric was always much better for me.

When you mentioned what you were looking for, I immediately thought of soccer shoes...that's what the girls wear around when they take their cleats off. Not cute though.

I have a pair of Tevas...original style...flat sole that I wear to and fro with swim suits. Those Tevas are cute but I have a wider toe box foot and couldn't get them on my feet.

Yeah, in my flip flop quest, I did run across a couple articles about how terribly bad flip flops are for your feet. So now I feel better about my toe sensitivity ;p. Probably a good thing I have never worn flip flops.

I also struggle with anything between my toes, but cloth might not be as bad (not sure how practical at the pool). I'm used to hearing the term slides or sliders for what I think Anita means by soccer shoes - and agree, rarely cute. I think the cross-strap slider would hold better than a regular slide.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks, I might just stick with my water shoes anyway. Just wanted a really light pair of flip flops just for the pool (or even ones could just get rid of after cruise), but need water shoes, and will be in ports more than at the pool anyway, and need water shoes for at least a couple port stops. So I am gonna keep looking, but at the end, guess it is just fine if I just wear my water shoes. I am packing for a week long cruise out of Italy, plus a week before in Prague and a week after in Ljubljana, so have to decide how worth it the "flip flop" quest is.

Yep, slides is what I would recommend if you don't like the feel of anything between your toes. I'm not a huge flip-flop fan because they don't tend to offer ANY support (which I insist upon, or rather - my FEET insist upon ;p )

I don't love a ;p"sport shoe" or shower slide because my feet don't feel secure in that rubber or plastic environment - too much slippage. But there are TONS of options of easy to wear sandals that you can slip on & off easily if that's your goal. Good luck finding something you like!

Yeah, even with some slide shoes I feel like I don't have the toe grip or something? Like all the sandals I have, have the strap around the back. Every time I even try on dress sandals that are mule types without a strap a back, they are hard to walk in. Just seems so much easier to wear a really cheap pair of cute flip flops around the pool, but guess that is not meant to be. I will keep looking and see if I can find something I really like that works on my feet and from a packing point of view.

I do have some flipflops for pedicures - crocs (they have a somewhat ok arch & those fun nubby "massage" insoles that some people love and some hate ;-) There are tons of water shoes in all sorts of different styles (use the search in the upper right corner of the front page of this forum to find other discussions & recommendations) if you need something sturdy for activities.

Also, no one says you HAVE to have a flipflop or a slide for the pool or beach. My husband HATES flip flops and slides (and, actually, is generally opposed to slip-on shoes of any kind ;-) He wears old boat shoes (tied off and stretched out to slip on) when he wants something quick access....He also has some sturdier Merrell water shoes for activities that might require those....

One of my problems with thongs (I grew up calling flip flops thongs...) is that my foot twists in them. For whatever reason, the shoe goes toward the outside and my foot toward the inside and I'm not walking on the footbed of the thong completely...unless I get some serious toe grip going on and that's just really uncomfortable. For that reason, I also can't wear any form of slide in shoe that doesn't also cover the arch area of my foot. I wonder if you have a similar thing going on and that's one reason why you also have trouble with those sorts of shoes.

They aren't the most attractive shoes when you aren't wearing them...but have you seen the water friendly Birks? There are two styles...the typical two strap and then the thong style. The thing about that thong style though is that it has a buckle strap that goes across the top part of your foot over the arch so the whole toe thing doesn't really have as much affect as typical thongs. I think they're pretty ugly by themselves but...not too bad on...cuter than most water shoes. This blog has pictures of the Arizona style halfway down the page:

http://livinginyellow.com/2018/04/4-spring-sandals-that-your-feet-will-love.html

I do have some flipflops for pedicures - crocs (they have a somewhat ok arch & those fun nubby "massage" insoles that some people love and some hate ;-) There are tons of water shoes in all sorts of different styles (use the search in the upper right corner of the front page of this forum to find other discussions & recommendations) if you need something sturdy for activities.

Also, no one says you HAVE to have a flipflop or a slide for the pool or beach. My husband HATES flip flops and slides (and, actually, is generally opposed to slip-on shoes of any kind ;-) He wears old boat shoes (tied off and stretched out to slip on) when he wants something quick access....He also has some sturdier Merrell water shoes for activities that might require those....

Yeah, thanks. I have a favorite pair of water shoes for activities that I use all time for water activities, rafting, tubing, stuff like that. I just was thinking of cute flip flops for pool, that would essentially be disposable, because definitely won't need them in Prague or Slovenia. So it is basically searching for a flip flop for two sea days, and it just might not be worth it for space or time searching for something that I really like, and either really want to keep for a long time, or inexpensive enough to be virtually disposable. Maybe I will just skip it when leaving from here and if I happen to run across something in Prague that I can't live without can stick it in there before the cruise. Or maybe I will find something in one of the first port day I really like.

I have trouble wearing flip-flops too; same toe sensitivity. When I was a kid we each always got a pair of the cheap rubber 'thongs' (as they were called then). My sisters were up and running with them right away--I limped along for weeks before my toes adjusted.

I actually think most flip-flops, at least of the rubber/plastic variety are ugly, especially if you don't have nice feet, which I don't. I also don't care for sandals with straps around the heel, but I can wear most slides without trouble.

It is harder and harder to find sandals without the thong. I do have one pair that don't hurt, probably because the rest of the uppers are wide, more like a gladiator sandal, and so the thong part isn't really what is holding the shoe on.

One of my problems with thongs (I grew up calling flip flops thongs...) is that my foot twists in them. For whatever reason, the shoe goes toward the outside and my foot toward the inside and I'm not walking on the footbed of the thong completely...unless I get some serious toe grip going on and that's just really uncomfortable. For that reason, I also can't wear any form of slide in shoe that doesn't also cover the arch area of my foot. I wonder if you have a similar thing going on and that's one reason why you also have trouble with those sorts of shoes.

They aren't the most attractive shoes when you aren't wearing them...but have you seen the water friendly Birks? There are two styles...the typical two strap and then the thong style. The thing about that thong style though is that it has a buckle strap that goes across the top part of your foot over the arch so the whole toe thing doesn't really have as much affect as typical thongs. I think they're pretty ugly by themselves but...not too bad on...cuter than most water shoes. This blog has pictures of the Arizona style halfway down the page:

http://livinginyellow.com/2018/04/4-spring-sandals-that-your-feet-will-love.html

oops missed this before. Yes, I think that is EXACTLY my problem! Those are cute, but I went to REI today and bought some of those yoga slings a poster recommended . They work for me because they have that soft strap on the back. The fabric thong thing didn't even bother me that much on the yoga slings (REI flagship store has stairs, etc, so I wore them up and down stairs and walked around quite a bit) Wearing them around the house now, and getting more and more used to them!

I have trouble wearing flip-flops too; same toe sensitivity. When I was a kid we each always got a pair of the cheap rubber 'thongs' (as they were called then). My sisters were up and running with them right away--I limped along for weeks before my toes adjusted.

I actually think most flip-flops, at least of the rubber/plastic variety are ugly, especially if you don't have nice feet, which I don't. I also don't care for sandals with straps around the heel, but I can wear most slides without trouble.

It is harder and harder to find sandals without the thong. I do have one pair that don't hurt, probably because the rest of the uppers are wide, more like a gladiator sandal, and so the thong part isn't really what is holding the shoe on.

Yeah, those ones are really harsh between my toes, I think I solved my problem with the yoga slings, that sling around my heel makes all the difference for me!

Hi! I hear you about “breaking flip flops in”. I have sensitive skin that is VERY sensitive to chafing, including between my toes. :rolleyes: Crazy lol!! Anyway, every spring/summer when I first bring out the flip flops, I’ll put a small, thin band aid between my big toe and the next. After a few wears, I get used to it and adjust. Maybe that would help!

Thanks, I might just stick with my water shoes anyway. Just wanted a really light pair of flip flops just for the pool (or even ones could just get rid of after cruise), but need water shoes, and will be in ports more than at the pool anyway, and need water shoes for at least a couple port stops. So I am gonna keep looking, but at the end, guess it is just fine if I just wear my water shoes. I am packing for a week long cruise out of Italy, plus a week before in Prague and a week after in Ljubljana, so have to decide how worth it the "flip flop" quest is.

Crocs do a very light flip flop without a toe post.

Have also bought flip flips with just a 'bar' across from Sketchers and Marks and Spencer's.

M&S have some leather but have also seen a low heeled sparkly silver one this season.

Sorry too technically challenged to post a link.