Pacaya Volcano Hike

Beachlover1989

• 2 months later...

It was a neat experience and I’m glad we did it, however we would not do it again...especially after the Volcano of Fire eruption that is going on right now.

It is an extremely hard climb up unless you are in REALLY good shape and the hike down was treacherous. We did not think it was very safe. The guides didn’t stay with us. There was a mob of locals who follow you the entire time trying to get you to “rent” their horse for a ride so you don’t have to hike, and my husband and I have had a cough every since that exact day....I even lost my voice that day and still can’t talk. Pacaya was erupting the whole time we were there, spewing rocks, ash, and smoke and I think that had something to do with it....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I did the hike about 5 years ago. It was very difficult and steep at times. If you don't hike on a regular basis it will be difficult. Plus the height may effect you if you get height sickness (or have BP issues). I did not feel the trails up were safe. It explodes suddenly. It happened the week after we left and 2 died, so for that reason I would never go back. If you like a bit of a challenge enjoy the trip.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just hiked it.  We are in good shape, but many others who a were not.   You can go slow, take breaks, etc.    You don’t have to be in shape to do this!  If you have bad knees or mobility issues in general it will be difficult.  It’s worth doing and ride a horse up if needed!  

The weather will determine what you do and don’t see.  Morning tours are typically better visibility particularly this time of year.  We saw rocks spewing from the top of the volcano, lava flowing down the side and lava rock slides.  

B76E49FF-2D45-445D-8D40-88B59E7BD429.jpeg

043EEBB8-B1F7-452C-8684-9A49C44215B4.jpeg

4EA80DD9-7B89-4208-B9A3-59A0890AE765.jpeg

6DF526AC-672E-4397-87B4-0D4AAD7D5729.jpeg

• Like 1