Castillo de San Felipe, Cartagena - How much walking?

Cruzinnana47

We will be visiting Cartagena in late April during our cruise. This will be our 2nd time visiting the city. A few years back we walked the Old City, took in the sights there and did some shopping. This time, I would be interested in visiting the fort (San Felipe). We're getting older (69 & 70) and in reasonably good health, but I wonder if it would be a difficult go with the walking involved. At least our ship will be there in the early part of the day, so hopefully before it gets too hot.

TIA for any info.

CRUZIN'NANA ~ we did the Fort in February on a cruise & we're a bit older than you. I also have had a knee replacement in 2012 & didn't find it hard to do. The walk is uphill, there are some stairs but overall you can stop & rest. One thing I didn't do was watch where I was walking at one point & twisted my ankle when I stepped into a small trough, luckily I wasn't injured when I fell.

There is a nice view from up there plus we saw 1 Iguana, a cat & a dog.

The taxi from the port was $10 per person for the 2 of us but the one we got in front of the fort coming back only $5 p/p.

One difference was the one from the port spoke English, the driver on the way back did not.

Did you go to the little zoo there at the port last time? It's a nice little oasis & a lot of fun.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I use a manual wheelchair for mobility. I am quite adventuresome and have good upper body strength. I understand the path to get up to the Fortress is steep but are their stairs I will have to traverse getting to the main level? Where do you pay for a guide?

• 1 year later...

Just curious what you ended up doing in Cartagena. I am also a full time wheeler. I am not as young as I used to be so I like to know what I am getting into before I get there these days. I will be traveling with my AB husband but he too is not as young as he used to be. Though we are still pretty adventurous. Thanks for your help. Jean

Sorry to not have much info on the Fortress.  We didn't end up going.  If we ever go to Cartegena again maybe we will make it.  We just walked around the port area.  They have an aviary there to walk though.   They had several types of birds.  Parrots and Flamingos all over.  There was a little restaurant and gift shop too.  Nice accessible pathways and accessible restrooms also.  We had a nice day there.  Hope you like it.  

1-15-17 Cartagena (21).jpg

9-22-18 Cartagena, Columbia (9).jpg

9-22-18 Cartagena, Columbia (13).jpg

9-22-18 Cartagena, Columbia (31).jpg

9-22-18 Cartagena, Columbia (11).jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Trina. Looks like fun. I have contacted a couple of guides about a tour. I am hoping to see some of the city and do the old town, then come back and do the nature area you send the photos of.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there last at the port the local vendors were outside.  I remember having to go through the aviary to get to the tours and taxi's.  I don't remember where the local vendors were located.  It has been awhile since we were there last and many more ports since.

Trina, 

We booked a private tour of the forte, city, with lunch and music. The guide is providing a sedan so transfers will be easy and also an assistant to push me should I need it. I will let you know how it goes. I am also booking private tours in Costa Rica and Panama.