MS Europa 2 recent

vistaman

Englishvoyager,

as from yesterday Hapag Lloyd did open the cruise EUX 1924 departure 1st November 2019 Tenerife Tenerife with limited availability for singles. cat 1 - 4

vistaman,

Thank you for the 'heads up'.

Unfortunately, having been to the Canary Islands several times, the itinerary does not appeal.

i think he only does eat a part of all the dishes he wants to put in his videos …

I did wonder that, but thought that such a scenario would lead to the waste of very expensive food.

He has posted a series of videos on his recent cruise on the Europa, and appeared to eat regularly in Dieter Müller's restaurant.

I wonder if he would allow his dishes to be substantially wasted.

<sub></sub><sup></sup><strike></strike>

and the two sisters are once again the best cruise ships - the only two with five stars plus - in the annual Berlitz guide 2019:cool:

Europa 2 : number one and good old MS Europa ( 19 years old ) second place

Thank you for the information.

It will be interesting to see the rating for the new expedition ships.

Thank you for the information.

It will be interesting to see the rating for the new expedition ships.

I will be trying the Hanseatic Nature, which has the same layout as the Inspiration, in late April and hope it will be just as wonderful as its big sisters.

Earl, are you booked yet? The list of excursions typically becomes available to booked pax around 90 days before embarkation. If you are already booked and it is 90 days, quickly check with your TA to get the list and FAX your choices ASAP, you do not pay until onboard, as there can be delays on being able to book them online by logging in with your trip number and birthdate.

Note that on the E2, though it is an “international” ship, only one English language excursion is assured in each port. But if your destination is a country where English is common, e.g., UK, NZ, Australia, Caribbean, parts of Africa, there may be more choices ( vs doing an independent excursion with an English speaking guide, or going on a German excursion with a crew member translating for you).

The use of a crew member to translate into English on a German tour may be dependent on the quantity of sights to be seen on a particular excursion.

In Norway, there were five of us English speakers on a German tour coach, but, due to the requirement for a practically continuous commentary, HL had engaged a guide specifically for our group.

Catlover54 thanks for your response. My wife and I already booked months ago our first Viking Cruise from Rome to Lisbon for 13 days making this our 16th cruise with multiple lines. We looked at the excursions offered and on some port they had up to 11 options and all of them were good. The least was 7 excursions. They varied from light all the way up to tough and you have to be in good shape. Mt thought was on Europa 2 I was unable to see any of the offered excursion because I was not booked. I know Viking has many ships during the year in some of these ports and they have good relations and steady people going on excursions. With Europa they may only get to a port once a year and probably have less offerings. On top of that you mentioned that at least one is in english. That means in one port I have to not select the others offered. At the same time being a smaller ship I would think the selection is also more limited. Am I correct?

On my Europa cruises we would usually have 3 to 5 excursions to choose from (very rarely 2, at the popular stops often more than 5). Even on the small Hanseatic, we would often have a choice of 3 to 4 excursions.

Since these were all non-international cruises, most of the excursions were in German (sometimes in English with a translator).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the following June 2018 review the author states that for any given cruise only 10-15 staterooms are set aside for 'International' guests.

I knew that only a handful of staterooms were set aside for solo occupancy, but the quoted maximum number generally being made available renders the 'International' label somewhat meaningless.

https://cruisearabiaonline.com/2018/06/13/ship-review-europa-2/

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bahrain_not_dubai! said:

Well, I've bitten the bullet and have booked Europa 2 this November. Very excited. 

congratulations , i hope you will like her

i am booked on the 1st November cruise Tenerife Tenerife

1 hour ago, bahrain_not_dubai! said:

Well then, that makes two (three?) of us 🙂

i am a single

usually the party for singles and the other party for the non german - international guests , both are done at the same time in different bars  - the single in piano bar , the other most of the times in sansibar :classic_cool:

Hapag Lloyd does offer the house champagne but no problem to get something else !