Fitness Center Etiquette For Dummies

Tong Po

After returning from a recent 10 day cruise on the Celebrity Reflection I thought I'd take a moment to inform people on some helpful tips while utilizing the ship's fitness centers.

1. If you've never lifted a weight before in your life, why are you deciding to start on a ship?? Judging by what some of the people were doing with weights, it's obvious they have never been in a weightroom before. Hoisting a dumbbell above your head requires strength and balance. Maybe a rocking ship isn't the best place to try this move if you've never done it before. Ask a trainer if you're unsure about a particular move.

2. There are literally sanitizing wipes, towels, and trashcans every few feet. Please clean off the equipment.

3. Don't use a machine to use a resting place for your lazy butt to sit while you play on your cell phone.....for 5 minutes!! There's a whole ship for you to do this.

4. The area in front of the dumbbells is a busy area with people coming and going, carrying and placing heavy weights. This might not be the best area for you to demonstrate your own martial arts/Tae Bo class. We're all very impressed with your side kicks, but not when they're 2 inches from my face....oh yeah, on a rocking boat! There is a large classroom that was used for spinning/yoga-type classes that was unoccupied for most of the day, as well as a large deck outside in front of the weightroom. Perfect spot for your kung fu demonstration.

5. If you can't take the heat, get out of the sauna...and stay out. When you enter and leave repeatedly, the heat starts to leave the sauna, making others have to stay longer to achieve the same effect. You can work up an pretty good sweat laying out in the sun.

The fitness centers can be busy at times. We would workout quick and get out, so others could use it. This meant not doing ten sets on a particular machine. This also meant not talking with a group of people right in the middle of the workout area. Hope these common sense tips will help future cruisers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Or the people who spend two hours on a treadmill!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forgive my ignorance, why is this a problem? If they are using the threadmill as a treadmill then it’s up to them how long their work out takes, surely.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, why is this a problem? If they are using the threadmill as a treadmill then it’s up to them how long their work out takes, surely.

If cruise ships stocked twenty five treadmills, two dozen bikes, a dozen elipticals, and a dozen rowers, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Point being, there are often multiple people waiting to use a treadmill as they are without doubt the most popular piece of equipment in the most gyms, cruise ship fitness centers included. In the morning hours is when I see them the most busy.

They auto-shutoff after 30 minutes for a reason. To get you off and allow the next person to come on. Most ship gyms I have seen also post signs indicating that time should be limited to 30 minutes when people are waiting.

Image already added