How bad is the Best Western Inn and Suites in San Pedro?

honey8572

How bad is the Best Western in San Pedro? Both the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are full on my dates in April 2018

It's not terrible...it's an okay motel...just not a nice first class hotel...and the location is not the best...it is on a heavily trafficked street near where the 110 freeway ends and dumps off onto surface streets...there are some fast food places near by, but it's several blocks to any decent restaurants. You could do a lot worse. I usually don't recommend it since I think the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are far superior--nicer hotels, nicer locations...but, in your situation, where those better choices are booked solid, I would take it...

It's not terrible...it's an okay motel...just not a nice first class hotel...and the location is not the best...it is on a heavily trafficked street near where the 110 freeway ends and dumps off onto surface streets...there are some fast food places near by, but it's several blocks to any decent restaurants. You could do a lot worse. I usually don't recommend it since I think the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are far superior--nicer hotels, nicer locations...but, in your situation, where those better choices are booked solid, I would take it...
We stayed at the Crown Plaza and liked it! This is an older hotel, but very well kept up and it only 3 mins away to ship. They have shuttle that runs every 20-30 minutes to ship for $5 pp. This hotel is full of cruisers, two shuttle vans, it's first come-first served. Luckily we checked out early, stood in line and got on the first van out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Just look at Long Beach.

It is only a 15 minute drive to San Pedro and you can take Uber or a Taxi over there.

Keith

Keith,

The poster's problem is that it's Grand Prix weekend...I doubt they're going to find a decent hotel in Long Beach...

i was born in the Calif South Bay area and if was ME, I would just stay half way from LAX Airport like Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, or anywhere off the 710, 405, 91 freeway, call for a car resv and head to the pier as EARLY as possible the day of cruise. Areas near Long Beach Grand Prix probably booked... LGB, Seal Beach, Carson, Lakewood and San Pedro. Hope they work it out [emoji848].

I have NO INFORMATION on Best Western, sorry, However I worked in Pedro 2014-16. Up to last year there was a homeless issue in that area. There are a couple of nice places to eat nearby, but I would drive. About 6-8 blocks of the Los Angeles cruise center

We stayed at the Best Western and it was not bad. My complaint was they "upgraded" us and it was in a separate unit behind the hotel, we had to drag our suitcases up three flights of stairs as there was no elevator. The area is a little sketchy. It's a very close taxi ride to the port. We are cruising out of San Pedro in April and I will look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We stayed at the Crown Plaza and liked it! This is an older hotel, but very well kept up and it only 3 mins away to ship. They have shuttle that runs every 20-30 minutes to ship for $5 pp. This hotel is full of cruisers, two shuttle vans, it's first come-first served. Luckily we checked out early, stood in line and got on the first van out.

The OP said the Crowne Plaza is fully booked the dates they need. That's why they're asking about Best Western.

We stayed there about a year ago. We arrived via Lyft around 11 pm and went straight in, so did not notice the "night life" in the area. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. The hotel management was great. There was a delay with the shuttle in the morning, so the manager grabbed another shuttle and drove us to the pier. I would stay there again.

We actually really liked it! I do agree with the local experts here that Gaffney street can be very noisy. If you are relying on their shuttle to the port, sign up for it as soon as you check in because they do run out of seats. First come first serve, and the earlier you sign up you get your pick of the shuttle times (the earliest times fill up first). The breakfast was pretty good and the staff there was wonderful. Also, if you are a Veteran, you qualify for their military rate which can be a huge savings so be sure to check that rate option.

~Denise

Sundiego, do you remember approximately what time you arrived at Best Western? I'm concerned about getting a reservation on the shuttle to the port. Our flight arrives at 3 PM and it will probably be going on 5 PM till we get to the hotel. Wonder if they'll be filled up by then?

Sundiego, do you remember approximately what time you arrived at Best Western? I'm concerned about getting a reservation on the shuttle to the port. Our flight arrives at 3 PM and it will probably be going on 5 PM till we get to the hotel. Wonder if they'll be filled up by then?

You can always just use Uber or a taxi....it’s not that long a ride...won’t cost much...

• 4 weeks later...

Did you try the Doubletree in San Pedro. They also have a shuttle (we used it for the evening before the cruise to get into downtown San Pedro for dinner) that takes you to the ship (I don't remember there being any charge) The hotel is a little more expensive but they included breakfast with their Park & Cruise package.

The last time we were there, we left the car for the entire 28 days cruise for no extra charge! We plan to use this hotel again in April 2018 for our 12 day Alaska cruise and our quote is $229.00 + taxes $35.95 =$264.95

Parking at the port is $18 per day so that would be $216.00 for the 12 days.

Hope this helps

We have stayed at this Best Western. We arrived at 9 pm and were able to get seats on the shuttle for the next day. Our room was quiet as it didn't face the street. Thought the free breakfast was good. Would stay there again especially if we were coming in at night.

Try the Doubletree hotel in city of Carson. They have the stay and park package, free shuttle service to the port. Near a shopping mall with lots of restaurants. About a 20 minuet ride to port. Let them know when you check in that you need shuttle to San Pedro port.

We stayed here November 4-18 while cruising on the Ruby princess and it worked great. Closer hotels were sold out so we gave this a try and we’re very happy with the hotel and the service we received

Sent from my iPhone using Forums