We got pickpocketed in Cartagena

puglvr0507

We are currently on the Reflection with an overnight port stay in Cartagena. Yesterday, on our first day, we elected to reserve an alcove for the day, and our plan was to go out at night and grab some dinner in Old Town. This proved to be a bad idea.

We had a very nice taxi driver, but he did warn us that there were a lot of people out celebrating their Independence Day. He dropped us at a restaurant and made plans to pick us back up. It was about 6pm, so it was dark, but tons of people milling the streets, and a large street type festival that was going on. I have travelled extensively in Europe, as has my husband, and I lived abroad for a while, so I was not concerned with the crowds.

While walking around, near the festival, we suddenly got surrounded by a group of people, and were sprayed with foam. By the time I realized what was happening, my husbands phone was gone from his pocket. He had one hand in each pocket, holding on to his wallet and phone, and I had a cross body bag, and I was holding on to him. They separted us, and my husband reached back for me, and that is when it happened. As quickly as they surrounded us, they were gone.

We just feel really violated, and we are on our honeymoon, so it just sucks.

I guess I'm just warning to constantly be aware. My husband is 6'5, and over 300 pounds, so they will mess with anyone.

At the end of the day, it's just a phone, and luckily they didn't get anything else, or mess with either of us. Really counting my blessings today! Also thankful we didn't upgrade our phones to the new iPhone before we left, as we were planning to do!

So today, we are still in Columbia, but we won't get off the boat, as we are just a bit gun shy at the moment. We'll take a day to lay by the pool and count our blessings!

I am so sorry this happened. Unfortunately this can happen in most cities around the world with the exception of places such as Singapore.

You are right. In the end, you both didn't get hurt and thankfully it was the phone and not the wallet and other items.

The good news is now you'll get a new iPhone.

Stay safe and I hope the rest of the trip is "uneventful" in terms of this kind of event but that you both enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Keith

Very scary! Thanks for posting.

I hope you reported the experience to guest services. They may even be able to assist with letting Colombian authorities know. This will not do you any good, (although your travel or home/rental insurance may cover the phone with a police report), but the more such reports that cruise lines get, the more pressure they can put on local authorities to take corrective action.

thank you for posting this.

We are on Reflection in two weeks and will also be going to Cartagena. Our itinerary, however, does not stay overnight so we'll only be there during the day.

We will, however, be extra careful thanks to you.:)

If you get a chance you might also post this on the Celebrity board.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, Riffatsea,

I'm sure you have great things to say, but I can't read any of them !  Could you please adjust your font size, so we people with old eyes can read them !  Thanks !!!

• Like 1