Guadeloupe Taxi Tours

printingchick

Anxious to hear from those who utilized taxi's to tour this port.

• What was the cost?
  • Was payment in USD was feasible or is exchanging cash into Euros required?
  • Do the drivers speak English?
  • Is there a specific cab company you'd recommend?
  • Is it something that could be arranged on-line in advance, as is the case with some cab companies in other ports of call?

If feasible from both a cost and language perspective, I think this would be the best option in this port. I'd like to hit the highlights, without spending $300/couple for an all-day excursion. If a taxi would be less expensive, or even the same cost without having to travel with a large group, I would prefer to go that route.

Thanks!!

• 5 years later...

We are arriving December 27th on the Pacific Princess. The ship hasn't posted any ship's tours as yet so we are looking for information on how successful we might be just walking off the ship and finding a reasonably priced, English speaking driver to show us the highlights of the island.

This thread was posted a long time ago and maybe it will get more traction now that more ships are going there.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing into Basse-Terre in January on Seabourn. Unfortunately, the terrible hurricane season has caused most cruise lines to utilize Caribbean islands that are less desirable. If islands like Guadeloupe were smart, they would be upping their tourism focus and use the opportunity to attract more cruise customers. I'm afraid that those of us who will be traveling in the next few months will be pioneers. We visited Guadeloupe on a cruise about 15 years ago. At that time, it was not a great destination. There were few English speakers and we spent our time strolling around town for awhile and then retreated back to the ship.

We are sailing into Basse-Terre in January on Seabourn. Unfortunately, the terrible hurricane season has caused most cruise lines to utilize Caribbean islands that are less desirable. If islands like Guadeloupe were smart, they would be upping their tourism focus and use the opportunity to attract more cruise customers. I'm afraid that those of us who will be traveling in the next few months will be pioneers. We visited Guadeloupe on a cruise about 15 years ago. At that time, it was not a great destination. There were few English speakers and we spent our time strolling around town for awhile and then retreated back to the ship.

We found the same to be true and have no desire to return. :(

We are arriving December 27th on the Pacific Princess. The ship hasn't posted any ship's tours as yet so we are looking for information on how successful we might be just walking off the ship and finding a reasonably priced, English speaking driver to show us the highlights of the island.

This thread was posted a long time ago and maybe it will get more traction now that more ships are going there.

We are also arriving to Guadeloupe on December 26, 2017 on the Norwegian Dawn.. Haven't been able to find out much about tours, taxi's, etc...Norwegian doesn't have anything at all about excursions for this port.. I called them yesterday and they said that they were working on it and hoped to have some info in 2 weeks...(Yikes!!!)

We are Geo-cachers and want to find a geo-cache on the island for our country count...Hoping we can find out some more info soon.

We found the same to be true and have no desire to return. :(

We were there 3 weeks ago. It was by far the most filthy port we have ever been to. Garbage all over the place, uneven sidewalks and rebar sticking out in the sidewalk. No one speaks English. Most people stayed on the ship and those that got off had the same experience as us. The Cruiseline offered very few tours and those filled up fast.

• 2 weeks later...
We were there 3 weeks ago. It was by far the most filthy port we have ever been to. Garbage all over the place, uneven sidewalks and rebar sticking out in the sidewalk. No one speaks English. Most people stayed on the ship and those that got off had the same experience as us. The Cruiseline offered very few tours and those filled up fast.

Still no excursions listed for this port on the NCL website...thanks for posting what you found about port

We are also arriving to Guadeloupe on December 26, 2017 on the Norwegian Dawn.. Haven't been able to find out much about tours, taxi's, etc...Norwegian doesn't have anything at all about excursions for this port.. I called them yesterday and they said that they were working on it and hoped to have some info in 2 weeks...(Yikes!!!)

We are Geo-cachers and want to find a geo-cache on the island for our country count...Hoping we can find out some more info soon.

We're geo cachers too so hoping to drop off some travel bugs from UK!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just returned from Guadeloupe. Didn't take a taxi tour, but did take a taxi to Datcha Beach in Le Gosier which is 10 minutes from the port. 30 euros each way. Most cabbies only speak French and prefer the Euro. Nice beach but very crowded.

Was food/beverages available at this beach? Chairs? Umbrellas?

Thanks in advance!

Ugh.....not liking the sound of this.. our ship is only there 6 hours so we didn't book an excursion, thinking of just checking out the town, thinking there would be vendors, possibly selling souvenirs/crafts/local crap that tourists buy....?

Also, this is the only port we're visiting that prefers euros. Sounds like I don't need to bother converting any before we cruise.

If you are into walking, go right from the port terminal. There is a lovely walk along the water with wide sidewalks. The vendors are set up across the street. It was obvious that they are trying to encourage cruise ships as the tourist board asked us questions on our experience visiting Guadeloupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ugh.....not liking the sound of this.. our ship is only there 6 hours so we didn't book an excursion, thinking of just checking out the town, thinking there would be vendors, possibly selling souvenirs/crafts/local crap that tourists buy....?

Also, this is the only port we're visiting that prefers euros. Sounds like I don't need to bother converting any before we cruise.

My mistake - we DID book an excursion at this port! However, it's been my experience that tipping the tour operator is customary - do you recommend getting some euros for this purpose? I'm thinking now that maybe I will just get a minimal amount as I have no other use for euros in the foreseeable future.