Running back and forth to the ship in Nassau?

nelsod01

New to cruising and new to this board, so I apologize if this isn't the proper place to ask this.

Going on our first cruise in March to Nassau on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas. I'm trying to figure out our shore day schedule. We will be in port docked all day 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. and I have a couple questions.

1. Is it realistic to go back to the ship for lunch or a quick wardrobe change between excursions, or to drop off soggy dive gear? How long does it take to get back on and off again if we do try to go back and forth, or should I just plan on hauling everything I need for the day with me everywhere.

2. Is there anything to do if we get off in the early evening say 6:00 - 8:00. Most stuff I see closes at 6:00, so would it even be safe to be wandering around at that time.

I'm slightly type A, so please don't tell me I'm on vacation so relax, . Not gonna happen. :D But once I have a plan A, and a couple B-C options, I am able to dial things back a couple notches.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your suggestions.

We were in Nassau in June and while we did not have a

formal excursion we did go back to the ship for lunch and then out again.

Thanks, now I know it can be done, but how much of an ordeal is it or how much time did it take to get on and back off the ship? Is it like airport security or is it pretty quick on and off?

We currently have a 90 minute break between diving and a tour and were wondering if it's enough time to run back to the ship and dump our soggy dive gear, freshen up and maybe grab a quick snack. If we were in a land based hotel, we'd have plenty of time. We're pretty quick eaters and changers, but if there is a long process to get back on and off the ship we may need to just drag our wet gear around or shuffle our shore itinerary.

There will be a security check when you re-enter your ship, but it is quick and ought to be done efficiently. If there is a long line of your fellow guests wanting to re-board at the same time, it will take longer than if there is either a small line or none at all.

Thanks, now I know it can be done, but how much of an ordeal is it or how much time did it take to get on and back off the ship? Is it like airport security or is it pretty quick on and off?

We currently have a 90 minute break between diving and a tour and were wondering if it's enough time to run back to the ship and dump our soggy dive gear, freshen up and maybe grab a quick snack. If we were in a land based hotel, we'd have plenty of time. We're pretty quick eaters and changers, but if there is a long process to get back on and off the ship we may need to just drag our wet gear around or shuffle our shore itinerary.

I think it depends on where one excursion leaves you off and the other picks you up. If it is right outside the port, then you should be OK. It is about a 3 - 5 minute walk from the port entrance to the ship. On/off is straight forward.

The biggest time-suck is the walk to the ship, then up the elevator, to your cabin, etc. Depending on how far down the pier you are....

Is it a hassle getting through security and back on the ship and comparable to an airport? Depends. Is it a hassle getting back on the ship? No. Is it a hassle getting through security at an airport anymore? No, not really. Getting on the ship is like PreCheck.

So simply, don't expect it to take ages to get through security and back on the ship. It's basically trivial. But it does take time to traverse the port and get back to the ship, then back out again.

The biggest time-suck is the walk to the ship, then up the elevator, to your cabin, etc. Depending on how far down the pier you are....

Agree with the above.

Still, with a long post day it would probably be worth your time. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Nassau in June and plan to be back in December (even though it is not our favorite port). We used to go to the beach but in December will probably do a self guided walking tour to the Queens Staircase. Earlier this year we did some shopping at the straw market.

When you get back to the port area, you have to have your passport and you go through security, then once through that you walk back to your ship, and go through their security. Second part isn't bad, first part, well if there are 5 ships in port, and you are going back to your ship when everyone else is, that could take 5-10 extra.

I am not going to say that you are on vaca, and need to chill, cause I too was maybe still am a type A too, but my DH isn't, and I had to learn that the hard way. It's his vacation too.

When you get back to the port area, you have to have your passport and you go through security, then once through that you walk back to your ship, and go through their security. .

Unless something has changed recently, which I strongly doubt, you don't need your passport but you do need a government-issued photo ID.

New to cruising and new to this board, so I apologize if this isn't the proper place to ask this.

Going on our first cruise in March to Nassau on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas. I'm trying to figure out our shore day schedule. We will be in port docked all day 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. and I have a couple questions.

1. Is it realistic to go back to the ship for lunch or a quick wardrobe change between excursions, or to drop off soggy dive gear? How long does it take to get back on and off again if we do try to go back and forth, or should I just plan on hauling everything I need for the day with me everywhere.

2. Is there anything to do if we get off in the early evening say 6:00 - 8:00. Most stuff I see closes at 6:00, so would it even be safe to be wandering around at that time.

I'm slightly type A, so please don't tell me I'm on vacation so relax, . Not gonna happen. :D But once I have a plan A, and a couple B-C options, I am able to dial things back a couple notches.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your suggestions.

If the dive company brings you right back to the entrance of where you walk back to the ship I would say yes- you would have time. I personally would cancel the tour, do the dive, go back to the ship to freshen up and have lunch and then go back off the ship to look around on your own. Go up Queens staircase, have a horse drawn carriage take you on a short history tour , visit straw market, take water taxi over to the Atlantis and walk around, visit their beach, etc. You can do all this things very easily at your own pace and not have to rush from place to place👍

• 2 weeks later...

You could go to Senor Frogs ... just for the FUN of it! :D