Disney Cruise

eileenfa

Hello:

After being on Carnival for a few years and this

Year getting Norovirus on there new ship Vista.

I wanted to see if or has Disney has or had

It on there ships? I have been to Disney World

Over [emoji817] times and never been sick there.

I just hadn’t been on the cruise ship with them.

Thank you .

Norovirus is everywhere--at schools, at the grocery store, at the library, church, wherever you go AND on cruise ships. The big difference is in the reporting requirements. A public school is required to report to the USPH service when 10% of their "population" is absent. On a cruise ship, a report is mandated when 3% of their "population" (which means crew + guests) are known to be ill.

DCL has an excellent cleaning program, and is constantly cleaning public spaces where diseases are most likely to be spread--things like elevator buttons, public restrooms, etc. Noro is spread by hand to mouth contact--a person gets the virus on their hand and then places their hand in or near their mouth. It is suppressed by good handwashing and cleaning surfaces that are most likely to be contaminated. You'll see DCL doing their part all over the ship (we don't see nearly as much obvious cleaning on some other lines). They teach hand-washing in the kid programming! So it is up to each guest to do his or her part--wash your hands thoroughly after using the restroom, before meals, and any time that it seems like a good idea. Some people advocate using an elbow or a tissue when pressing elevator buttons. Wash your hands some more and consciously keep them away from your face. Don't get on the ship if you are sick--there is no need to spread your joy with fellow passengers!

The fact that a cruise ship has to make a noro report does not mean it is a good or a bad line. A couple of guests spreading it around can make any line look bad. To answer your question--DCL has had one report on one ship, and that was many years ago. They also once canceled a cruise in order to "deep clean" their ships at a time when other lines were having huge issues. At that point, it was a preventitive issue as DCL had not had problems.

There are probably people with noro on almost every cruise--the idea is to keep it from spreading.

Norovirus is everywhere--at schools' date=' at the grocery store, at the library, church, wherever you go AND on cruise ships. The big difference is in the reporting requirements. A public school is required to report to the USPH service when 10% of their "population" is absent. On a cruise ship, a report is mandated when 3% of their "population" (which means crew + guests) are known to be ill.

DCL has an excellent cleaning program, and is constantly cleaning public spaces where diseases are most likely to be spread--things like elevator buttons, public restrooms, etc. Noro is spread by hand to mouth contact--a person gets the virus on their hand and then places their hand in or near their mouth. It is suppressed by good handwashing and cleaning surfaces that are most likely to be contaminated. You'll see DCL doing their part all over the ship (we don't see nearly as much obvious cleaning on some other lines). They teach hand-washing in the kid programming! So it is up to each guest to do his or her part--wash your hands thoroughly after using the restroom, before meals, and any time that it seems like a good idea. Some people advocate using an elbow or a tissue when pressing elevator buttons. Wash your hands some more and consciously keep them away from your face. Don't get on the ship if you are sick--there is no need to spread your joy with fellow passengers!

The fact that a cruise ship has to make a noro report does not mean it is a good or a bad line. A couple of guests spreading it around can make any line look bad. To answer your question--DCL has had one report on one ship, and that was many years ago. They also once canceled a cruise in order to "deep clean" their ships at a time when other lines were having huge issues. At that point, it was a preventitive issue as DCL had not had problems.

There are probably people with noro on almost every cruise--the idea is to keep it from spreading.[/quote']

I’m just wondering. I went on a ship on November 4 not sick and by November 6 I was sick. Still sick to this day. It affected the low immune system people and elderly. Disney seems to keep ahold of it on land. So I was wondering at sea? I can’t do another cruise like that again. Thank you for your time.

I’m just wondering. I went on a ship on November 4 not sick and by November 6 I was sick. Still sick to this day. It affected the low immune system people and elderly. Disney seems to keep ahold of it on land. So I was wondering at sea? I can’t do another cruise like that again. Thank you for your time.

If you’re still sick to this day, it’s not from noro. That seems to pass within a couple days and that’s it. Are you sure you didn’t get E. coli or salmonella? That can have lingering effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you’re still sick to this day, it’s not from noro. That seems to pass within a couple days and that’s it. Are you sure you didn’t get E. coli or salmonella? That can have lingering effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. I didn’t. I was tested when I flew home .

But, thank you. I’m really wondering about

Getting sick on Dcl that’s all. If not I’m

Staying going to Disney world. Thank you

No. I didn’t. I was tested when I flew home .

But, thank you. I’m really wondering about

Getting sick on Dcl that’s all. If not I’m

Staying going to Disney world. Thank you

As noted, Disney ships are just a likely to have a noro outbreak as any other ship. Noro is present pretty much everywhere.

Whether you get it or not, basically depends on your personal hygiene practices.Wash hands frequently. Don't touch your mouth or eyes after touching anything onboard.

If you got on the ship Nov 4 well, and were sick by Nov 6, I doubt you actually got it onboard. Seems pretty quick. And Noro is usually fairly short in it's duration. But it can wipe you out for several days.

No one can ever promise that you won't get sick on a ship...or at WDW. All we can say is that DCL has as good a track record as any cruise line out there and better than many. And just like at WDW, they are constantly cleaning and disinfecting. They don't want people out there saying that they got sick at Disney--whether the parks or the ships!

The other posters are correct--noro is a very short lived illness, lasting only a few days. But they can be a pretty horrible few days, especially when you were supposed to be enjoying a vacation!

No one can ever promise that you won't get sick on a ship...or at WDW. All we can say is that DCL has as good a track record as any cruise line out there and better than many. And just like at WDW' date=' they are constantly cleaning and disinfecting. They don't want people out there saying that they got sick at Disney--whether the parks or the ships!

The other posters are correct--noro is a very short lived illness, lasting only a few days. But they can be a pretty horrible few days, especially when you were supposed to be enjoying a vacation![/quote']

Thank you very much. The wonder had it last year. I’m not going to try it. Thank you for all

The feedback. I will stay on land.

Thank you very much. The wonder had it last year. I’m not going to try it. Thank you for all

you can also get noro on land - my daughter did a few years back...(probably in a restaurant)...

it's a virus..you can get it on land, on sea, in air....

not a ship board plague..

I’ve had Noro a few times I seem to be prone to it. Mostly on land once at DW and twice on cruise ships but not Disney. The only way to prevent it is to stay in your home and never leave. If you don’t feel comfortable on a cruise ship that’s up to you. But I wouldn’t avoid a cruise just for that reason.

you can also get noro on land - my daughter did a few years back...(probably in a restaurant)...

it's a virus..you can get it on land, on sea, in air....

not a ship board plague..

(This is going to sound off topic)

I was watching one of those police reality shows (state troopers in Maine, or some place like that). They were responding to a solo hiker who had fallen ill up in the mountains.

When they got the hiker to the hospital, after being rescued, it was determined he had Noro virus. All by himself, out there, in the wilderness.

OP, I agree with CedricandSophie - I wouldn't avoid a cruise just because a ship had Noro onboard in the past. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were a cruise ship anywhere that hasn't had it aboard at some point.

(This is going to sound off topic)

I was watching one of those police reality shows (state troopers in Maine, or some place like that). They were responding to a solo hiker who had fallen ill up in the mountains.

When they got the hiker to the hospital, after being rescued, it was determined he had Noro virus. All by himself, out there, in the wilderness.

OP, I agree with CedricandSophie - I wouldn't avoid a cruise just because a ship had Noro onboard in the past. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were a cruise ship anywhere that hasn't had it aboard at some point.

that's a great story!!

That makes absolutely no sense.

Going that long, it’s either not noro or you should be checked out for an immune system issue.

Your chance of getting noro in your day-to-day life is exponentially higher than it is aboard a Disney ship.

Yep.

My son and I got it on land, at home. Because our handwashing practices were terrible at home.

In a ship we won’t use the chemicals, so we constantly wash our hands and keep hands away from our mouths. At home we never wash before meals (we do wash after the bathroom though!!!!!) so anything on our hands from the store or the YMCA etc is passed right to our mouths. Boom, noro.

I have a infection in the intestines. On meds

For it. Just got the meds . Thank you for wondering

This long gone, it can’t be noro. Did you have your stools cultured?

If you are still sick, it might not be norovirus. It is probably past time for a diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yep.

Whether you get it or not, basically depends on your personal hygiene practices.Wash hands frequently. Don't touch your mouth or eyes after touching anything onboard.

Yep.

• 3 weeks later...

The sad thing is that many people who are sick and did not purchase insurance say" I'm not missing my cruise, even if I am sick" So they bring whatever they have to spread with everyone else. I know all of you are saying I would never do this but I heard a person at the Disney terminal once make this very remark as she was hacking up a lung!

Another place where Noro can be contracted and spread quickly is on an aircraft flying to, or from your destination, whether on land or at sea. The problem is you very likely won't show symptoms until after you get where you are going and then you blame the cruise, hotel, etc.

Hello:

After being on Carnival for a few years and this

Year getting Norovirus on there new ship Vista.

I wanted to see if or has Disney has or had

It on there ships? I have been to Disney World

Over [emoji817] times and never been sick there.

I just hadn’t been on the cruise ship with them.

Thank you .

My family contracted Noro on land - at Disney World - in fact! It was 2011 and we were staying at Coronado Springs. There were people getting sick all over the place!