Visit to Petra

zwho

Hi! I will be on the MSC Lirica on Nov. 2nd and we dock in Aqaba, Jordan on Nov. 9th The ship apparently has no planned excursions that I can see, (which is ok with me, as they are too expensive for me and too large, usually). The roll call for the cruise is very small and it also seems no one is interested in forming a group for a private tour guide to Petra. So my problem is that I need to find a reasonably priced way to get there, get a tour and get back to my ship! I know that it's a 2 hr-ish trip and that gas is expensive. I also know it costs 72USD to get into Petra. But the cheapest quote for 2 people I have found is 250USD per person. 235 for 4 people. Does anyone know if there are cheaper options..? I would be happy to hook on to another tour, but am afraid to not have someone outside the port waiting for me, as our timeline is tight! 10:00 to 6:00! Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mary

We visited Petra with our ship's tour, but when we researched it online, we found several other companies that will pick you up at the pier. First, look on the Middle East board of Cruise Critic for other travelers' recommendations. Or else google Petra Shore Excursions. No matter how you do it, this day will be one of the highlights of your entire cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi! I will be on the MSC Lirica on Nov. 2nd and we dock in Aqaba, Jordan on Nov. 9th The ship apparently has no planned excursions that I can see, (which is ok with me, as they are too expensive for me and too large, usually). The roll call for the cruise is very small and it also seems no one is interested in forming a group for a private tour guide to Petra. So my problem is that I need to find a reasonably priced way to get there, get a tour and get back to my ship! I know that it's a 2 hr-ish trip and that gas is expensive. I also know it costs 72USD to get into Petra. But the cheapest quote for 2 people I have found is 250USD per person. 235 for 4 people. Does anyone know if there are cheaper options..? I would be happy to hook on to another tour, but am afraid to not have someone outside the port waiting for me, as our timeline is tight! 10:00 to 6:00! Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mary

You might like to look at the Wonders Travel and Tourism site. They have an excellent offer for Petra from your ship for 135$ per person. Yaseen has been extremely helpful ... our trip is on November 17th.

Morven

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 1:58 AM, Scotswoman said:

You might like to look at the Wonders Travel and Tourism site. They have an excellent offer for Petra from your ship for 135$ per person. Yaseen has been extremely helpful ... our trip is on November 17th.

Morven

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi morven..did you take the tour to Petra with Wonders Travel and how was it

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We used  “Jordan Horizons”
www.jo-horizonstours.com

Had super results and a great experience!!  Many pictures and details can be seen from my live/blog that is connected below.  We got up earlier and did BOTH Petra and Wadi Rum for our day in Jordan.  So glad we pushed ourself.  As this article below details, Petra is amazing.  BUT, Wadi Rum was like the "frosting on the cake"!!

From the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: “Why travelling through Jordan with total strangers beats going solo” as a profile with many details and options to consider for Jordan.  

Here are some of their story highlights: “In Petra, the tour takes flight for me, after a trek through a steep-sided gorge suddenly reveals the ruined sixth-century city crowned in 2007 as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. We stare at the facade of the famous Treasury, the space in front of it cluttered by hundreds of tourists, hawkers, camels and horses for hire. It is a remarkable sight.  Wadi Rum is a majestic landscape of towering sandstone mountains, natural arches and canyons for what is the highlight of my trip. Arriving at our humble camp in a blaze of dust at sunset, we perch on a rock to watch the sky turn orange. We are silent as darkness falls across ancient riverbeds, stretches of desert and humped mountains.”

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/middle-east/jordan/articles/solo-travel-Jordan/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From this UK profile on Jordan, below are a few of their dramatic visuals, including the first two below from the wonderful Wadi Rum that we loved exploring.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

128782227_ScreenShot2019-04-06at5_23_03PM.thumb.png.31d921d40551a743c56fc7869a88e62f.png

946614828_ScreenShot2019-04-06at5_23_27PM.thumb.png.63e24ba14cc6a1f7c55d00fac1ac827d.png

Here is one of their views of the famed Treasury at Petra.:

1182434345_ScreenShot2019-04-06at5_24_03PM.thumb.png.8f065bde804212cf5d5ecd614949251e.png