Suite letdown

Coffeeluvr05

Just off our Alaskan cruise on the Grand. Second time in a full suite (window suite) and am pretty sure I will never book a suite again on Princess. Amenities are over promised and under delivered. I provided all my feedback in my cruise survey already. Just frustrated that I paid so much for this trip and Princess really fell short. I shouldn’t have to ask for things that are supposed to be provided as part of a suite booking.

Don’t get me wrong, I did not let it impact my enjoyment because we had a wonderful time. I just feel like I could have had the same experience and paid half the price like most everyone else!

Have you ever felt this way and what did you do? Or can anything really be done other than chalk it up to a lesson learned!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot really say, since I do not know what was delivered.

A significantly bigger cabin, a really nice bathroom, the mini bar setup, speciality dining, Club Dining, and free quick Laundry was delivered during our Princess suite experience.

I will admit that the benefits that usually are included with a Celebrity suite are significantly better on Celebrity.

Boy do we need more specifics.

Which amenities were missing?

For the ones you had to ask for, did you receive them in a timely manner? Or not at all?

Did you escalate your issues beyond just your cabin steward?

I take it your previous Suite experience was not in a Window Suite but a higher category. What specifically was better the first time?

(From previous postings about the Window Suites I gather the stewards assigned to them are doing double duty with some regular cabins right below on Plaza Deck. Perhaps this was his/her very first time attending to a Suite)

Let’s see, 2 bottles of warm champagne were delivered and we never did drink them. The moment was kind of lost.

There were no other bathroom amenities other than body wash, shampoo, conditioner.

Sheets were not changed daily as promised. In fact I had to ask for clean pillow cases one evening after realizing they had not been changed in several days. Daily fresh bed linens are promised as a suite amenity. When I went to guest services the next morning to address the issue I got an attitude and defensiveness and was refused my request to speak to the hotel manager. The girl standing next to her listening in was told to make a call and I have no idea who was called or what was done and I no one ever followed up with me. I just wasn’t going to chase problems down.

The room steward insisted that same day laundry was not free and told me I would be charged for marking same day service. I wasn’t, but he should know. Clearly he didn’t, but it’s not my job to inform him.

Club class is no different as far as service goes. Having experienced regular dining I can attest to this. The only difference is the table linens, flowers, and additional entrees. We mostly ordered from the menu. Our choice, yes. The additional offerings were not super special, just different. Soda my husband ordered was flat every single time in the dining room. On the last day we were told the soda machine in the da Vinci dining had been broken for months. WTH?

I’d like to be understanding and I normally am, but we spent too much on this trip to just let it go.

At the end of our trip, the steward apparently thought all of the patters, menus, tour books, etc. we’re trash and discarded them! He got them back to us, but I was appalled he would touch our things and throw them away instead of just relocating them.

I think our first suite experience was when club class dining was new and there was a higher level of service.

Princess dropped the ball and I still had to pay full price.

I just returned from a round trip sailing on the Golden (window suite) and in the process of composing my evaluation to Princess. It is my understanding that bed linens are changed every few days (not every day). I did receive a "sleep" amenity kit. Tubes of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel were given instead of shower dispensers. Bath salts were also included (along with q-tip/cotton packets).

My disappointments were in the canopies selections and "enhanced" chocolates on formal nights. Both were not to my liking.

They are slowly chipping away suite amenities. They are no longer printing personalized stationary and trading a mini-bar in for coffee cards are a joke.

No dvd players nor movies on demand.

I do hope Princess understands that they do need to up their game rather than chip away at perks. I will also include Elite perks that have seemed to cheapened in my summary to Princess.

I will continue to book Window Suites. I love the location and the price is very reasonable when comparing them to deluxe CC minis/or full balcony suites.

Let’s see, 2 bottles of warm champagne were delivered and we never did drink them. The moment was kind of lost. You didn't just ask for 2 cold bottles or, alternatively, put the warm ones in the fridge for drinking later?

There were no other bathroom amenities other than body wash, shampoo, conditioner. Someone dropped the ball since they should have been there but a simple note to the steward (if you didn't see him/her in the hall) should have worked.

Sheets were not changed daily as promised. Where is this listed as a suite perk? I didn't see it on https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf nor have I ever experienced it in a Princess suite but it has been a few years since we were in a full suite. In fact I had to ask for clean pillow cases one evening after realizing they had not been changed in several days. How long was your cruise? I think bed linens are changed mid-way through a 7 day cruise. Daily fresh bed linens are promised as a suite amenity. Again, where was this stated? When I went to guest services the next morning to address the issue I got an attitude and defensiveness and was refused my request to speak to the hotel manager. The girl standing next to her listening in was told to make a call and I have no idea who was called or what was done and I no one ever followed up with me. I just wasn’t going to chase problems down.

The room steward insisted that same day laundry was not free and told me I would be charged for marking same day service. I wasn’t, but he should know. Clearly he didn’t, but it’s not my job to inform him. He should have known but since you did, how did this impact your cruise?

Club class is no different as far as service goes. Having experienced regular dining I can attest to this. The only difference is the table linens, flowers, and additional entrees. We mostly ordered from the menu. Our choice, yes. The additional offerings were not super special, just different. Soda my husband ordered was flat every single time in the dining room. On the last day we were told the soda machine in the da Vinci dining had been broken for months. WTH?

I’d like to be understanding and I normally am, but we spent too much on this trip to just let it go.

At the end of our trip, the steward apparently thought all of the patters, menus, tour books, etc. we’re trash and discarded them! He got them back to us, but I was appalled he would touch our things and throw them away instead of just relocating them.

I think our first suite experience was when club class dining was new and there was a higher level of service.

Princess dropped the ball and I still had to pay full price. So what do you consider to be a fair price? How much did these issues impact your cruise?

I think you should have talked to the steward's supervisor and, if necessary, the hotel manager and not waited until completing the survey. Given that you had experienced a full suite on Princess before it definitely sounds like the steward did not meet your expectations from the start. Also, I am really curious as to where daily fresh linens are listed as a full suite amenity.

We are currently sailing in our 6th suite (Penthouse, Owner's, Premium) on the Majestic Princess (also on the Star, Grand, and Pacific) and we received everything we expected and some extras (corsage/boutonniere for formal night, swapped out our drooping orchid plant for a new one). Sheets changed every day as part of the upgraded turndown service, same day complimentary laundry (out by 9am, returned that evening).

They brought our 2 bottles of water per day all at once (24 bottles)

We had a standing order for just 2 Grand Marnier Profiteroles delivered each night at 7 pm. Got the upgraded chocolates on formal nights.

Perhaps your room steward dropped the ball.

I'm quoting this portion of the OP's response not to question or critique it but to emphasize its importance. Because this issue has been cited before on this board. And on some of Princess' corporate siblings as well.

Any Patters, maps or handouts you wish to take home with you need to be stashed in your suitcase no later than first thing the penultimate morning onboard, before your steward does any cabin service that day. For they are expected to start clearing out the cabin in preparation for the next passengers that soon in advance. And the consistency with which they do this clearly indicates orders from above. My loss was not the Patters but all my personal hangers and dry cleaning bags which were on the shelf above the closet area. The steward came into the cabin very early evening before I returned to finish packing before late sitting dinner and discarded them. I was offered some other hangers as a replacement--presumably that had been trashed from some other cabin. I just chalked it up to lesson learned, and now hide the Patters as I receive the next one.

I'm quoting this portion of the OP's response not to question or critique it but to emphasize its importance. Because this issue has been cited before on this board. And on some of Princess' corporate siblings as well.

Any Patters, maps or handouts you wish to take home with you need to be stashed in your suitcase no later than first thing the penultimate morning onboard, before your steward does any cabin service that day. For they are expected to start clearing out the cabin in preparation for the next passengers that soon in advance. And the consistency with which they do this clearly indicates orders from above. My loss was not the Patters but all my personal hangers and dry cleaning bags which were on the shelf above the closet area. The steward came into the cabin very early evening before I returned to finish packing before late sitting dinner and discarded them. I was offered some other hangers as a replacement--presumably that had been trashed from some other cabin. I just chalked it up to lesson learned, and now hide the Patters as I receive the next one.

This is completely wrong on the stewards side, the passenger has paid for his cabin until 8am on disembarkatday, to pre clear tidy out a room is wrong. Princess have cut back on the number of stewards so much they are forced into this.

Let’s see, 2 bottles of warm champagne were delivered and we never did drink them. The moment was kind of lost.

There were no other bathroom amenities other than body wash, shampoo, conditioner.

Sheets were not changed daily as promised. In fact I had to ask for clean pillow cases one evening after realizing they had not been changed in several days. Daily fresh bed linens are promised as a suite amenity. When I went to guest services the next morning to address the issue I got an attitude and defensiveness and was refused my request to speak to the hotel manager. The girl standing next to her listening in was told to make a call and I have no idea who was called or what was done and I no one ever followed up with me. I just wasn’t going to chase problems down.

The room steward insisted that same day laundry was not free and told me I would be charged for marking same day service. I wasn’t, but he should know. Clearly he didn’t, but it’s not my job to inform him.

Princess dropped the ball and I still had to pay full price.

I will tell you what I would tell anyone in your position. Write up your experience and your issues in a Word document or a text document. Be civil. From the tenor of your post I don't believe you are one to rant and rave. Keep that "voice" in your note. Send your note as an attachment to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Be sure to include all of your contact information in the note. Name, address, phone (both cell and land line if you have one) cruise number, booking number, the name of the clueless steward (but of course don't describe him/her as clueless), the name - if you have it - of the customer service rep you spoke with, etc. Include absolutely everything regarding the cruise. In the note carefully, comprehensively, and dispassionately describe your issues. Expect to receive a phone call. It may take a week or two but I sincerely believe you will receive a call. Discuss your issues with the caller. This sort of thing is not supposed to happen and is not acceptable.

• Like 1

This is completely wrong on the stewards side, the passenger has paid for his cabin until 8am on disembarkatday, to pre clear tidy out a room is wrong. Princess have cut back on the number of stewards so much they are forced into this.

I asked my steward if I could leave my carry on in my stateroom while I enjoyed breakfast. He asked if he could start the cleaning process. I agreed. To my surprise, "getting ready" did begin the night before. The used toilet paper roll was replaced. The wire hangers were removed at the evening turn down. Glassware was set up for the next cruise (although we did use one of the set). The fruit basket was removed several days prior since the fruit was turning bad (but not replaced). The chair by the window was moved to the original spot. Small but very efficient noticeable tidying up. He did not touch my items on either desks. I didn't mind knowing how difficult turn around days are.

I agree that the suite perks are not what they use to be. I personally wish the window suites would move down a category and be called something else. I have heard many regular suite people say that the difference in WS compaired to theirs. They are paying top dollar for their cabins and sometimes those WS go for less than half the price. Sabitini's is a sounding board for many people. Just like minisuites should drop the suite - so many new people actually think they are in a suite and shold get the suite perks. I have heard more people complain about their service in them and about lousy stewards in the window suites and I also think it is because they have to work another deck. People say they never can get a hold of them, their laundry is not picked up, no menus, just so many complaints.

We have been booking suites for many years and have also been getting frustrated with the perks disappearing. We say we will not book them anymore but when it comes down to it, we love the larger cabins and aft balconies. Watching the wake is so relaxing for us.

We have done four cruises since the club class dining started and have been more than pleased. Last year we enjoyed club class more than breakfast in Sabitini's. They changed staff everyday and interacting with them was half the fun so we just went to club class instead.

Yes, suite sheets should be changed everyday. Although many times they are fine so I make the bed and tell them not to change them. Heck, we don't change sheets everyday at home so why should be do it on the ship or hotel. I have wanted to leave a note at hotels saying "you don't need to change my sheets daily BUT I will be looking for a $5 discount".

Sorry you had a bad experience.

We enjoyed our only suite experience last year. Our laundry came back the next day instead of same day, but that was because our cabin steward never picked it up by 9. I'm not crazy about the canapes. We put our bottles of champagne in the refrigerator.

Can one of you tell me exactly what the minibar set up is?

I think I remember about eight miniatures and 2/4 cans of soda? Maybe?

I know you can trade gin for rum, Diet Coke for Coke.

My memory is too vague.

My memory is too vague.

Here you go, anywhere you see Elite, read Suite. You can't change for rum - they don't have it as minis. Can only trade like for like:

Princess Elite Mini-bar

Question:What will my mini-bar consist of?

Answer:Elite members will get a one-time complimentary mini-bar set-up (1per Elite stateroom) which consists of two (2) miniature bottles each ofCognac, Gin, Vodka and Scotch Whisky, two (2) 12 ounce cans of beer, two (2) 12ounce cans/bottles of tonic water, two (2) 12 ounce cans of Coca Cola, two (2)12 ounce cans of Sprite, two (2) 0.5 liter bottles of water, two (2) 11 ouncebottles of Perrier. The contents of the mini-bar are subject to change.

Question:What if I have a specific request for how I’d like my mini-barstocked?

Answer:Your mini-bar will consist of a selection of liquors, soft drinks,beer, still and sparkling water. Once on board, you may contact Room Service tochange your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?

Answer:You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of winevalued at $40 or less.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for full bottles ofliquor?

Answer:No. Miniature bottles of liquor (50 ml) may be exchanged on aone-for-one basis with other miniature bottles.

Question:Can I exchange the non-alcoholic items in my Elite mini-bar foralcohol?

Answer:No. Non-alcoholic beverages may be exchanged on a one-for-onebasis with other non-alcoholic varieties.

Question:What if I don't want any alcohol in my Elite mini-bar?

Answer:If you do not wish to have any alcohol in your mini-bar we will behappy to exchange your mini-bar for one of the following:

• Alcoholic beverages may be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverages on a one-for-one basis
  • Full mini-bar may be exchanged for two (2) Coffee Cards
  • All water mini-bar setup will consist of eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water

My memory is too vague.

Two Pictures of what was in ours last year & you can see the brands. Seems to be somewhat consistent although

the beer might change since this Caribbean Cruise that included Mexico.

44910310081_d801df72a9_c.jpgBar2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

43098442820_175c551d90_c.jpgBar1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I will tell you what I would tell anyone in your position. Write up your experience and your issues in a Word document or a text document. Be civil. From the tenor of your post I don't believe you are one to rant and rave. Keep that "voice" in your note. Send your note as an attachment to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Be sure to include all of your contact information in the note. Name, address, phone (both cell and land line if you have one) cruise number, booking number, the name of the clueless steward (but of course don't describe him/her as clueless), the name - if you have it - of the customer service rep you spoke with, etc. Include absolutely everything regarding the cruise. In the note carefully, comprehensively, and dispassionately describe your issues. Expect to receive a phone call. It may take a week or two but I sincerely believe you will receive a call. Discuss your issues with the caller. This sort of thing is not supposed to happen and is not acceptable.

Thank you! I will most certainly do that.

We had a window suite on the Grand a few years ago and had a marvelous experience. We ordered a DVD to watch, had room service formal night dinner delivered, enjoyed the free champagne, faster laundry (than Elite), upgraded amenities, etc. I’m sorry yours sucked; it should have been seamless and wonderful.

We always get a suite when available. We had to stay a"mini-suite" once cuz the "Suites" were all booked. Suites are better, and in my own humble opinion... worth the extra. I see lots of people on this site who stay in interior rooms, obstructed views, next to the nightclub, and or by a busy passage. To each their own I say... Lax et Lux.

Here you go, anywhere you see Elite, read Suite. You can't change for rum - they don't have it as minis. Can only trade like for like:

Princess Elite Mini-bar

Question:What will my mini-bar consist of?

Answer:Elite members will get a one-time complimentary mini-bar set-up (1per Elite stateroom) which consists of two (2) miniature bottles each ofCognac, Gin, Vodka and Scotch Whisky, two (2) 12 ounce cans of beer, two (2) 12ounce cans/bottles of tonic water, two (2) 12 ounce cans of Coca Cola, two (2)12 ounce cans of Sprite, two (2) 0.5 liter bottles of water, two (2) 11 ouncebottles of Perrier. The contents of the mini-bar are subject to change.

Question:What if I have a specific request for how I’d like my mini-barstocked?

Answer:Your mini-bar will consist of a selection of liquors, soft drinks,beer, still and sparkling water. Once on board, you may contact Room Service tochange your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?

Answer:You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of winevalued at $40 or less.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for full bottles ofliquor?

Answer:No. Miniature bottles of liquor (50 ml) may be exchanged on aone-for-one basis with other miniature bottles.

Question:Can I exchange the non-alcoholic items in my Elite mini-bar foralcohol?

Answer:No. Non-alcoholic beverages may be exchanged on a one-for-onebasis with other non-alcoholic varieties.

Question:What if I don't want any alcohol in my Elite mini-bar?

Answer:If you do not wish to have any alcohol in your mini-bar we will behappy to exchange your mini-bar for one of the following:

•  
  • Alcoholic beverages may be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverages on a one-for-one basis

• Full mini-bar may be exchanged for two (2) Coffee Cards

• All water mini-bar setup will consist of eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water

•  

Thank you. Exactly what I needed.

In over 20 sailings with Princess, we finally booked one of the window suites on the Grand a few months ago. It was fantastic, although, my only disappointment was that the jets in the tub spewed out rusty water. I drained it and tried again ... same thing. I reported it on the survey stating I was willing to be contacted about it but never heard back. Also, the shower could have used a good overhaul but the rest of the cabin was in decent shape with the exception of needing a new sofa. The Grand seems to hang onto that furniture way too long after its prime. One other issue was that they stated the Club Class dining wasn't open for lunch on the dayAs of embarkation. I surely thought they knew what they were talking about but heard that this is one of the perks and so maybe it was just closed for our particular sailing. Not a big deal in the long run.

Other than that, I loved everything about the window suites and booked the same one for next year along with my neighbors, who will be in the cabin right next door. I haven't had anything to compare it to as I'd never cruised in a suite before. And, as I got a good deal on that past sailing, I also got a great deal on my future sailing in this cabin type so not really complaining.

With that being said, we did have a dvd player with a listing of the movies we could borrow.

We've never had our sheets changed daily in any cabin on any cruise. The schedule is to have them changed every 3-5 days, barring any obvious reason for changing them more often.

We had a special package of toiletries in a gold bag in our suite, but also get those in any cabin since we attained elite status. We also had a shoe shine kit as well as a sleep bag in our cabin.

We had a very good steward when we sailed in the WS earlier this year. We were again on a cruise on the Grand up to Alaska right before your sailing, but this time in a balcony on the Caribe deck. Funny thing is, we had the same exact steward on this cruise as on the last one. I would have thought that were a demotion but he stated it was per his request.

It does surprise me when they put the lesser qualified stewards in the suites but it does happen.

We rarely send out laundry even though it is a perk we get on all sailings now, regardless of our cabin type. I have heard that the same day 'complimentary' laundry perk has been eliminated ... but have no first hand knowledge of that.

Our favorite part of being is a suite, however, was the Crown Grill breakfasts and the Club Class dining. As mentioned, we were just on a sailing on the Grand earlier this month and we had a terrible time trying to get a table in the anytime dining room at a decent hour. So, Club Class became a very important feature for us, although oftentimes, it really isn't in our budget. I also really liked the special dish they offered in Club Class. And, since we are wine drinkers, we loved the Reidel (or maybe something similar) wine glasses they used in that area of the dining room. It's the little things sometimes ... but coupled with not having such inflexible dining times made that our absolute favorite feature in getting a suite. We never did order room service but having that option to order that, especially on the last morning of the cruise was also a nice feature.

An email to that address is useless. I know...never got anything.