Laundry Services

Epinz300

Good Morning CC!

I have a rather interesting question. Does anyone know what kind of washers cruiselines use onboard to wash all the linens, cruise uniforms, etc? Also if anyone knows if they use liquid detergent vs powder vs pods?

If anyone know that would be amazing trying to hopefully figure out their processes onboard as well as what they use.

They are very large industrial size machines similar to ones used by hospitals or the companies that handle hotel and restaurant linens. Pods? You've got to be kidding. You can Google cruise ship laundries for photos, etc.

Any and all cruise lines. I have just always been curious. obivously most have self service machines but wondering what they spend and stuff to clean uniforms and sheets daily. Pods maybe more for self service area but for the commercial loads they do just curious

I have participated in several ship tours and one of them on Princess showed us the laundry area with the washing machines and the automated linen folding machines. These are large front loading, industrial grade washing units, at least four times the size of a home unit. The soap appeared to be in concentrated power form, and was held in a large storage bay in the machine, needing to be filled only when it got close to empty. The soap dispensert fed the machine the appropriate amount each time the unit was started. Uniforms or guest clothing items were washed in smaller machines, or were processed through dry cleaning equipment much like you would see at your local dry cleaners.

I have participated in several ship tours and one of them on Princess showed us the laundry area with the washing machines and the automated linen folding machines. These are large front loading, industrial grade washing units, at least four times the size of a home unit. The soap appeared to be in concentrated power form, and was held in a large storage bay in the machine, needing to be filled only when it got close to empty. The soap dispensert fed the machine the appropriate amount each time the unit was started. Uniforms or guest clothing items were washed in smaller machines, or were processed through dry cleaning equipment much like you would see at your local dry cleaners.

So looked like it was powder not liquid? Thats interesting cause i wouldve thought liquid is easier?

I have participated in several ship tours and one of them on Princess showed us the laundry area with the washing machines and the automated linen folding machines. These are large front loading, industrial grade washing units, at least four times the size of a home unit.

I was on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Star Princess. The laundry machines for towels and linens (and washable elements of crew uniforms) have a 300 lb capacity. And the scales are accurate to within a couple ounces, so every load is done at truly full capacity. So fifteen to twenty times the size of a home unit is more in the ballpark.

Sorry I did not take note of the form of the detergent. But safe to assume the machines are designed to dissolve and evenly circulate what I am sure is a very highly concentrated substance.

So looked like it was powder not liquid? Thats interesting cause i wouldve thought liquid is easier?

There were containers clearly marked as soap in one area of the laundry area. Those containers were square and looked like cardboard boxes. I would have expected liquid soap to be in barrels or large bottles. I admit I can't say for certain it was powder, but that is what it appeared to be.

I was on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Star Princess. The laundry machines for towels and linens (and washable elements of crew uniforms) have a 300 lb capacity. And the scales are accurate to within a couple ounces, so every load is done at truly full capacity. So fifteen to twenty times the size of a home unit is more in the ballpark.

Sorry I did not take note of the form of the detergent. But safe to assume the machines are designed to dissolve and evenly circulate what I am sure is a very highly concentrated substance.

I didn't see the weight capacity of those machines, but you are probably correct. My home unit will handle 20 lbs, so if the ship's machines are indeed 300 lb capacity (and I have no reason to question that), they are, as you say, fifteen to twenty times larger than ours.

I did that tour on Grand Princess. It was amazing how those sheet and towel folding machines worked - drying, folding, and stacking, all in a matter of seconds. Quite the gadget! I wish they had home sized units. :D

Holland America Line Ms Oosterdam laundry facilities:

img_0689.jpg