Room Service Tip

Seabiscuit66

7 night cruise, $3 tip every morning, $21.

Ignore that poster. He has a hatred for the US and for tips and inflates and exaggerates the issue every time he posts. As if people are spending "hundreds of $ for hand out culture nickel and dimming" on a cruise as he claims! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have NEVER been on a cruise where the staff has their "hand out" for tips. His accusations are complete and total BS.

Another additional cost you do not have if you sail an all inclusive line, like Regent. You can have coffee delivered at no cost, no tip needed that's another $100+ not on your end bill. When you work it out Regent and all inclusive are not more expensive, especially as all tips are up front, it amazes me how much tipping adds to US costs if you add $2-3 just for a coffee, your into hundreds of $ for hand out culture nickel and dimming !!

There is no way I would order coffee to be delivered to me by Room Service and Not tip. I want to tip someone who provides me that service. I would skip ordering if i coul d not say hank you with a moderate tip. That is the way I want it to be

Anyone who does not like our culture should avoid submerging themselves and exposing themselves to it. Easy, don't put your self in a circumstance they do not like and they will not have to complain what is wrong with that culture in THEIR viewpoint.

Edited by sail7seas

OK - my view is that if someone is just delivering a pot of coffee to my cabin, there is no need to tip. Why should I? The cruise line is offering room service, and I cannot see why I should tip more than the value of the coffee.

However, if room service includes setting up a table, serving the food, pouring the wine etc, then I will certainly tip

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

OK - my view is that if someone is just delivering a pot of coffee to my cabin, there is no need to tip. Why should I? The cruise line is offering room service, and I cannot see why I should tip more than the value of the coffee.

However, if room service includes setting up a table, serving the food, pouring the wine etc, then I will certainly tip

Do you also not tip room service in a hotel? The coffee didn't get to your room on it's own. Effort was made by someone to get it to you so you don't have to go to the bother of getting it yourself.

Considering how much money we have to be able to afford a cruise, scrimping on giving a couple of dollars to someone who can use it more than us is being inconsiderate towards a person who makes our cruise more comfortable.

That same argument can be applied to any service provider in any context: a waitress in a diner just delivers the food - why should you tip more than the value of the ham and eggs?

I hope you are from some non-tipping culture: if you are from the US —- yuck!

That same argument can be applied to any service provider in any context: a waitress in a diner just delivers the food - why should you tip more than the value of the ham and eggs?

I hope you are from some non-tipping culture: if you are from the US —- yuck!

OK - so I should just tip the same amount (say $5) regardless of the value of the meal, as the service provided remains the same? I'll do that next time I visit the US and ignore the requested 20% gratuity and see what response I get!

I do not think the stewards assigned to Room Service ss all are voluteers.

Agreed.

I don't see how a cruise line could offer a service by depending on volunteers. It's not just breakfast or early coffee, its possibly 24/7. There has to be at least a minimum number of staff allocated to room service function.

At hotels I’ll tip housekeeping for extra towels or pillows.

I don't really have too much of a problem with tipping if that is the culture, but, tipping for towels or pillows just seems ridiculous. I have never seen a hotel advertise that the room rate includes only limited quantities of towels or pillows. Why pay (and a tip is a payment) for something that should have been supplied in the first place?

I don't really have too much of a problem with tipping if that is the culture, but, tipping for towels or pillows just seems ridiculous. I have never seen a hotel advertise that the room rate includes only limited quantities of towels or pillows. Why pay (and a tip is a payment) for something that should have been supplied in the first place?

I’m talking about extra, calling housekeeping and having someone run them up to me. I sleep with 3 pillows.

OK - so I should just tip the same amount (say $5) regardless of the value of the meal, as the service provided remains the same? I'll do that next time I visit the US and ignore the requested 20% gratuity and see what response I get!

Are you trying to not understand the concept of tipping?

Are you trying to not understand the concept of tipping?

Some people prefer to be ignorant than educated. Makes it easier to rationalize their self serving attitudes.

Now we know he isn't from the US. He's a Brit. So no surprise about the attitude.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse just to be argumentative. Since it's obvious that you are philosophically opposed to the North American style of tipping (I would never suggest that it's because you're just a tightwad who needs a pry bar to free a coin from your pocket), the answer to your problem is simple. Sail on cruiseline's that aren't operated on the American system. Don't visit the US. There are several other lines and countless other countries where you (and everyone else) will be happier.

Some people prefer to be ignorant than educated. Makes it easier to rationalize their self serving attitudes.

Now we know he isn't from the US. He's a Brit. So no surprise about the attitude.

I tip virtually everywhere that a tip is expected, and tip at the rate expected in that environment. So, in Australia or Japan, I don't tip, in Spain or Portugal I will tip a few euros and in the US I will tip around 15%.

My point was made in reference to a post regarding ham and eggs, and the relative value of the tip to the cost of the food.

No you don't. You even state so posts #3 and 28.
I said I wouldn't tip as the room service staff were part of the tip pool. As of yet, as far as I can see, no one has specifically been able to confirm one way or the other if this is the case or not. Certainly, I have seen room service waiters working in the ship restaurants, which would imply that they are part of the pool.

When we had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess, both our waiters received handsome tips because they went above and beyond what we expected.

I said I wouldn't tip as the room service staff were part of the tip pool. As of yet, as far as I can see, no one has specifically been able to confirm one way or the other if this is the case or not. Certainly, I have seen room service waiters working in the ship restaurants, which would imply that they are part of the pool.

When we had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess, both our waiters received handsome tips because they went above and beyond what we expected.

So, you continue to argue uncertainty as to who is or is not in the tip pool, all in your quest to justify not having to spend a couple of extra dollars during your $1,000+ cruise holiday? Just swallow your pride and give them a tip. Will that force you into bankruptcy if you show a little bit of generosity, even if it isn't absolutely required?

Our last cruise with Princess, we paid around $500 auto tips. We also tipped our cabin steward, certain waiters and bar staff, so I really don't lie awake at night worrying that I did not give someone $2 for bringing a hot drink to our cabin.