Most convenient US port to sail out of

Funbobby68

Hi again all , planning a couple more cruises , and looking to change it up a bit from the usual . We are just happy cruising so honestly ports are secondary to just being sailing anywhere .

So with that said , what are the easiest port to sail out of and why .

People complained a lot about Galveston, but other than the hour drive from Houston,never really had a problem, not like the old Vancouver port .....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once you take driving out of the equation............

I agree that Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale is the easiest.

Reasons:

Proximity of the airport to the cruiseport

Cruise-friendliness of hotels with shuttles and pricing and such

Nice place for a day pre- or post- cruise

Southwest flies there

It depends. I thought Galveston was convenient because we can drive there from home. Any other port, we have to fly to. My parents are in NY and they like sailing from the NY and NJ ports since it’s a quick drive.

Our favorite is Port Canaveral. Aside from the longer drive from the airport than Port Everglades, it's much less crowded, much less traffic, hotels are more reasonably priced, nice restaurants nearby, cocktails at John's, more options for flights for us.

Fort Lauderdale.

You must see "ship parade" at least once. When 7-10 ships are leaving port during 1-2 hours. Amazing.

We sail from FLL tomorrow. Is there a way to find out which ships are leaving?

I am going to be the weirdo and say Long Beach. Loved LB airport...small and quaint, and a 20 minute ride to the Queen Mary (where we stayed for 2 days and which we loved) Hop on Hop off shuttle takes you everywhere in town, no charge...restaurants, shops, etc. Cruise port is right next door to the Queen Mary. I think the only downside, was, if it is raining as the cruise port waiting area is outside.

Once you take driving out of the equation............

I agree that Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale is the easiest.

Reasons:

Proximity of the airport to the cruiseport

Cruise-friendliness of hotels with shuttles and pricing and such

Nice place for a day pre- or post- cruise

Southwest flies there

Agree! We Also fly Southwest and they just started nonstop service to Fort Lauderdale from my home there!

Really all of the Florida ports have their pros and cons.

Miami has the most beautiful sail away and with the tunnel to the port, you no longer have to weave through downtown. This is by far is biggest city, though, and hotels are expensive.

Port Everglades is closest to an airport, but the airport is not great. Best and probably cheapest offsite parking but sail away is a lackluster setting.

Port Canaveral has a nice sail away due to the people out waving goodbye. Also your best shot at seeing dolphins and turtles. But it is an hour away from the airport.

Tampa has a great airport and pretty sail away, especially going under the Skyway bridge. Valet parking is nice. But the hotels can be pricey and due to the bridge, the large ships cannot sail from Tampa.

Haven’t cruised out of Jacksonville so can’t comment on that port.

OP, let us know what you decide.

Southampton is fabulous. We have been off the ship and in our car within 8 minutes of leaving the ship...

Great to hear, but Southampton is not a US port which is what OP was asking about. I vote for Port Everglades in terms of convenience. Can't get any easier.

I am going to be the weirdo and say Long Beach. Loved LB airport...small and quaint, and a 20 minute ride to the Queen Mary (where we stayed for 2 days and which we loved) Hop on Hop off shuttle takes you everywhere in town, no charge...restaurants, shops, etc. Cruise port is right next door to the Queen Mary. I think the only downside, was, if it is raining as the cruise port waiting area is outside.

Royal Caribbean does not sail from Long Beach. The few sailings that originate in that area use San Pedro. No airport there. You can fly into Long Beach or use LAX.

Royal Caribbean does not sail from Long Beach. The few sailings that originate in that area use San Pedro. No airport there. You can fly into Long Beach or use LAX.

Haahahahah...crap. Wasn't even thinking of the cruise line. Was thinking of the port. Thank you for pointing that out. :')

We sail from FLL tomorrow. Is there a way to find out which ships are leaving?
We use cruisett.com but it isn't very accurate lately.

It's always better to look for local port sites.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi again all , planning a couple more cruises , and looking to change it up a bit from the usual . We are just happy cruising so honestly ports are secondary to just being sailing anywhere .

So with that said , what are the easiest port to sail out of and why .

People complained a lot about Galveston, but other than the hour drive from Houston,never really had a problem, not like the old Vancouver port .....

Bayonne is the closest to me but my preference is Baltimore.