danube river cruise

zdel807

My wife and I are planning a 2019 river cruise to celebrate our 35th anniversary but we have never cruised except when someone else planned it; and we have never done a river cruise! There is just SO much information to sift through that it is a bit overwhelming.

We are thinking 7-10 days and the only "must have" is time in Prague. Do you recommend doing the extended stay before or after the cruise? Are we better off making our own arrangements or going with the cruie line suggested hotels? Same quetion about the flights - make our own or just let the cruise line arrange it? Would you suggest a north or south Danube ride? We are totally flexible with our time-line so what would be the "best" time to travel? Any recommendations on cruise line?

My wife and I are planning a 2019 river cruise to celebrate our 35th anniversary but we have never cruised except when someone else planned it; and we have never done a river cruise! There is just SO much information to sift through that it is a bit overwhelming.

We are thinking 7-10 days and the only "must have" is time in Prague. Do you recommend doing the extended stay before or after the cruise? Are we better off making our own arrangements or going with the cruie line suggested hotels? Same quetion about the flights - make our own or just let the cruise line arrange it? Would you suggest a north or south Danube ride? We are totally flexible with our time-line so what would be the "best" time to travel? Any recommendations on cruise line?

I'd suggest heading over to the River Cruising forum to find all kinds of great information for planning.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=191

Thanks! I'm sure there is lots of info out there; knowing how to find it is the trick. I took a quick look at the link you sent and I am going back there now to read . . . .and read . . . .and read . . .

I do both ocean and river cruises, and you got good advice to head over to the River Cruising forum. I hang out there a lot. Very helpful folks.

Roz

Danube cruises do not go to Prague. Many people go to Prague pre or post cruise from Budapest. It's a one hour flight from Budapest to Prague on Czech Air. Then you can stay in Prague for a few days.

Most river cruise lines have pre or post cruise extensions. But you can do it independently also. If you do it post cruise you would fly directly to Budapest. The cruise would end around Passau. Then you would transfer to Prague. It’s around 3 hour ride. The reverse is an option too. Fly into Prague and then transfer to Passau.

One piece of advice I would offer is to not limit your search to Viking. Contrary to what the general public believes, there are other cruise lines offering river cruises besides Viking. I've sailed with Uniworld, and like their all inclusive approach, including tips, alcohol, tours, transfers, etc.

Roz

Danube cruises do not go to Prague. Many people go to Prague pre or post cruise from Budapest. It's a one hour flight from Budapest to Prague on Czech Air. Then you can stay in Prague for a few days.

I would venture a guess the OP knew this.

Roz

We loved our stay in Prague. However, the pre/post Prague add-on for 3 days in conjunction with a river cruise a couple of years ago was only about $100 less than a week's stay, hotel/transfers/air. That deal we found on "Travel Zoo". It was with air out of JFK, but with our proximity to JFK, it made that trip quiet appealing. On another note, we find most pre/post river cruise add-ons pricey. What they charge pp is what the cost should be for a couple.