Boarding

FlFunGirl

Thank you all for your help. Not trying to be a snob. We are new to this experience and have heard from some that boarding can be a long process. I guess that pertains more to the larger ships.

Beth

Thank you all for your help. Not trying to be a snob. We are new to this experience and have heard from some that boarding can be a long process. I guess that pertains more to the larger ships.

Beth

Your not a snob.....When we boarded in Lisbon last year they had boarded for all...the way Regent did it was good, and took maybe 15 minutes at most. They bring in people taking their transportation spaced out during the day making for an easy boarding. I think having an extra line for suites is a good idea since (my believed) those people come to the ship on their own away thought the boarding. It's really no big deal. Have a great trip and enjoy your cruise.

We are also new to Regent. We will be boarding in Honolulu in Nov. We will not be using Regent transportation to the port as we are going to be staying elsewhere. Since we'll be arriving on our own, what would be a reasonable time to arrive to the port?

On our previous Regent cruises we were told we could board at 1200. Access to cabins, suites whatever would be at 1430. We got there around 1130 and queued to get to the registration, then on board and then after lunch an announcement told us we could access our suite. Since then there has been a change. Those in Regent, Master, Grand and Explorer suites have a separate line for check in and can go right to their suites. For others there are other lines and from what I have heard the whole process is a lot easier and faster for everyone. The other categories of suites do still have to wait to access them but of course are welcomed with champagne and can have lunch... much more like an airline and everyone gets on board faster...

FIFunGril, not a problem---your going to have a great cruise. Have to say that was our first cruise on Regent and really had nothing bad to say---it wasn't are best cruise but really high up on the list. We board Regent again this April and really looking forward to the cruise.

I have to agree with Hambagahle on this--it's about time Regent made this work in a nice easy way. Yes, "Fortunately" is the word. It's not in your face as some say.

It may not have been in your face when you boarded but definitely was we did. This is NOT an exaggeration!!!!! And, while you do to have to be a snob to think this is a good idea, it is definitely a class oriented way of boarding.

IMO, which I have expressed before, passengers taking their first (and maybe only cruise) in an upper suite should not be considered more valuable to Regent than their loyal customers that may book a lower suite but sail 50-60 days a year - very year (I know many, many people in this category).

Travelcat2,

I don't think of this as a "class" distinction but as perks associated with spending a little more to get a little more. For instance, my husband and I fly first class because we like the perks included with that (bigger seats, more leg room). Don't frequent cruisers who achieve certain status get private receptions?

I certainly do not think I am better than anyone else. I'm sorry if you are offended.

Beth

Travelcat2,

I don't think of this as a "class" distinction but as perks associated with spending a little more to get a little more. For instance, my husband and I fly first class because we like the perks included with that (bigger seats, more leg room). Don't frequent cruisers who achieve certain status get private receptions?

I certainly do not think I am better than anyone else. I'm sorry if you are offended.

Beth

Beth - I am not offended. In fact, we book upper suites on almost all cruises and are also Titanium Seven Seas Society members. IMO, people that book upper suites have plenty of benefits. Regent (and other luxury cruise lines) give "invisible" benefits all of the time. However, they do not give priority pre-boarding - it gives the wrong message to other passengers because Regent is an all First Class

Loyalty benefits are, again IMO, completely different. We are being rewarded for the nights that we have sailed on Regent. Still, the benefits that we get are not visible to others. Due to the few people that on Regent ships, there is really no reason for priority boarding.

I'm going to pay particular attention to how they do boarding on the 24th when we board the Voyager. This time, if it is as bad as Miami, I will take photos for those that seem to not believe how bad it was.

Jackie

Travelcat2,

Beth

I’m with you on this. If you pay premium on the upper suites you should be allowed to board first just like on international flights that are high end and flying first class. It won’t take long for them to board but they are paying a premium for this amenity. I see this as a no big deal. JMHO.

When you are on a ship with 2500 + then I have found that a suite is usually great (been on a few that didn't work out that way)as the lineups can be quite long

But a ship with 600 passengers even though I have never been on Regent(first one in Nov.)

How bad can it be?

Really, I think it's time to get over this---if this is really a problem it's time to move on. Why would someone let this spoil their cruise. Take all the photos you want but please don't post them.

I will definitely post them if they represent what we have seen previously. This is a contentious subject and one that I hope remains in the spotlight unless/until some levels of the Seven Seas Society members are recognized or the policy is killed!

MalbecWine - Regent is not an airline. It is all first class luxury cruise ship! Additionally, someone staying in an upper suite a couple of times on Regent has not paid as much as passengers with 200+ nights will many nights booked in the future.

We were having this discussion with a couple at breakfast (doing a pre-cruise in Bali) and, although they haven't posted about this on CC, They are also long time loyal Regent customers that do not agree with priority boarding.

As I've said, I understand that people with low or no status with the Seven Seas Society love this new policy. And, interestingly, the bottom line is that I would like to see this policy done away with - not modified to include high levels of the Seven Seas Society. After all, it would still be a class system. But, if the best Regent can do is to modify it, it is better than leaving it the way that it is.

Edited by Travelcat2

On our previous Regent cruises we were told we could board at 1200. Access to cabins, suites whatever would be at 1430. We got there around 1130 and queued to get to the registration, then on board and then after lunch an announcement told us we could access our suite. Since then there has been a change. Those in Regent, Master, Grand and Explorer suites have a separate line for check in and can go right to their suites. For others there are other lines and from what I have heard the whole process is a lot easier and faster for everyone. The other categories of suites do still have to wait to access them but of course are welcomed with champagne and can have lunch... much more like an airline and everyone gets on board faster...

Thank you for the info. We will likely head to the ship around 11 as we need to vacate our hotel by then. Getting on board and having lunch sounds like a good plan. :cool:

That's your right, however I have better things to do with my life. I do think Regent thought this out for whats best for their customers and Regent sales. Enjoy!

I agree Ronrick. We have Gold status yet would not be bothered at all if we were sailing in an ordinary cabin and people new to Regent boarded ahead of is because they were in a Grand suite! That is the way of the world.

Jackie - let this go. Too many people are happy with the policy! And very few against it. You have far more important things to say and do. Put your energy towards those! For starters - have a wonderful time in Bali!

Gerry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, when is the best time to take photos of this offensive, in your face, suites boarding line? Is it from the same offensive, in your face, suites boarding line as you board first or when you are waiting in line with the other “first class” passengers?

So, when is the best time to take photos of this offensive, in your face, suites boarding line? Is it from the same offensive, in your face, suites boarding line as you board first or when you are waiting in line with the other “first class” passengers?

I would guess you need to be there early. Before the hoards of eletis arrive. You know, to get the best in your face money shots. Maybe pass yourself off as one of those paparazzi.

Also, if indeed you are in this offensive line. Just blend in and discretely use that little smart phone.

:D:D

Papaflamingo, sounds like a good plan. I think we will do the same as we have 1-1 1/2 hr. commute to the port. Thank you all for the positive comments and info. Glass half full here (hopefully with Champagne).

Beth

I agree Ronrick. We have Gold status yet would not be bothered at all if we were sailing in an ordinary cabin and people new to Regent boarded ahead of is because they were in a Grand suite! That is the way of the world.

Jackie - let this go. Too many people are happy with the policy! And very few against it. You have far more important things to say and do. Put your energy towards those! For starters - have a wonderful time in Bali!

Gerry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gerry - yes - a handful of people on CC like the policy (and how many of those have even witnessed this 4 month old policy)? Everyone that we spoke with with on our 25 night cruise 3 months ago) and people we speak with privately do not. We all need to remember that there are 700 passengers on a Regent cruise and ask yourselves how many have posted about this subject on either this thread or the last one? CC is not the "pulse" of Regent not does it represent most of the passengers (on any subject - not only this topic).

So Gerry, I cannot let this go. As you may recall, Regent implemented this policy for one month when the "concierge program" was rolled out. Regent passengers spoke up and the policy disappeared. I'm not saying that this will happen again but I have enough faith in Regent that they will include their most loyal customers in this policy. A price tag cannot be put on loyalty but it is valuable.