Great Lakes Cruises

Wife and I are interested in something closer to home, perhaps a Great Lakes or Muskoka Lakes cruise in the summer. However after having a brief look at some of the links in other discussions, perhaps I am missing something. I found a cruise that sounds nice, but is over US $4900 for the cheapest cabin on a 7 day Toronto to Chicago?

I know there are economies of scale involved when comparing to a mainline cruise ship, but that seems excessive. Or are there cheaper cruises? I mean really we'd be happy with meals, a sun deck and a cruise ship sized room.

Wife and I are interested in something closer to home, perhaps a Great Lakes or Muskoka Lakes cruise in the summer. However after having a brief look at some of the links in other discussions, perhaps I am missing something. I found a cruise that sounds nice, but is over US $4900 for the cheapest cabin on a 7 day Toronto to Chicago?

I know there are economies of scale involved when comparing to a mainline cruise ship, but that seems excessive. Or are there cheaper cruises? I mean really we'd be happy with meals, a sun deck and a cruise ship sized room.

No the cost isn't excessive. The company has to pay US rates and confirm to US laws . Compare the price to the Pride of America in Hawaii . They are under the same rules.

• 5 weeks later...

the cabins are not regular cruise ship sizes either

Maybe look at American Queen steamboat cruises the cabins are a bit larger than the boats that sail the Great lakes