I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

While I consider myself well read and versed in a number of what some might consider deep subjects every now and then I read something light and just for fun. I just finished all three books written by the gang from Duck Dynasty. Yep the Rednecks from West Munroe Louisania. None are much more than 200 pages but I found them a great read.

Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil the father was the best. A great read about the transformation of the human sole with a fair bit of humour on the side. Although you wouldn't know it to look at him you won't get far into the book before you realize it was written by a man with a Masters degree and a whole lot of personal faith and conviction.

Si-Cology by Si, Phils brother was easily the funniest book I have read in years.

The Duck Commander Family by Willie and his wife Kori was probably the most informative of the bunch and also sprinkled with a good dose of humour.

You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy any of these reads. It helps in places to understand their mindset like giving up a pro football career because it interfered with duck hunting season but certainly not a necessity.

Really interesting Thanks for sharing. I have been watching Willie and Kori's daughter dance on Dancing With The Stars and of course the whole Duck Dynasty clan is in the audience each week. I had no idea they have three books out. I am going to order them tonight. Kent N Sandy

• 2 weeks later...
Molly tell me a little about THE ISLAND by Victoria Hislop. The book I just finished and enjoyed was INTO THE WILD by Jon Krakauer. It holds your interest till your through. I am looking for some new reading material for our Viking River Cruise in December. I find those long, long plane rides much more enjoyable is I have my nose in a good book. Hope your having a good weekend. Kent N Sandy

Hi and sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I've just returned from a holiday in Ireland.

Susan makes a good point about checking out other sources for book reviews nevertheless I will press on with my comments in the hope that they help you to decide for yourself.

The book is about a former leper colony.........no don't stop reading, it is nowhere near as dire as it sounds. The island is Spinalonga in Greece and the story weaves around how life on the Island is organised and how three generations of a family have been affected by the prejudice of this. It is really a family saga that carries you along and it has some beautifully descriptive pieces in it. It did make me cry but was also strangely uplifting. I thought it was a great read and from memory it won some prestigious awards so others must agree somewhere along the line. If you decide to go ahead and read it, please let me know what you think even if your views differ from my own, I can take rejection albeit reluctantly :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the pointer to "Into the Wild" will add this to my list. Have a good day and happy reading.

Hi and sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I've just returned from a holiday in Ireland.

Susan makes a good point about checking out other sources for book reviews nevertheless I will press on with my comments in the hope that they help you to decide for yourself.

The book is about a former leper colony.........no don't stop reading, it is nowhere near as dire as it sounds. The island is Spinalonga in Greece and the story weaves around how life on the Island is organised and how three generations of a family have been affected by the prejudice of this. It is really a family saga that carries you along and it has some beautifully descriptive pieces in it. It did make me cry but was also strangely uplifting. I thought it was a great read and from memory it won some prestigious awards so others must agree somewhere along the line. If you decide to go ahead and read it, please let me know what you think even if your views differ from my own, I can take rejection albeit reluctantly :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the pointer to "Into the Wild" will add this to my list. Have a good day and happy reading.

Thanks so much. I will try to locate the book. It does sound like something I'd enjoy. I just hate to get a book and then skip pages cause you can pretty much guess where its going. But this one sounds like it will work for a 20 hour plan ride each way. Hope your Ireland trip was a great time. Thanks again. kent N Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered Lesley Kagan books. I downloaded the audio of "Whistling in the Dark." Her books have a rather slow start as she establishes the characters for the first 1/4th of the novel. And, then hang on! http://www.amazon.com/Whistling-In-Dark-Lesley-Kagen/dp/0451221230

I believe all of her reviews are well-deserved 4 to 4 - 1/2 stars.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read "The Collectors" by Nora Roberts and "Cinderella Murder" by Mary Higgins Clark and a co-author. Both are good. While both are "murder mystery" type books I would say they are still a little more "chick flick" type books than my DH would enjoy. So they give a little mystery without being "too heavy". I would recommend both as easy, cruise reads.

Getting into the spirit by re-reading A Christmas Carol, this copy includes four other Christmas books by Dickens which are The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life and The Haunted Man. Not read the last four and probably being too optimistic in trying to get them all in before the New Year.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some good historical mystery books. I love mysteries and anything that is history based.

Sorry if some have been listed.

1. The Cemetery of Forgotten Books Series by Zafon. Can't remember his first name off the top of my head.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

3. What Angels Fear by CS Harris. These are series also.

4. Child 44 by Tom Smith.

I will think of others later to add. I love threads like this that you can see lots of books, especially dated ones or ones that I would have never thought.

I also agree with going to the ship library the first day of the cruise. Always great selections as well.

Happy Cruisen,

Rachel

Just kidding but I do love to read and do so constantly.

I just discovered Robert Galbraith and the two books are wonderful. Also Jonathan Kellerman is a great read for fun.

Thanks for everyone's postings...I've been "lurking" here for some time!

As an FYI, here's a great app for your mobile devices to listen to books, especially great when your eyes are tired or driving/flying.

It's called OverDrive...free and you can borrow books from your local library. I use it to read and listen to books every day.

http://app.overdrive.com/

Take care y'all

Donna

Edited by Realblonde474

When nothing new strikes my eye I do a google search for 100 American Classics, 100 British Classics or something similar and pick from those lists. Also many of these titles are free on kindle devices, which for me is a bonus.

I have always enjoyed the dystopian teen novels and can read some of them in under 3 hours, so there is a bit of instant gratification in getting through the whole story in one setting.

There is a series of books called Saving Angels series by Annie Rose Welch. The first book in the series is called Marigny Street and is only 99 cents on Amazon . I started these books and could not put them down!!! I highly recommend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 years later...
A book I've recomended to many is Outlander by Diana Gabladon. It's in the romance section but not the typical trashy romance novel. More of a historical love story. There are 5 in the seris but the first is by far the best!

Have a great cruise!

Marion:)

Great series. I highly recommend them.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, CruisinGirl777 said:

Wow! I was going to post and bump this up for more ideas for my upcoming cruise. Then I see that I was the last poster from 3 years ago. In 2018! 

I have not read the book, but I do know the author and her husband:  Wandering the World with George by Dorothy Hennings.  The Hennings were world travelers and sailed on many, many cruises.  I have sailed with them and and they are very pleasant and intelligent people.  The book is available through Amazon, but, I have not yet been able to order it for some reason.  

On 1/5/2022 at 3:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have not read the book, but I do know the author and her husband:  Wandering the World with George by Dorothy Hennings.  The Hennings were world travelers and sailed on many, many cruises.  I have sailed with them and and they are very pleasant and intelligent people.  The book is available through Amazon, but, I have not yet been able to order it for some reason.  

I will keep this in mind. I don’t see it available on Amazon.ca but will keep it on my list. Thanks 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CruisinGirl777 said:

I will keep this in mind. I don’t see it available on Amazon.ca but will keep it on my list. Thanks 

That has been my difficulty as well.  My first attempt to order the book on Amazon, it could not be found.  A few days later, I tried again, found the book, but, then could not find a way to order it.  I will try again in a couple of days.  If I am still having problems, I will e-mail Dorothy and see what she recommends.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, CruisinGirl777 said:

Sunday night, I tried ordering the book again and was able to do so.  Should be delivered in the later half of this week according to the e-mail confirmation of my order that I received.