Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

I've heard first timers ask when the Midnight Buffet is!

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

I've known of "midnight events" to actually start earlier or it to be the case that if you arrive at such an event at midnight that there would be a long line to get in, so that may not be as dumb a question as it sounds.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
This was a real problem for my GF, who wears dresses with no pockets. Her solution? Asking me to carry it. :D The things we do for love.... :cool:

Funny.

I would never ask my DH to carry my card. Too many occasions in which he has wandered off, or locked me out, and left me keyless! :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I intend to be the bag carrying, lanyard wearing, navigationally challenged, gaining lbs by the minute, newbie virgin next year, complete with my overpriced sail away cocktail and lots of ooooohhhs and haaaaas..just so I can give the old salts something to gossip about. After all, far worse than been talked about, is not been noticed at all. :'):'):hearteyes::hearteyes::*:cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I intend to be the bag carrying, lanyard wearing, navigationally challenged, gaining lbs by the minute, newbie virgin next year, complete with my overpriced sail away cocktail and lots of ooooohhhs and haaaaas..just so I can give the old salts something to gossip about. After all, far worse than been talked about, is not been noticed at all. :'):'):hearteyes::hearteyes::*:cool:

And you will have just as good of a time as anybody else on a cruise!

• 1 month later...
I plan on making a door decoration warning my fellow passengers that we are cruise novices (thought virgin might be a problem for some travelers) and might be caught ...

Taking too many pictures

Hoarding towel animals

having too much luggage etc.

Please help me add to the list things that scream first cruise! Please keep it clean.

I always overpack. It's a girl thing.

I took the most photos on my 5th cruise & hoarded my towel animals on my 4th cruise (yes, I took a picture of all of them)! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on 12 cruises and I swear that the instructions are to put your life jacket on, and then proceed quickly and safely to your muster station...not drag the jacket along behind you so the pax behind you trip on the straps...

Last two cruises I went on, they just had us go to the drill without the jackets. NCL & RCCL

Women who carry their big purses around all day. You're at sea. You don't need anything in that bag.

I second the cruise card on a lanyard around the neck thing too. To me that's a sure sign someone is new to cruising.

I'm a purse nut and I don't even do this!

Lanyards...I do one at the suggestion of the main desk..my iPad magnetic cover decodes my cabin card and I even had trouble sticking it in my bra.

Not a newbie, but necessity dictates solutions. I sure got tired of going back for new cabin cards.

I carry my bag around with me. Since the pockets on ladies' jeans are woefully inadequate if not pure decoration, I usually need my bag to carry my wallet (with sign + sail card) and my phone. It's never gotten in the way so far—except on one occasion where a bunch of confetti from the rock n' roll show fell into it and I was finding little plastic shiny bits in my bag for a solid month after the cruise.

I do not know how to spot this.

Then don't worry about it: concentrate on enjoying your own cruise instead of seeking out "virgins" to feel superior to. Let them make their own way, their own fun, and their own mistakes--it makes for a more interesting and memorable cruise.

Then don't worry about it: concentrate on enjoying your own cruise instead of seeking out "virgins" to feel superior to. Let them make their own way, their own fun, and their own mistakes--it makes for a more interesting and memorable cruise.

Isn't that the truth! Some people seem to think that their way is the only way. I like to hear what others do, think or have tried so I can learn from their experiences. That doesn't mean I'll necessarily agree or that I'll feel the same way, but I may learn something I didn't know or hadn't thought of from them that may or may not affect my decision.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

"Feel superior to"? Really? After 27 cruises, I love to find newbie cruisers....their excitement is contagious!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good answers above. My additions:

- Wear new shoes, resulting in blisters ... or don't bring water shoes for Labadee.

- Pack clothes without pockets.

- Think it's necessary to pack multiple outfits for each day.

- Are afraid to move towels that are "saving" seats by the pool.

- Leave their towels laying about and are charged $25 (okay, that rule has come and gone a couple times).

- Discover cool stuff like the helicopter pad on the next-to-last day.

- Eat the appetizers, salad, bread, entree ... and don't have room for dessert.

- Can't find the movie theater.

- Think there's something worth buying in the shops onboard.

- Are worried about their kids falling overboard.

- Are reprimanded by staff in the Windjammer when they walk past the hand sanitizer without taking a squirt.

- Wait for the elevator to catch a ride down two flights.

- Show up for a 7:00 parade in the Promenade at 7:00 and are surprised that they can't get a good spot.

- Don't realize just how much information is available on their stateroom TV and in their daily newsletter.

But I'm with those who "don't quite get" Old Salts who aren't excited or don't like everything on board. If I weren't excited about my vacation or didn't like things onboard, I'd make a different choice!

Trying to pay for things with cash.

Worse than that - after an 18 days cruise over Xmas and New Year (2015/16), we stopped at the first supermarket to stock up with snack supplies for a 500 miles drive home. At the till, I handed over my cruise card ... :) Very puzzled supermarket cashier!

It took me about 2 days to remember that I was back in the real world and I had to think for myself again - carry a wallet, buy food etc.

We're off on a 46 nights cruise next week - I expect to be completely institutionalised by the time of disembarkation :D

Worse than that - after an 18 days cruise over Xmas and New Year (2015/16), we stopped at the first supermarket to stock up with snack supplies for a 500 miles drive home. At the till, I handed over my cruise card ... :) Very puzzled supermarket cashier!

It took me about 2 days to remember that I was back in the real world and I had to think for myself again - carry a wallet, buy food etc.

We're off on a 46 nights cruise next week - I expect to be completely institutionalised by the time of disembarkation :D

That’s a long cruise. Where does it go to? Might have to look into one of those when we retire in 30 years. Lol