Navy and Cruising

packedandready

Just curious....When talking about cruising I've encountered a number of folks who told me that they were ex-navy and would never cruise...that they had all the water they wanted. So, how many navy cruisers are out there?

Was it something you did from the start or did it take you a while to try it?

AND...Thank you to all our military, past and present, who have served and are serving.

Just curious....When talking about cruising I've encountered a number of folks who told me that they were ex-navy and would never cruise...that they had all the water they wanted. So, how many navy cruisers are out there?

AND...Thank you to all our military, past and present, who have served and are serving.

I only waited because I thought it was expensive and because I thought my wife wouldn't like because of her fear of water. She thought I wouldn't be interested because I'd spent so much time at sea in the Navy. Turns out we were both wrong:eek:. I love being at sea and love it even more now that it's no longer my job (and I did love being at sea when in the Navy, just hated being away from my family).

DH spent a couple of decades going to sea with our Navy and was averse to cruising. Not unreasonably, IMO, he said that after spending months at sea, he didn't want to spend his vacations in the same environment. He was also a naval aviator, but never objected to flying to vacation destinations, though :rolleyes:, but I digress.

After practically begging him to try a cruise, he finally relented as his gift to me for our 25th anniversary. We took an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the QM2, and he was SOLD. He absolutely enjoyed the whole experience, and we've cruised fairly regularly (though not exclusively) ever since.

Equally interesting would be the answers from merchant mariners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last sea duty was on a DE which might just have fit inside the interior promenade of the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - the largest cruise ship I ever have (or ever likely will) experienced.

I could not help noticing a few differences: food, accommodations, entertainment, liberty ports (I prefer Philipsburg to Gitmo, for example), etc. I took to cruising fairly readily - there is little to match a day with "shipping over weather" at sea - especially with no watches to stand.

After practically begging him to try a cruise, he finally relented as his gift to me for our 25th anniversary. We took an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the QM2, and he was SOLD. He absolutely enjoyed the whole experience, and we've cruised fairly regularly (though not exclusively) ever since.

DITTO for my father, navy, would never step on a ship ever again. Finally relented and went on a cruise and loved it, then at least once a year until sailing with the great ship in the sky.

DH is a Navy vet and loves cruising. He, too, likes being at sea. He has fond memories of being in the Navy and sailing on the Midway, an aircraft carrier.

I did not serve (enlisted but did pass the physical) but my brother did serve in the Navy for 20 years and he has been on several cruises.

He was on the Midway during the late 80's. When was your DH on the Midway? Perhaps they know each other!

Edited by rmf11699
typo

I did not serve (enlisted but did pass the physical) but my brother did serve in the Navy for 20 years and he has been on several cruises.

He was on the Midway during the late 80's. When was your DH on the Midway? Perhaps they know each other!

I had someone say that to me once "my nephew was on the Eisenhower, maybe you knew him?" and I mentioned that the odds were long but when she told me his name danged if we didn't work in the same division! I unthinkingly said "he was kind of weird" but she said the family felt the same way, so I was off the hook for that faux pas.

I'm former Army. I refuse to go camping anymore. I had enough sleeping outdoors in the rain, shivering my arse off, eating cold food.

The closest I'll come to camping now is a hotel that doesn't have room service.

Well - of course! There were differences you should have considered: most berthing compartments had overheads, so no rain; you were always within a couple hundred feet of your bunk and shower; and the commissarymen did a decent job.

My Dad was 37 years Navy, an aviator, but still on ships. At least 4 WestPac cruises (9 months long) and one Med (6 months).

He enjoyed the one cruise he did.

Last cruise, met a former Navy that was trying cruising. He liked it, better food, no watch standing, alcohol, and women. :D

I'd come home from a patrol, get on a cruise the next day to relax

now why would a Navy sailor not want to cruise????

- in the NAVY they discovered 'sea sickness' ... and don't want a rerun

- Have NAVY memories of swabbing the decks and cleaning the heads ......

- NAVY memories of being shot at .......

I love my 'sea time' and pick cruises that have more sea days .....

of course the picture is different from the Captain's chair .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

I swore that I would never go back to the Med again.

Had two six month deployments there when I was in the Navy.

Guess what -- Back to the Med several times on Cruises.

An old ship mate of mine laughed when I told him that

I sailed into Naples on a Cruise Ship.

My Avatar is the U.S.S. Randolph (CVA-15).

BTW - My Screen Name is a Navy/Marine term.

It's a little funny. My Grandfather was an Army Officer. My Father was an Army Officer. I was an Army Officer. My Brother was a Marine Officer. My Son went into the Navy and my Daughter went into the Navy - go figure. Both had extended cruises and I swore that I would NEVER get on a ship - we visited our Son in San Diego and went out to sea for a day (family day). Not for this kid. I saw the way those guys lived (berthing) - no way in hell. Give me land any day of the week.... :)

Now here I am - retired and going on cruises......go figure....

My husband was Navy Nuke ... it took me FOREVER to get him on a cruise ship. Our first 'real' cruise was for our 10th anniversary from San Diego to Mexican Riviera. He LOVED it.

It took another 10 years before we took a 2 week Med. cruise. Again, he LOVED it.

I have met many retired Navy personnel on numerous cruises....they all seemed to love it.

By the way, I must make mention of Carnival....they really go out of their way to honor all military veteran's on their ship's, with special events...

My son was in the Marines. He was selected to go on an Marine Expeditionary Force, on a Navy ship. The ship, was the same one hisGrandfather served on, when he was in the Navy, the USS Cleveland. After 8months on their float, he said would not sail again, even on a cruise ship. Theyran into some very nasty seas. No stabilizers on those ships.

For you Navy and Ex-Navy, you know the size of the bunks onthe ships, especially the older ships. My son called once, when they wereallowed to, in port. He was saying that he had trouble stretching out to sleepsometimes. I told him, roll out on the floor and sleep. He said “Dad, I can’t,I am on the top bunk.”

My son is 6-8……………