Theft

SFloridian

It is not unheard of for a woman to purchase an expensive dress for a special occasion, wear it once, and return it for a full refund. Leaving the tags on it, but carefully tucked away so they won't be seen, facilitates that bit of supterfuge. ;)

Back in the day, it has been alleged that people bought clothing for the guest of honor at open viewing funerals and then removed the clothing before the coffin was closed.

DON

A female friend and I (I'm a woman) were sharing a cabin on a Celebrity cruise when a man's suit was delivered to our cabin. I don't know if it was delivered by our cabin steward or by someone working in the laundry. The cabin steward knew that our cabin was occupied by two women and no men. It was very easy for us to figure out which cabin the suit should have been delivered to. We just had to look at the ship's label. I have no idea why, instead of delivering the suit to the cabin whose number was on the ship's label, they decided to deliver it to us. We returned the suit to the proper cabin.

If either my friend or I was a man, and if he or I had sent a suit to the laundry to be cleaned, we might not have noticed that this suit was delivered to us in error, and we might have wound up packing it and taking it home. And the suit's rightful owner would have been convinced that someone in the laundry department or his cabin steward had stolen it.

I remember reading at cruisecritic about a family of four who each had a green suitcase and when they got off the ship, they started looking for green suitcases. When they got home, they found out that they had five suitcases.

A female friend and I (I'm a woman) were sharing a cabin on a Celebrity cruise when a man's suit was delivered to our cabin. I don't know if it was delivered by our cabin steward or by someone working in the laundry. The cabin steward knew that our cabin was occupied by two women and no men. It was very easy for us to figure out which cabin the suit should have been delivered to. We just had to look at the ship's label. I have no idea why, instead of delivering the suit to the cabin whose number was on the ship's label, they decided to deliver it to us. We returned the suit to the proper cabin.

If either my friend or I was a man, and if he or I had sent a suit to the laundry to be cleaned, we might not have noticed that this suit was delivered to us in error, and we might have wound up packing it and taking it home. And the suit's rightful owner would have been convinced that someone in the laundry department or his cabin steward had stolen it.

I remember reading at cruisecritic about a family of four who each had a green suitcase and when they got off the ship, they started looking for green suitcases. When they got home, they found out that they had five suitcases.

Julie, Love your post name.

Why weren't you on a Prin cess Love boat? :D Kidding, of course.

DW had a nice white sweater stolen from our cabin on RCI Adventure of the Seas (Mar 2016) but we probably contributed to it by going to our cabin early to drop off our carry on bags and she left it lying on the bed. That is the time when most of the cabins are wide open and anyone walking down the hall could have looked in, saw it and picked it up. We brought it to the attention of our cabin steward and checked lost and found each day but it was gone, gone. A lesson learned that we won't do this again. It didn't dampen our cruise experience as we still had a very good time.

DW had a nice white sweater stolen from our cabin on RCI Adventure of the Seas (Mar 2016) but we probably contributed to it by going to our cabin early to drop off our carry on bags and she left it lying on the bed. That is the time when most of the cabins are wide open and anyone walking down the hall could have looked in, saw it and picked it up. We brought it to the attention of our cabin steward and checked lost and found each day but it was gone, gone. A lesson learned that we won't do this again. It didn't dampen our cruise experience as we still had a very good time.

I've often wondered about this possibility if we left our bags off early. It seems to me that on some ships they lock the entrance to the cabin hallway so one cannot do this.

Back in the day, it has been alleged that people bought clothing for the guest of honor at open viewing funerals and then removed the clothing before the coffin was closed.

DON

Wouldn't have to be back in the day. I have a friend who's frugal enough that he'll probably do it to himself. ;p

So I figured with this 3rd theft in 2 years it cost me about 1,000.00 in stolen merchandise.

I don't think you are making this up. BUT, in my opinion you are taking items that are too high priced on a cruise. A Cruise is where I take just my normal things. There is nobody on a cruise that I feel I have to impress each day.

The dress is bizarre, unless you think that this attendant knew what was in my closet and this was something not worn with tags. Then it makes sense that it can be sent as a gift or sold. I know this sounds accusatory, but it was the last thing I packed bc I was going to return it and I also didn't want it to get soiled so it was on top. I carried my own luggage off the ship. The dress was not there when I opened the bag two hours later.

Every human being can be tempted.

Maybe you sat it on the bed for a second, and like you said, it could have easily been picked up with the white sheets accidentally. Do you really think their lady friend or family member just happened to be your size?

Nope, nothing was ever stolen (RCI and Princess cruises).

We put money and docs in the safe, but the camera and phones are usually charging on the table and have never disappeared.

I did misplace (and I mean it) a pair of shorts I specifically bought for the cruise last week. I know that I washed them and packed them for the cruise, but upon arriving I couldn't find them. Everything else was in the suitcases, but the shorts. So, I thought I may have left them at home. They are not at home...

I know they weren't stolen, because we had much more expensive clothes (brand new with labels) in the suitcases, and these were regular shorts bought on clearance.

Also, hubby forgot his nice stainless steel tumbler on the lido deck on one of the tables. Hours later we came back looking for it, and the supervisor got it for us! He didn't take it to the lost and found yet.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Has anyone else experienced theft on cruises? the last 3 cruises I had things stolen. The last 2 from my cabin. This past week I had a box with expensive costume jewelry taken, that I did not realize until I got home bc I wore it the first night and it was in a box separated from the rest of my stuff which was usually in the vault. :mad: Every day various people come into the cabin. It makes me realize how these people go through your things. Makes me very uneasy to cruise again. Most of the time we put the "do not disturb" on the door, just to keep them out. Even with the sign, we would come to the cabin with the sheets turned down and the chocolate on the bed.

I do realize, it was my fault that the first night I left it out. And I do hope that celebrity will handle this better than RC did with a new dress with tags still on it stolen right out of my suitcase before carrying it off the ship (my husband told the attendant we were going for breakfast and leaving the suitcases in the cabin..( I know-great opportunity for him to go in and look-in this case the dress was at the top of the bag bc it was white and I was going to return it-)

I reported this theft like I did the last this year.

I know I will never get my things back, and my husband told me next time he is buying a camera so when we are not in the cabin we can see how they go through our things.

Just wondering if I am the only one that this happens to. It can't be that coincidental.

Before that I had a pair of sneakers with custom orthotics stolen right from under my lounge chair the first day.

At first the ship (RC) said they have cameras and they found the man -that it was staff. Then they changed their tune and said they were wrong. they didn't see anything.. So I figured with this 3rd theft in 2 years it cost me about 1,000.00 in stolen merchandise.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your loss. It does sound very troubling. So far we've had nothing stolen which probably just means no one wants any of our junk. Whups. :o

We do carry a camera and phones but those are always with us or locked in the safe, and I do wear my wedding set and a nice pair of earrings. I did lose a very nice diamond stud on a cruise a few years ago.

Somehow the screw on back which had never loosened in ten years of frequent wear came loose. Probably more a factor of age and use rather than anything nefarious. We searched the bedding and room and never found it, but it may have been lost anywhere over the course of several hours.

No, but in 99% of cases people lose or misplace something while traveling (hotel, cruise ship, etc.) they mistakenly claim it was stolen. It is exceptionally unlikely an Indonesian or Pilipino cabin steward would risk his/her livelihood by stealing a piece of jewelry from a cabin he/she is responsible for. Moreover, every person who goes in and out of your room is registered on the ship’s security cameras.

I had a business partner who would always blame the cleaning people for stealing every time anything got misplaced. Right up to the moment it turned up.

But with Op's long history of credible posting here I can't imagine anyone doubting the story.

The OP has just 11 posts all of which are in this thread so he is a first timer post with a lot of responses to his original first post.. I think that the word "troll" applies.

Like so many others, I leave stuff out. Between my electronics and camera equipment, it amounts to several thousand dollars of stuff. Nothing has ever been taken.

Want to bet that he never comes back with another original thread. I certainly do not feel sorry for him at all. Maybe he is trying to set up some documentation for a claim against his insurance.

Has a matter of mere curiosity, has anyone ever set up a camera as proposed by the OP to monitor who comes into their room?

DON

Yeah, I did.

They stole it.

Barrump Bump.

I've often wondered about this possibility if we left our bags off early. It seems to me that on some ships they lock the entrance to the cabin hallway so one cannot do this.

We were able to board early and the doors were shut as usual. One of the stewards came out the hallway door so I asked if it was OK to go to my cabin and drop off our bags and he smiled, greeted us and told us to proceed. We had an aft cabin so I thought no big deal. As mentioned in my previous post, all the cabin doors were open. I guess in hindsight, I should have closed the cabin door but didn't think anything of it as it appeared the room was ready. Lesson learned, I'll wait until the rooms are cleared for entry and ensure the cabin door is closed.

Am I the only one wondering about that dress with the tags still on it that was going to be returned?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here!

"...but it was the last thing I packed bc I was going to return it and I also didn't want it to get soiled so it was on top."

It is not unheard of for a woman to purchase an expensive dress for a special occasion, wear it once, and return it for a full refund. Leaving the tags on it, but carefully tucked away so they won't be seen, facilitates that bit of supterfuge. ;)

This is more in line with what I was thinking. [emoji15]

You women folk are sooooooo sneaky.:D

"It is not unheard of for a woman to purchase an expensive dress for a special occasion, wear it once, and return it for a full refund."

I hope women, or anyone that does that intentionally realizes that is basically stealing. Now many people purchase something and later change their mind prior to wearing it, that is different. Let's hope that is what happened in the OP case.

"It is not unheard of for a woman to purchase an expensive dress for a special occasion, wear it once, and return it for a full refund."

I hope women, or anyone that does that intentionally realizes that is basically stealing. Now many people purchase something and later change their mind prior to wearing it, that is different. Let's hope that is what happened in the OP case.

I don’t know what happened in the OP’s case nor do I know what she had in mind, but I can tell you that it is a fairly common practice. Ask anyone who works retail clothing.

For many years I worked on the wholesale side. We had a policy to take items back from the stores with no questions asked. One time I was talking to the person who inspected each garment to see if it could be put back into stock. She opened up a box with a velvet dress. It had dried up pasta stuck all over the front. The note from the store read, “customer said the pasta was there when she bought it.” Seriously - you bought a dress with pasta on it? Did you think you might want a snack on the way to your fancy party [emoji12]

• Haha 1

I once bought several outfits from a Coldwater Creek outlet near my home, and one of the outfits had a pair of highly worn pants from a living facility, as they had the labels on the inside of the waist for the laundry staff.

They were so torn and worn, I was very surprised someone managed to slip those in and another pair out.

I wouldn't be surprised if she also shares her husband's drink package. :rolleyes: