First trip to AU and NZ - souvenir shops

sellwingri

There are plenty of shops in the towns near most piers. It's not like in the Caribbean where the shops are often clustered around the pier.

I like the beautiful dish towels in NZ, easy to pack with special kiwi patterns. Also look for soft opossum wool socks, mittens, sweaters. Overall I liked the shopping better in NZ, more tasteful and more useful items. Nice Maori inspired jewelry as well.

Here's a couple of suggestions for various places in Australia:

- Sydney - head to The Rocks (if you are at OPT, its a short walk up the hill). Lots of great quality Aussie souvenirs here.

- Melbourne - head to the Queen Victoria Markets - not sure if the ship's shuttle will take you there, but once you are in the city you can catch a free tram there.

- Brisbane - there are a few shops around the port here, but best to catch the shuttle into the city. Lots of souvenirs stops in Queens Street Mall - some are 'cheap' stores, others offer better quality stuff.

- Hobart - head over to Salamanca Place - lots of great, good quality shops here.

- Perth/Fremantle - at Fremantle there are the Fremantle Markets which is a great spot to pick up a great local bargain.

- Cairns - lots of shops within close walking distance to the port

Good luck :)

In Auckland there is a large souvenir shop over the road and along to the right from Queens Wharf, and more in Queen St.

In Tauranga you need to walk along to the Mt Maunganui shops (only a couple of blocks from the wharf) however if you do a tour to Rotorua I'm sure you'll get an opportunity to shop there, and if you go to Hobbiton there was a shop there.

In Napier the shuttle buses drop off at the Information Centre, and I'm sure there are souvenir shops in the main streets.

I can't remember where the souvenir shops are in Wellington but you shouldn't have any problems finding them.

Akaroa is tiny but there are some interesting little shops for souvenir shopping.

Can't comment about Dunedin, my brother always picks us up at the wharf so I never get a chance to look at the shops.

You have been given great advice.

We were just in Sydney and the Rocks area does have a lot of shops.

We also have bought various items at the large area near Queens Wharf in Aukland on a couple of trips. It has a lot of items.

The towns are all nice so if you have time before or after tours just make sure of them.

Lovely cities. Great countries.

Keith