Bringing snacks into Norway?

GeezerCouple

We usually travel with a supply of snack bars, in case we are caught late at night or in some other situation where there is no easily accessible food (or if there might be an allergy problem with the available food).

We prefer to keep a few things with us that we *know* we like, especially because of the potential food allergy problem.

However, I noticed that if one wants to bring certain food items, there is a restriction in terms of weight (not a problem!) but some of the food items must be from the EEA countries.

(This doesn't include the USA.)

But it seems that this restriction mostly includes meats and cheese (and some pet food).

So... are we okay if we bring in snack bars (grains/granola, etc.) and perhaps some containers of cashews or other nuts?

Thanks.

GC

Correct - If you are bringing meat, meat products or milk, cheese and other milk products, these must be purchased within the EEA area. You might still have too pay VAT of products purchased in EEA countries.

My advise would be to buy snacks which could contain milk or meat when you have arrived into Europe. Snacks without meat or milk should be fine - in bigger quantities you might pay VAT.

If you have any known food allergy problems let the ships restaurant know.

Correct - If you are bringing meat, meat products or milk, cheese and other milk products, these must be purchased within the EEA area. You might still have too pay VAT of products purchased in EEA countries.

My advise would be to buy snacks which could contain milk or meat when you have arrived into Europe. Snacks without meat or milk should be fine - in bigger quantities you might pay VAT.

If you have any known food allergy problems let the ships restaurant know.

Thanks.

The "rules" were a bit unclear.

And the rules differ so much from country to country, some focusing on fresh agricultural products, and quite different elsewhere.

We tend to rely on things like cashews and energy bars, both of which keep quite well.

But we also love cheese, so we'll just wait until we arrive in Oslo to get some. We can't get "lots" anyway, as it doesn't keep well without refrigeration, although I just discovered some shelf-stable cheese on a backpacking campsite. When we return, I'll give that a try. (That sort of reminds me of the horrible "canned cheese product" stuff that my little brother used to eat, and it was mostly chemicals - ugh! The new "stuff" seems more "natural".)

Thanks.

We just didn't want to have some packages of cashews seized, or worse, get into trouble for trying to bring them along.

GC

I think you will be fine in bringing in your own snacks. They don't look at your carry-on or suitcase so you can bring on board pretty much anything!

We brought on our own Vodka that we got in Duty Free when flying from Gatwick to Bergen and it lasted us the entire trip. My husband got Scotch and we had put them in the empty Rum Runners we purchased before leaving the states. Turns out we could've put the bottles in our carry on and they wouldn't have looked.

I bought one bottle of orange juice from the "cafe" and I would refill it each morning with a glass of OJ that I could take from the breakfast buffet. Worked out great!

I think you will be fine in bringing in your own snacks. They don't look at your carry-on or suitcase so you can bring on board pretty much anything!

!

The problem is not Hurtigruten but Norwegian Customs. There are customs restrictions on import of primarily meat, milk and cheese products.