Wind Star to Greek Islands or Silver Muse to Alaska in May 2019

Unibok

Hi, I've posted this question on the Silversea board, but I'd like to hear from Windstar fans as well.

My daughter will be graduating from college next year, and I've promised her (and myself) a trip for the two of us. We've narrowed it down to a 10-day Greek Islands sail on the Wind Star or a 10-day Alaska sail on the Muse.

Very different experiences -- right?? But she is torn between them, as am I. We will add on time for both trips: Anchorage (maybe Denali) and Vancouver for the first, and Athens with perhaps a side trip to another island at the end of the other. We are both active and adventurous, a bit nerdy, and we travel well together. We love theatre and history but also nature and hiking. Each trip satisfies different parts of who we are.

Since we love them both, and they are so very different, I thought I would ask you all: which would YOU choose, and why?

I would go with nerdy because of the art and the ruines and you will also get nature. We did Istanbul to Athens with WS glorious visuals and culturally stimulating. We were in Istanbul 3 days before and same for Athens after. We went for a day trip to Agenia to see the temple of Athena ( part of the great equilateral triangle ) plus the 365 medieval mini churches with ancient frescos. Amazing trip on all fronts. If I were to go to Alaska it would only be with WS, great fan. Happy Sailing

Absolutely Greece. Such a beautiful cruise and so many interesting historical sites.

Disclaimer: I live in the Pacific Northwest and see more wildlife around my house than I saw on our Alaska cruise. The glaciers are really interesting though.

Another vote for Greece. It was one of our favorite cruises. I too live in the Pacific NW, but did not when I took the Alaskan cruise with another line. It was beautiful, but Greece was my favorite. I think a young person would especially have a better time on the Greece trip.

The 2019 Windstar itineraries for the motor yachts haven't been posted yet, so I assume that's why Unibok is looking at Silversea for Alaska in 2019. The 2018 Star Legend itineraries for Alaska are very special and I'm really looking forward to our cruise in May.

We did a Windstar Turkey and Greek islands trip in 2005 and a Crystal Alaska trip in 2017 (because Windstar wasn't going there yet). Both are really wonderful places to explore and I'd find it hard to rank one over the other. For 2019, I'd lean toward choosing Alaska over Greek islands for a couple of reasons. Climate change has got a lot of the tidewater glaciers in retreat and it would be good to see them before they retreat more. We enjoyed our time in Istanbul even more than Athens and maybe Turkey will at some point get stable enough to allow for Athens to Istanbul itineraries to return. (Though, I fear that may take a long time and one may not be willing to wait that long.)

If you do Alaska, I'd highly recommend doing a Kenai Fjords boat excursion from Seward (I think the Silversea Cruise in May 2019 starts or ends in Seward). We saw a lot of wildlife on that tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Both are good choices. We did Alaska when our daughter graduated from college. Loved it. We have been to many Greek islands on cruises. Summer is very hot in greece. The Greek islands are hot and crowded. Best time to visit Greece is fall or early spring. Depending upon your schedule, if you are going in the summer, do Alaska.

We were on the Star last summer Athens to Venice it was in July and very hot we had quite a few families and grandparents with their graduating children and they great time swimming off the back of the ship and of course going to beaches and shore excursions . This would be my choice for my grandson when he graduates from high school

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Star last summer Athens to Venice it was in July and very hot we had quite a few families and grandparents with their graduating children and they great time swimming off the back of the ship and of course going to beaches and shore excursions . This would be my choice for my grandson when he graduates from high school

Great info, barnhand, thank you!