Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 09

pierces

Are the pictures posted in these weekly threads supposed to be taken using manual settings?

I haven't seen any "rules" posted for these threads. I think pierces intent is to give us an excuse to get out and use our cameras and provide a place to post the results.

BTW most of the time I shoot in "aperture priority" which is an automatic mode that adjusts the shutter speed and ISO (if set to auto) to the aperture I select.

Mark

I thought this was the only rule.

Pictures taken between Monday, February 26 and Sunday, March 4.

Oakman is right! That's the only rule! :)

Manual, auto, DSLR, P&S, Phone, scanned from an 8x10 wet plate...as long as it was taken during the week.

The point is to get out, use your camera and have fun!

Dave

I haven't seen any "rules" posted for these threads. I think pierces intent is to give us an excuse to get out and use our cameras and provide a place to post the results.

BTW most of the time I shoot in "aperture priority" which is an automatic mode that adjusts the shutter speed and ISO (if set to auto) to the aperture I select.

Mark

I thought this was the only rule.

Pictures taken between Monday, February 26 and Sunday, March 4.

So no rules! Now can someone please tell me how to post pictures? I don't have anything like Photobucket.

Opening Day. Looking forward to it? Fearing it? A little of both? Matthew made his T-Ball debut on Saturday and did as well as you could expect a four-year-old to do in a version of the game that is a cross between baseball and feeding pigeons. If you've ever watched the rush of tiny, uniformed bodies converge on any ball hit in play, you know what I mean. In this shot, Matthew has just fielded a ball for the second time in his life and the look of anxious concentration as he prepares to throw the ball to first(-ish) tells the story better than my words ever could. Since there are no balls, strikes, or any real rules, stopping the ball twice is an MVP-level T-Ball stat.

Game Day

p2768804699-5.jpg

Dave

A little late getting around to sorting the weekend photos, but here are a few around the wetlands. First, for the interest of avid birders and probably no one else, I got to see and photograph a 'lifer' on Saturday - a brand new species I've never seen before. My list of species on birds is getting decently high at around 340 now, so it's increasingly rare to get something different or new around my hometown.

Starting with the lifer - a vermilion flycatcher. This is a bird which is VERY occasionally spotted on the northwest coast of Florida, but more common into Texas and through Arizona...it's extremely rare and odd to find one on Florida's SE coast...but this one decided that's where he wanted to be, and I thank him for it:

original.jpg

Our nesting eastern screech owl has returned again - this is the 3rd spring in a row he picked the same spot with his mate to nest, in a palm tree in the Green Cay Wetlands that's visible from the walk - though you have to thread the lens through a bunch of trees and branches to get a shot:

original.jpg

An unfortunately increasing rarity to spot - the lovely native green anole of Florida, which has been dwindling in population for decades from invasive and aggressive species moving in...I love to still find one of these smooth, thin green natives:

original.jpg

One of our famous colorful residents - many in Florida think this should be the state bird rather than the mockingbird which is just about EVERYONE'S state bird...Florida and Texas are the only states to have reliable populations of them, and they really stand out - the roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

This big guy is Smilin' Sam. He's an old resident of Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and can often be found lying around on the levees, smiling away. Sure, it's a bit of a scary smile for some - reminds me of the great white shark Bruce from Finding Nemo:

original.jpg

A little late getting around to sorting the weekend photos, but here are a few around the wetlands. First, for the interest of avid birders and probably no one else, I got to see and photograph a 'lifer' on Saturday - a brand new species I've never seen before. My list of species on birds is getting decently high at around 340 now, so it's increasingly rare to get something different or new around my hometown.

Starting with the lifer - a vermilion flycatcher. This is a bird which is VERY occasionally spotted on the northwest coast of Florida, but more common into Texas and through Arizona...it's extremely rare and odd to find one on Florida's SE coast...but this one decided that's where he wanted to be, and I thank him for it:

original.jpg

Our nesting eastern screech owl has returned again - this is the 3rd spring in a row he picked the same spot with his mate to nest, in a palm tree in the Green Cay Wetlands that's visible from the walk - though you have to thread the lens through a bunch of trees and branches to get a shot:

original.jpg

An unfortunately increasing rarity to spot - the lovely native green anole of Florida, which has been dwindling in population for decades from invasive and aggressive species moving in...I love to still find one of these smooth, thin green natives:

original.jpg

One of our famous colorful residents - many in Florida think this should be the state bird rather than the mockingbird which is just about EVERYONE'S state bird...Florida and Texas are the only states to have reliable populations of them, and they really stand out - the roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

This big guy is Smilin' Sam. He's an old resident of Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and can often be found lying around on the levees, smiling away. Sure, it's a bit of a scary smile for some - reminds me of the great white shark Bruce from Finding Nemo:

original.jpg

Fantastic ... we really enjoyed Wakodahatchee when we stopped there for a late afternoon look see.

• 2 weeks later...