Princess Litchfield National Park Shore Excursion

LSGDRG

Has anyone taken the following Princess (or other cruise line) Darwin shore excursion recently: Litchfield National Park: Termite Mounds & Falls? This shore excursion is listed as strenuous. I am trying to find out what it entails. Does it just include walking for a distance? Or does it include hiking/climbing to and from the falls?

I have been to Litchfield NP twice and I just finished reading the details of this excursion and I have no idea why it is rated as “strenuous”. This tour makes two stops—Magnetic Termite Mounds and Wangi Falls.

At the Magnetic Termite Mounds, there is a wooden boardwalk that you use to walk through the mounds. The boardwalk is flat and wheelchair accessible. The distance along the boardwalk, as I recall, is no more than 1/2 mile (1km) and is probably even less. (We walked it with children, so it could not be too far!) This is definitely not a strenuous walk.

The next stop is at Wangi Falls where you eat lunch in the cafe and then view the falls and possibly swim if conditions allow. The walk from the parking area to the cafe and then down to the area where you can see the falls is over grass or a gravel path. Thus, the surface is uneven but the path is not steep or long. Unless you have real mobility issues, this walk would not be a problem.

If you want to swim, it could be strenuous to swim over to the falls, but you can also just stand in the shallow area of the water which is not strenuous.

There is no shade at the Termite Mounds, so you need a hat and sunscreen. The cafe is outdoors but under a roof, so there’s no direct sunlight. Much of the area near the water is shaded, but a hat and sunscreen is always recommended.

Edited by GradUT