Insurance UK to USA on QM2

Chelseagirls

Any travel insurance which needs to include the US is always going to be more expensive. Are your quotes just for this trip?

We use LV=, we have an annual policy which includes Cruise Cover but doesn't include US travel.

I am confused, have used comparison sites for insurance with pre meds. Quotes range from £118 to £523. They all cover up to £10m medical. Any ideas please.

I dont pay that much for annual travel insurance covering worldwide travel with Aviva for me and my wife both with medical conditions.

One of our reasons for giving up cruising was the difficulty of getting travel insurance when you have pre existing conditions. After my wife's illness in 2005 we could only get limited cover for Europe, and even then some countries were excluded. The USA was a big NO, our plan to go round the world on retirement had to be scrapped, but we have had some great cruise round Europe instead.

Some of the quotes we got then were horrendous, equal to the cost of the cruise! Even now, older and with a few more declarable conditions its difficult, I think we have had 6 different insurance companies over the years.

There are US insurers that issue travel insurance policies with waivers of the pre-existing conditions exclusion. Cost for a single trip runs about 5 to 10 percent of total covered costs (including cruise fares). I don't know whether they will issue policies to non-US residents, but it would be worth looking into. Just Google "trip insurance" and you'll see links to several Internet-based agents. We've used one such agent for more than 12 years now, covering half a dozen cruises, and have no complaints (including a couple of property-damage and trip-delay claims that were handled expeditiously and to our complete satisfaction).

I live in the US and have bought travel policies here that include travel within the US that cover medical (usually not past $100k, but also include evacuation) but are ok with preexisting conditions if you purchase the policy when you book the cruise.. AS above the polices are not that bad, around 10%. I would absolutely not get less than $250k for US coverage.