Trip report on the Odyssey from Barbados, and things that might be helpful

lynn-in-nc

We just returned from our first Seabourn cruise, and overall it was really wonderful. It was our first cruise on an ultra-luxury line, previous to this we have traveled with friends and the last cruise we did on Norwegian was in their spa suite which featured similar service and private dining just for suite passengers. A little elitist, but very nice to get away from the other 3000+ passengers at mealtime.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some things that I didn't know or hadn't been able to find the answers to before the trip.

Barbados

There is lots to do and see in Barbados. We arrived two days early and rented a car which was great. However, since the return flight to Miami didn't leave until after 4:30 pm it might have been better to stay a couple of days at the other end.

Embarkation

We had received no instructions about embarkation other than that we could start boarding at 2. We had to check out of our hotel at 11 so we went ahead to the cruise terminal and were actually able to board around noon. Embarkation was smooth and easy - so different with 450 passengers as opposed to thousands!

Suite

We opted for the Penthouse spa suite and were thrilled with it. I believe these suites were added at some point fairly recently so they are newer and the decor is more modern. The bathroom is fantastic, with a huge deluxe shower and soaking tub (the soaking tub was really too big for me, at 5'3"!!). There are videos online so I won't spend too much time on this. We chose 1090 because it's on the end and we had a panoramic balcony which was marvelous.

Bottled still and sparkling water are provided, as well as two refrigerators - one with juices and one with sodas and tonic. A bottle of liquor is supplied for each passenger and I suppose they would bring more if you run out which we never did.

There was a tea set provided, along with interesting flower teas. But as others have said, no coffee maker which is surprising. The Norwegian suite had a Lavazza italian espresso machine. Yes - you can order it from room service, but then you have to know when to get it. And it's frankly not that great. There is a coffee bar on the 7th floor in Seabourn Square, but then you have to get dressed to get your morning coffee.

The laundry takes two days unless you put it out before 10 am, then it's delivered the next day. There is a 50% surcharge for same day service.

Food

The food is absolutely great. From the breakfast at the cafeteria style Colonnade to the main Restaurant, everything we had was marvelous. We did book a table at the Thomas Keller grill which I found to be somewhat pretentious and really not any better than the main restaurant. The service at the main restaurant was perfect. The Colonnade is more informal and that was the area where I was disappointed with the service, on more than one occasion I had to start clearing a table to get a seat before someone would come and clear it for us.

Wine is included, but there isn't a list of what wines are included which makes it confusing. A red and a white are offered with every meal but you can ask for something else. And premium wines are listed on the menu but I suspect not all of the available wines are listed.

Someone we met onboard told us that caviar is available everywhere but you have to know to ask. On our last evening the people at the table behind us ordered everything off the menu - something we had no idea was even possible!

Spa/fitness

The spa services are excellent, and the facility is beautiful. The fitness center is small with the minimum equipment you need for a decent workout but I suppose that's not something the Seabourn population demands. The spa amenities in my view are not worth paying extra for - the heated stone seats and sauna are wonderful if you're cruising in Canada, but in the Caribbean you really don't need the extra heat.

Other miscellaneous things

The internet worked pretty well but is slow. My advice is, go ahead and spring for internet for the week and don't do what I did which was to buy four hours. You will use up a lot of it waiting for your pages to open! The public computers required a paid account.

It was hit or miss nearly every day whether we would land at the port which we were assigned to so I was glad I had not been able to organize off-ship excursions on our own as I usually do. Excursions booked on the ship were rearranged by the staff and required no effort or thought.

Final thoughts

I would definitely sail Seabourn again because of the small size of the ship and the quality of the food. But there were enough little annoyances that I did not forge a hard and fast allegiance to Seabourn.

Thanks for your report very interesting.

Did you not realise that they also have a free sauna and steam room on Odyssey they are in the ladies and Gents Changing rooms, they do not tell you about these hoping that Guests purchase the Spa pass.

Quote "The spa amenities in my view are not worth paying extra for -

I also note that during the Caribbean Season these may not be required.

Thanks for your report although I have never had any trouble getting dressed and going to get a coffee in Seabourn square.

I think you could have asked for a Nespresso machine to be in your suite as others have done.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I’m sure the OP would not have “trouble getting dressed” to get their own coffee in the Square. I’m sure that it was their choice not to do so and they would prefer to stay in their suite in the early morning hours. I was not aware that you could have a Nespresso machine delivered to your suite, but I don’t drink coffee so would not have asked for one. Is that something Seabourn offers in every suite? I have not seen it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of Seabourn's signature days is Caviar in the Surf, held on private island in the Caribbean and/or some Thailand beaches. I hope you had one of those barbeque days on your cruise; it is a highlight of Seabourn's always-available Champagne and caviar advertising.

Thanks for what I would perceive to be a pretty good report of my understanding of what a Seabourn cruise is all about.

My wife and I feel very at home on Seabourn, as we feel relaxed.

The wine is one area that we feel should be much better considering how much such cruises cost and how little alcohol generally costs cruise lines. We feel branded champagne should be included.

We enjoy caviar and champagne / cocktails most evenings before dinner but recently we have had to wait longer for service.

However, the officers are very proactive at dealing with any grumbles.

If we cruise into Miami, we usually rent a car as th flights never leave until the evening and it gives us somewhere to leave our luggage.

We feel branded champagne should be included.

I don't understand this? Not sure if I'm losing something in translation here although I do like to think my English is pretty good these days.

Surely NF is a brand? It's available outside of Seabourn ships, in shops and some of the airlines also use it.

NF is a champagne house in its own right. why does that make it not a brand? Or do you mean 'we feel branded champagne that's a pleasure to drink should be included"? ;p

Can u get a car rental off the ship upon debarkatiom? Our flight is at 2:18, we would only have till 12 but might be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only one rental company allowed on the dock in Barbados. Can't remember the name but you can find it on Tripadvisor. We rented from Stoutes for our pre cruise stay in Barbados but had to return the car to the Hilton Hotel and get a cab to the port. We remarked that we were glad we weren't returning a rental car to the port as it is so busy. It might be better to negotiate with a taxi for an island tour. Also, we were more than two hours doing bag drop and getting through immigration when we left Barbados. I would allow three hours to be comfortable. It's also very hot and nowhere to sit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums