Snorkeling the GBR from Cairns

Bfb832cc

We had a really calm day. The last site though did get a bit choppy towards the end but we were there for the giant Coral. The first site had the best fish and OMG I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's an absolute crap shoot on weather. It was an unforgettable experience.

Thank you! Cannot wait for our trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Cannot wait for our trip!!

Have you booked your accommodation yet? We stayed here last year and are back this November. Just loved it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g255070-d1554077-Paradise_Villa_B_B_Port_Douglas-Port_Douglas_Queensland.html

Thank you! Did you find the water rough or ok to snorkel in? I hear the water can be pretty rough on the way out and back, but was not sure about the snorkeling sites.

The "roughness" at the places that Wavelength stops for snorkeling depend on the wind. If it's a windy day, then you will have more waves on the Reef. Also, the 3rd stop generally tends to be "rougher" because they take you to a spot on the edge of the Outer Reef. But, having said that, Wavelength has multiple possible moorings, so they will take you to the best moorings considering that day's weather and water conditions.

Because of its popularity, you will want to pre-book your trip with Wavelength. But a couple days before you arrive, you can contact them to see what the prediction for wind is going to be on the day that you booked. If it's going to be a windy day, they will re-book you to a calmer day IF they have available space.

• 6 months later...

We will be docking in Cairns, 10 am to 7 pm.

Been looking for recommendations for boats that go to the GBR, even half day, like 12 to 5.

Most suggestions I see are for Port Douglas but would really rather do it out of Cairns if possible.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Right now we are booked on the ship's excursion (Princess) but the more I read about it, I'm not sure we'll be happy with it (100 pax on a catamaran all day at one spot on the reef).

Thanks!

We will be docking in Cairns, 10 am to 7 pm.

Been looking for recommendations for boats that go to the GBR, even half day, like 12 to 5.

Most suggestions I see are for Port Douglas but would really rather do it out of Cairns if possible.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Right now we are booked on the ship's excursion (Princess) but the more I read about it, I'm not sure we'll be happy with it (100 pax on a catamaran all day at one spot on the reef).

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge there are no half day boats out of Cairns. On a stop in Cairns last March with a similar 10 am to 7 PM port call I got a group of about 30 together on the Roll Call and chartered a boat called the Sea Star (look them up on trip advisor, they are the number one rated boat). They normally leave Cairns before 8 AM and go to two stops on the reef. With a full charter we left Cairns around 11 and went to just one stop on the reef. Great boat and crew and really fine weather. Reef was wonderful. We had 3+ hours on the reef for snorkeling/scuba (only 2 divers) and also a glass bottom boat for those who got a little tired of swimming.

Note that I started this about a year before the cruise. If they already have bookings for their regular day trip they might not be willing to cancel them. Also, lots of administration; emails and mailing of checks since payment had to be made in advance. Total cost worked out to around US$140pp. It can be done but it is a lot of work. I had a core group of 5 couples and had to recruit another 20+ strangers to join us. Had to deal with cancellations and waiting lists not to mention rounding up everyone on the gangway and walking them to the marina. But it was well worth it. The experience was vastly superior to what we heard about the ship excursion.

Good luck, Robbie

Due to the hours that you are in Cairns, you really have no options other than taking a ship’s excursion or, like Robbie, booking a private charter. The regular day-long snorkel tours all depart around 8-8:30 am.

There MAY be some boats that offer half-day trips out of Cairns to Green Island but it would not be worth your time or money. The coral at Green Island is in poor condition and, thus, you find less sealife there. Plus, Green Island is packed with day trippers.

There is one company out of Port Douglas that offers short snorkeling tours to either the Low Isles or the Outer Reef, ReefSprinter. But you would have to travel an hour from Cairns just to get to PD and get only an abbreviated time to snorkel. (Note: the Low Isles, unlike Green Island, is a good place to snorkel. It’s not as good as the Outer Reef, but you will still find plenty of healthy coral and sealife there.). Here’s their website: http://www.reefsprinter.com.au/index.html

Thank you Robbie21 and GradUT for your replies.

I have to admit I was very excited about a trip out to the reef, thinking we were going to the anchored pontoon, and only recently learned that is not the case from someone who sailed the same itinerary last fall.

Their review of that excursion was less than sterling and I am not sure what to do. Very disappointed as would love to visit the reef but not sure I want to spend AUD$250 on a less than exciting excursion.

The "roughness" at the places that Wavelength stops for snorkeling depend on the wind. If it's a windy day, then you will have more waves on the Reef. Also, the 3rd stop generally tends to be "rougher" because they take you to a spot on the edge of the Outer Reef. But, having said that, Wavelength has multiple possible moorings, so they will take you to the best moorings considering that day's weather and water conditions.

Because of its popularity, you will want to pre-book your trip with Wavelength. But a couple days before you arrive, you can contact them to see what the prediction for wind is going to be on the day that you booked. If it's going to be a windy day, they will re-book you to a calmer day IF they have available space.

GradUT,

We got back last month from our trip to Australia/NZ, and your recommendations were spot on. Loved Port Douglas, loved the Meridian, and Wavelength was wonderful, as well as Tony’s. Thank you for the time you take to help other travelers out!! We cannot wait to go back!

GradUT,

We got back last month from our trip to Australia/NZ, and your recommendations were spot on. Loved Port Douglas, loved the Meridian, and Wavelength was wonderful, as well as Tony’s. Thank you for the time you take to help other travelers out!! We cannot wait to go back!

You are certainly welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed PD so much. I can’t wait to go back too!

GradUT,

So pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip.