Half Moon Cay: how do things work?

Handsome Dancer

I'm a first-time cruiser. Carnival Elation arrives at 9 AM. I booked a short excursion (stingrays) for 10 AM.

• Do I understand correctly that my excursion group will meet on the ship and go over as a group?
  • After my excursion, will it be too late for me to rent some shade? E.g. I've read there are $25 "clamshells," but they may sell out. I'd consider skipping the excursion rather than risk likely sunburn (Irish blood, so I have to be careful).
  • Also, what do you bring? I'm assuming a towel, sunscreen, and my Sail and Sign card. And maybe a fanny pack with my smartphone, a waterproof cover for taking photos, maybe a hat and reading.

I'm a first-time cruiser too. Sailing Carnival Elation May 5 and we'll be going to Half Moon Cay also. I unfortunately don't have any experience to help you with but I have heard that the clamshells can sometimes be reserved in advance. I didn't see that option on the cruise excursions so maybe contact Carnival directly or your travel agent if you have one. I'd be interested in that too. Let me know if you find out. Good luck!

I have not been to Half Moon Cay yet but sailing on same cruise as CJ88 so will be visiting for the first time too! Belize is also a tender port and when we booked an excursion there they had us meet on ship and then take the tender over together. If I recall correctly the time and location to meet was on the excursion tickets they leave in your room.

Looking at pictures of Half Moon Cay it does look like there are clamshells there. If no one responds with rental info prior to your cruise, I would recommend contacting the Excursion desk once you get on board to inquire about renting one. In Roatan you reserve them right on your booking page, but I am not seeing that option for Half Moon Cay in my booking.

Yes there are clamshells and they have to be purchased on the beach, not ahead of time. They do have a lot of them, but I'd be concerned about them selling out if you do your expedition first. Are you traveling with anybody who can reserve an extra one for you if you do your expedition?

I also think you can only purchase them with your Sail and Sign card, not cash or credit. I'm not 100% sure on that (we went in November so not fresh in my memory...) But both my husband and I seem to remember that. And yes bring a towel and some sunscreen and a drink BC the cups they provide with lunch are comically small. The food was good though!

Yes there are clamshells and they have to be purchased on the beach, not ahead of time. They do have a lot of them, but I'd be concerned about them selling out if you do your expedition first. Are you traveling with anybody who can reserve an extra one for you if you do your expedition?

No, I'm traveling solo.

I also think you can only purchase them with your Sail and Sign card, not cash or credit. I'm not 100% sure on that (we went in November so not fresh in my memory...) But both my husband and I seem to remember that. And yes bring a towel and some sunscreen and a drink BC the cups they provide with lunch are comically small. The food was good though!

Thanks to both of you for that useful information.

I'm a first-time cruiser. Carnival Elation arrives at 9 AM. I booked a short excursion (stingrays) for 10 AM.

• Do I understand correctly that my excursion group will meet on the ship and go over as a group?
  • After my excursion, will it be too late for me to rent some shade? E.g. I've read there are $25 "clamshells," but they may sell out. I'd consider skipping the excursion rather than risk likely sunburn (Irish blood, so I have to be careful).
  • Also, what do you bring? I'm assuming a towel, sunscreen, and my Sail and Sign card. And maybe a fanny pack with my smartphone, a waterproof cover for taking photos, maybe a hat and reading.

When we were there last June, we met our Stringray excursion on Half Moon Cay. Then we took a golf cart to the excursion.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Is it too late to move your stingray excursion? When my husband and I did one in 2016, we chose the last available time and there were only four of us in the water. We got a LOT of time with the cuddly ladies. If you've never done one, you'll love it... when it's feeding time, stingrays turn into enthusiastic kittens.

When we were there last June, we met our Stringray excursion on Half Moon Cay. Then we took a golf cart to the excursion.

Is it too late to move your stingray excursion? When my husband and I did one in 2016, we chose the last available time and there were only four of us in the water. We got a LOT of time with the cuddly ladies. If you've never done one, you'll love it... when it's feeding time, stingrays turn into enthusiastic kittens.

I canceled it before all the information in this thread came in. Now that I've read all the posts I may rebook it. Do you remember when that last available time was?