Character Meet & Greet

cruisin1982

There are only a few meet and greets that require tickets--the "Princess Gathering," "Frozen Characters," and occasional special appearances. For all the others, you just get in line...15 minutes before the appearance time is a good idea as it will put you at the beginning of a line and often enable you to see a second character in the same time frame.

For those that do advance tickets, you request the free tickets on line in the same manner you would book an excursion or any other activity; how far in advance you can book depends on how many DCL cruises you've done. If there are no more tickets available on line (can happen on short cruises), go to the Port Adventures desk after boarding and see whether any are left or whether they can place you on a wait list.

For the most part 15 minutes ahead will definitely put you at the front of the line (or starting it) for the scheduled meet and greet locations posted in the Navigator. With that being said, you may have exceptions such as for Captain Jack Sparrow, Thor (on the Marvel sailings), etc. Moki'smommy is spot on with the information for the meet and greets that require tickets. Only other thing I'd emphasize is that for events that require tickets like the princess gathering and frozen meet and greets, you have to have a ticket and you can't just line up.

Edited by Qbie

Have you noticed this on all the cruises or just the 3 day? Just curious. Thanks.

There are rare characters and situations where lines form way early, but it is not the norm. I can't address 3 night cruises; I don't like them and haven't done one in almost 10 years. The only good thing I'll say about a 3 night cruise is that it is better than no cruise at all.

are the princess gathering and frozen meet and greet on all cruises? also, does anyone know which marvel characters are available to meet on non-marvel themed cruises? have one daughter who loves princesses and another who loves super heroes.

Yes, princess gathering and Frozen characters have been on every cruise that I'm aware of for the last several years. You do need to be aware that no character appearance is ever guaranteed--illness, etc. can upset the schedule.

I know of no way to predict Marvel characters on non-superhero cruises. They seem to be sporadic. The Magic always has Marvel Academy. however. And dads love to do it during the open house hours!

For those that do advance tickets' date=' you request the free tickets on line in the same manner you would book an excursion or any other activity; how far in advance you can book depends on how many DCL cruises you've done. If there are no more tickets available on line (can happen on short cruises), go to the Port Adventures desk after boarding and see whether any are left or whether they can place you on a wait list.[/quote']

We will be first time DCL cruisers. If we request the tickets on the first day we are allowed to, what's the chance that we will not get the tickets? We will be on a 5-night cruise.

I remember in our last cruise I was checking RCCL's cabana availability on a daily basis until I got one. At least this time I know exactly when I can do that!

No one can give you an accurate estimate of the chances of ticket availability. I'm guessing that you are on one of the "classic" ships, so that's good. It depends totally on how many people request tickets before you do...and whether they do one or two "princess gatherings." I've seen 2 on some 7 night cruises, but I've never done a 5 night cruise. My guess is that there will be only one. Frozen has never been a problem--they seem to have plenty of slots available.

A cruise during school break is more likely to have a greater number of older kids who don't care about princesses; during the off season you get more little kids who want to see them. If you don't get a ticket for the gathering, you can still see the princesses individually--check the PALS line, navigator, etc. for the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
are the princess gathering and frozen meet and greet on all cruises? also, does anyone know which marvel characters are available to meet on non-marvel themed cruises? have one daughter who loves princesses and another who loves super heroes.

It will inevitably vary but, Captain America, Black Widow, and Spider Man were regulars on our non-Marvel Wonder cruise last month.