Gratuities?

SPacificbound

New to Oceania, and I have been reading posts and have so far not seen how Oceania handles gratuities.

They charge them to your onboard account (unless your TA has paid for them or you had a promo where PPG were included).

Seriously, not discussed on this board; why not? The OP asked a question.

Here is the response from me (dated Sept 2017).

Oceania automatically adds a $15 per-day gratuity to each passenger's shipboard account (any age). An additional $7 per passenger, per day, will be added for cruisers occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's suites where butler service is provided.

Seriously, not discussed on this board; why not? The OP asked a question.

Here is the response from me (dated Sept 2017).

Oceania automatically adds a $15 per-day gratuity to each passenger's shipboard account (any age). An additional $7 per passenger, per day, will be added for cruisers occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's suites where butler service is provided.

I think they've increased since then. I think Yo's reasoning is that many of us that post here on a regular basis either;

1. Have cruised with Oceania over 10 times and get them included

2. Book under a promotion where they are included.

3. Have them paid for by their Travel Agent.

or a combination of the above.

Therefore it doesn't really come up much.

I don't Yo meant anything negative by that comment.

I think they've increased since then.

Yes they have increased. From the FAQs:

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

Yes they have increased. From the FAQs:

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

Do most people find these adequate and appropriate, or are additional gratuities in order?

Do most people find these adequate and appropriate, or are additional gratuities in order?

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but if my cabin steward does a really good job I always tip him/her in cash, in addition to the standard tip.

Oceania has the higher gratuities on cruise lines at the moment. In all ships we have been, the crew does an excellent job and all are hard working. In the Oceania ship, in which we were, this was not different from other cruise lines.

We usually leave additional tips for the cabin attendants in all ships we cruise. Room service, we tip at time of service.

Ivi

They charge them to your onboard account (unless your TA has paid for them or you had a promo where PPG were included).

My travel agent pays them for me as a perk....yours may too if pressed if your getting an OBC the auto gratuities will come out of it at like 30 a day min ( for 2) Bars add 18% to your drink I think adding to that is a bit much....

For me...NO unless I request special things. And that's only for cabin stewards. Maybe figure on $10 a day extra as a guide line

Will give additional on a case by case basis. Mostly to our butler. :):):)

New to Oceania, and I have been reading posts and have so far not seen how Oceania handles gratuities.

It's like other lines. They will add $16PP per day to your account. We always tip extra. We're in the hospitality industry & like to take care of our "own". That being said, in the Grand dining room(Riviera)we never had the same staff twice. The only people we wound up tipping extra, was the cabin attendant & her assistant.

• 2 weeks later...
We stay in one of the upper suites, and when everyone does a great job--like the Cabin Stewards and Butler, plus depending on what we ask as extra we always tip additional money. Rick

Same for us

Plus my wife, the coffee addict, always tips the baristas

I know that some big drinkers tip certain bartenders

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same for us

Plus my wife, the coffee addict, always tips the baristas

Now I’m beginning to understand why I never got served in Baristas when next in line,I thought it was my height or sex or hair colour or even my nationality.

I am not sure why you do not get served in Baristas... I have never tipped there at the Oceania Sirena and I have always got a wonderful expreso. They even know what I would regularly order: an expreso and a cantucci. Very friendly service!

Ivi

Now I’m beginning to understand why I never got served in Baristas when next in line,I thought it was my height or sex or hair colour or even my nationality.

never had a problem on any ship getting served

we never tipped either

:confused:

we did give the girl there a small tip on the last morning last year because she was such a great person & chatted when she was not busy

We have only had "upper suites". And the tips have always been included by our TA. That said - we tip our Butler about 200$ for a 14 night cruise. Steward a bit less. For the rest of the crew we figure that what our TA pays for us covers them. We have NEVER tipped a waiter or a barrista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums