Twizy

WatchHill

We have done multiple trips to Bermuda for decades and have rented peddle bikes, scooters, opted for bus passes and now looking at a new transportation experience that has popped on the scene. Tourists are now able to rent mini electric "cars" called a Twizy to get around the island. Has anyone rented one of these and willing to their experience?

In 2019, we are planning another cruise to Bermuda along with another couple, and thought that renting 2 of these would be a wonderful way to explore the island on our own time schedule.

Darcy

They look pretty fun- I’d be comfortable with them in a way I no longer am comfortably with the scooters (we used to do scooters years ago but things just got too congested).

There are restrictions on some of them- for example the Twizys at the Hamilton Princess can only be rented by guests of the Hamilton Princess. The same is for the ones at the Mid Ocean Club and a few other locations. Sounds like things aren’t 100% rolled out yet but looks promising.

We have done multiple trips to Bermuda for decades and have rented peddle bikes, scooters, opted for bus passes and now looking at a new transportation experience that has popped on the scene. Tourists are now able to rent mini electric "cars" called a Twizy to get around the island. Has anyone rented one of these and willing to their experience?

In 2019, we are planning another cruise to Bermuda along with another couple, and thought that renting 2 of these would be a wonderful way to explore the island on our own time schedule.

Darcy

Currently they can only be rented at some hotels so not many reports. They require charge stations. Hotel guests who rented them have been positive. The limited rental situation should be changing, they are putting in charging stations at the Dockyard. I suggest checking back later in the year or early next year for updated info since you are not planning to cruise until 2019. Also link to the Twizy rental web site below.

https://www.currentvehicles.com

They look pretty fun- I’d be comfortable with them in a way I no longer am comfortably with the scooters (we used to do scooters years ago but things just got too congested).

There are restrictions on some of them- for example the Twizys at the Hamilton Princess can only be rented by guests of the Hamilton Princess. The same is for the ones at the Mid Ocean Club and a few other locations. Sounds like things aren’t 100% rolled out yet but looks promising.

From the Twizy web site, it seems the Hamilton Princess is our only option for renting as all of the other listed locations indicate we must be hotel guests. The Princess on the south shore only rents to hotel guests. The cruise is well over a year away and if these vehicles are successful and safer, maybe other companies will offer them. Our days of renting scooters are ancient history; yes increased traffic and age have made us come to our senses. Left side driving has never been problematic for either of us.

I'll have DH send an inquiry to the Twizy company for clarification and find out the specifics.

Darcy

From the Twizy web site, it seems the Hamilton Princess is our only option for renting as all of the other listed locations indicate we must be hotel guests. The Princess on the south shore only rents to hotel guests. The cruise is well over a year away and if these vehicles are successful and safer, maybe other companies will offer them. Our days of renting scooters are ancient history; yes increased traffic and age have made us come to our senses. Left side driving has never been problematic for either of us.

I'll have DH send an inquiry to the Twizy company for clarification and find out the specifics.

Darcy

I would definitely confirm for the ones at Hamilton Princess because they were militantly only for hotel guests last time I asked.

Thanks to all who replied. Since the cruise ins't until May, 2019, we have ample time to sit back and see if more rental options open up. I know there are charging stations at St George and the ones at the dock yard are in process. Worse case, we do the bus & ferry.

Darcy

Darcy

I looked one over, 1 seat in front 1 behind.

Very compact.

Defenetly Not For me. I'll stick with the pink buses.:hearteyes:

I looked one over, 1 seat in front 1 behind.

Very compact.

Defenetly Not For me. I'll stick with the pink buses.:hearteyes:

I have not seen one yet but I have a feeling it won't be for me either. The way they drive in Bermuda and all the carnage I read about on the roads in the Bermuda press in the last few years, they have a real problem there with people not obeying speed limits and traffic laws, I would hesitate to rent a full size car if they were available much less something that compact like the Twizy except around Hamilton or St. George's. They need speed cameras to enforce the speed limits and DWI checkpoints.

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all who replied. Since the cruise ins't until May, 2019, we have ample time to sit back and see if more rental options open up. I know there are charging stations at St George and the ones at the dock yard are in process. Worse case, we do the bus & ferry.

Darcy

Hi Darcy!

We are going to be in Bermuda this June. I have already reserved a two-day for our stay. I will try to remember to post about the experience. I can tell you the company has been great to work with so far.. they sent directions on how to download a map of the island and then how to get it to show where the charging stations are. One thing I have found out is there is only a small glove box so don't count on having a secure place to store anything. My DH and I were th er 40 years ago for our honeymoon and did the mopeds. We much prefer to explore on our own.

Don’t know anything about renting Twizys in Bermuda but 6 of us rented them in Bonaire last year. What a Blast! They actually go very fast on straight stretches. We loved them. Yes, they are small. I sat in front and my 19 year old son sat in the back as he wanted to video tape. When we stopped to see something, we simply opened the door, I got out and the seat moved forward for him to exit. I would not hesitate to rent them again.

Don’t know anything about renting Twizys in Bermuda but 6 of us rented them in Bonaire last year. What a Blast! They actually go very fast on straight stretches. We loved them. Yes, they are small. I sat in front and my 19 year old son sat in the back as he wanted to video tape. When we stopped to see something, we simply opened the door, I got out and the seat moved forward for him to exit. I would not hesitate to rent them again.

The Twizys can now be rented by cruise passengers. They have to be picked up in Hamilton and returned to Hamilton. There are charging stations now at the Dockyard. They can be booked at the website I linked to in post #3 of this thread.

The Twizys can now be rented by cruise passengers. They have to be picked up in Hamilton and returned to Hamilton. There are charging stations now at the Dockyard. They can be booked at the website I linked to in post #3 of this thread.

Yes, DH has been monitory the twizy web site and is thrilled that he can now rent one for our time in Bermuda. Yes, they are small and not much room for extras within the confines of the vehicle, but it gives us options to visit multiple sites on the island and do so at our own pace. Another couple with whom we will be cruising will follow DH's lead as we explore the island. We are both comfortable with driving left side of the road with a history of visiting Bermuda and frequent trips to England - DH learned to drive left side while living in Seychelles. Still need to be cautious.

Darcy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...we too are interested in renting a twizzy during our vacation in September. we have never been to Bermuda and think this would be a great way to see the island.

My question is, how is the parking situation at various sites? Is there plenty? Are there parking fees involved in towns like a parking meter?

I've reserved one for our cruise stop in Bermuda next month. Question - did yours have any kind of air conditioning, or was it just completely open air?

where is Hamilton as it relates to the cruise dock? how do you get to Hamilton from the cruise dock? this is our first trip to Bermuda and we would prefer to do our own "thing" as well. any feedback would be appreciated. cost of Twizy?

Different cruise lines dock at different places in Bermuda. My cruise HAL's Veendam, docks in Hamilton. It's a short walk to the hotel to pick up the Twizy. The cost for 24 hours is $99 plus $30 for insurance, so $129 all in. It's cheaper than taking a ship excursion that goes around the island for 2 people (and you can stop whenever and wherever you'd like), but more than if you take a bus route. I just thought this little "car" would be a hoot to spend the day in. Life's all about adventure!!!

I've reserved one for our cruise stop in Bermuda next month. Question - did yours have any kind of air conditioning, or was it just completely open air?

The Twizys for rent in Bermuda are open air. No air conditioning.

cd50319321db3c70582a3fa496664635.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

where is Hamilton as it relates to the cruise dock? how do you get to Hamilton from the cruise dock? this is our first trip to Bermuda and we would prefer to do our own "thing" as well. any feedback would be appreciated. cost of Twizy?

A little birdie tells me that your cruise ship is NCL Escape. You will be docked at the Royal Navy Dockyard. The best way to get to Hamilton is by ferry. About a 30 minute ride. The pickup and drop off point is at the Hamilton Princess Hotel. A short walk from the ferry terminal. More info and booking engine is on the website below.

https://www.currentvehicles.com/

Different cruise lines dock at different places in Bermuda. My cruise HAL's Veendam, docks in Hamilton. It's a short walk to the hotel to pick up the Twizy. The cost for 24 hours is $99 plus $30 for insurance, so $129 all in. It's cheaper than taking a ship excursion that goes around the island for 2 people (and you can stop whenever and wherever you'd like), but more than if you take a bus route. I just thought this little "car" would be a hoot to spend the day in. Life's all about adventure!!!

Good choice of ships!

Besides buses and ships excursions there are plenty of taxis. Please review your Twizy experience here when you get back. You will be among the first cruise ship passengers to rent one. How many days are you renting it?

Good choice of ships!

Besides buses and ships excursions there are plenty of taxis. Please review your Twizy experience here when you get back. You will be among the first cruise ship passengers to rent one. How many days are you renting it?

Veendam is really one of the best choices given the docking in Hamilton. The Dockyard is so remote. Insignia will be calling on St George’s and Hamilton in 2019.

Veendam is really one of the best choices given the docking in Hamilton. The Dockyard is so remote. Insignia will be calling on St George’s and Hamilton in 2019.

It is a shame that Veendam has been redeployed to Europe after this year and won’t be doing Bermuda in 2019. I did two Veendam sailings to Hamilton.

I would not say the Dockyard is remote. Bermuda is not that big that any place is remote and there are plenty of options for getting around Bermuda from the Dockyard. I prefer docking at Hamilton over the Dockyard but Bermuda is very doable if docked at the Dockyard.

Insignia will only be doing a few sailings that call on St. George’s and Hamilton in 2019. I think I found three. It is a limited option. I have booked one of those sailings.

Edited by Charles4515

We have a Twizy reserved for April 25-27th. I will do a review when I get back. I will be checking the weather and if it is going to be raining a lot during those days I plan on canceling the reservation because I do not want to be wet and cold on vacation. Instead we will get spa passes!