Sony a7 iii - looks to be a game changer

You jest...but just you wait! Combine Alexa with drones, and no one will need to leave their house. "Alexa, send the drone to Paris and photograph the Eiffel Tower".

We are already there, it's one of the reasons pure entry level consumer photography is dying. Why send your own drone? Just crowd source....

Go to google maps and pulls up lots of still images and 360 degree panoramas from may different angles of the Eiffel Tower.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.85863,2.2936144,3a,75y,111.93h,136.85t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPjKK17n9XwwFLkggHXIgkdpv73hey83iTxjpet!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPjKK17n9XwwFLkggHXIgkdpv73hey83iTxjpet%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya168.1198-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352

Why should a pure layperson bother with taking a mediocre shot of the Eiffel Tower with a Canon Rebel, when they can just download thousands of superior images?

To just snap the family standing in front of the Eiffel Tower.. just use the phone. Actually, the phone is better than a "real camera" since you can't take good selfies with most ILC cameras.

So a phone for selfies...

And for scenic shots, just use google images/google maps.

Why should a pure layperson bother with taking a mediocre shot of the Eiffel Tower with a Canon Rebel, when they can just download thousands of superior images?

I have a feeling that while the total number of images being captured will grow exponentially, the number of "photographers" will decline over the next few years as will entry-level cameras as the capabilities of smartphones overtake them. The ranks of enthusiast photographers has always been populated by people moving up from basic cameras as their desire for more creative options grew. Will the same thing happen with people jumping from smartphones to cameras that provide more options and will enough of them jump to support the enthusiast level market?

And don't forget CGI... ;)

Dave

I have a feeling that while the total number of images being captured will grow exponentially, the number of "photographers" will decline over the next few years as will entry-level cameras as the capabilities of smartphones overtake them. The ranks of enthusiast photographers has always been populated by people moving up from basic cameras as their desire for more creative options grew. Will the same thing happen with people jumping from smartphones to cameras that provide more options and will enough of them jump to support the enthusiast level market?

And don't forget CGI... ;)

Dave

I do think that the prevalence of good smart phone cameras will increase the numbers of enthusiast photographers ---

Essentially, you always had your "basic" "entry level" photographers -- and a certain percentage of those "basic entry level" photographers eventually upgrade their gear, they become enthusiasts as they catch the photography bug.

So pre-2008ish, a certain percentage of people would "test out" photography with a basic camera... and a percentage of those testers eventually moved on to something more.

Nw... the phone is a good enough basic camera. If you don't catch the "photography bug" and just want to stick to basics, the phone is good enough. No need to buy a Canon Rebel or Sony A6000. (Nothing wrong with those cameras, but shooting jpegs with the basic kit lens.. you're not gaining much).

But the good news for camera companies -- EVERYONE now has a good basic camera. So that gives more people the opportunity to capture the photography bug.

That's why Sony and Nikon have been so focused on the high end market, they know the low end market is disappearing. (But I do believe they are overly ignoring the lower market... they need to keep providing consumers with a step between the basic phone and the $2000 high end).

Probably a bit of both. I predict a smaller percentage of shooters moving to the enthusiast ranks but hadn't strongly considered the pool is vast with damn near everyone in the world having a camera now.

I'd better order my gear before they run out!

Dave

Legitimate and illegitimate complaints and weaknesses about the Sony Alpha system: http://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/03/25/sony-alpha-negatives-and-complaints/

I'll lead off my critique by stating that I'm not a Sony Fanboy. While I have often mentioned that Sony's rise to its current market position was due to innovation and producing cameras with good value (bang-for-the-buck, if you will). I have had my share of complaints about some of the decisions Sony has made. Since many of those were fixed in later models or via firmware, I have remained confident in my choice of brands. I have also refrained from bashing other brands. Mostly because virtually all modern camera makers produce superb cameras and secondarily because no matter how many faults I find with other maker's cameras, it won't make mine better. So, while I'm not a Fanboy. I am a Fan. The capital "Fan" was intentional since I'm honest enough to say that I am cheering for Sony's success so I don't have to make a brand shift at some time in the future to stay current with the tech of the times.

So, as a Sony Fan, I have to say that it was a fair and balanced article. While it's true that several of the valid negatives are irrelevant to me, they are worth mentioning for those for whom they might be relevant to. They are also worth discussing. Discussions (and idiots flaming the regular boards) are how manufacturers hear about a lot of "issues", real or imagined.

Nicely done.

Dave

I'll lead off my critique by stating that I'm not a Sony Fanboy. While I have often mentioned that Sony's rise to its current market position was due to innovation and producing cameras with good value (bang-for-the-buck, if you will). I have had my share of complaints about some of the decisions Sony has made. Since many of those were fixed in later models or via firmware, I have remained confident in my choice of brands. I have also refrained from bashing other brands. Mostly because virtually all modern camera makers produce superb cameras and secondarily because no matter how many faults I find with other maker's cameras, it won't make mine better. So, while I'm not a Fanboy. I am a Fan. The capital "Fan" was intentional since I'm honest enough to say that I am cheering for Sony's success so I don't have to make a brand shift at some time in the future to stay current with the tech of the times.

So, as a Sony Fan, I have to say that it was a fair and balanced article. While it's true that several of the valid negatives are irrelevant to me, they are worth mentioning for those for whom they might be relevant to. They are also worth discussing. Discussions (and idiots flaming the regular boards) are how manufacturers hear about a lot of "issues", real or imagined.

Nicely done.

Dave

Thank you. I’m a fan of any system I shoot — if I wasn’t a fan, I wouldn’t be in that system.

But fanboyism is just annoying. And I’ve made the mistake of sparring with fanboys at times.

It’s really ridiculous with the need to knock down rival camera systems — we ALL benefit by strong competition. As a Sony shooter, I want Canon and Nikon to put out the best products to push Sony to be better. Yes, there are reasons I prefer my own system, which led me to choose it.

So, UHS-II U3 300MB/s cards aren't cheap.

But are they ever fast! With a UHS-II reader it's like writing to a fast external hard drive.

I tried one out in my A6300 and WOW!

Well....actually, no difference. The UHS-I U3 95MB/s cards are already faster than the camera needs. I knew that ahead of time, but hope springs eternal!

Dave

Why I don't use back button AF and my Sony custom settings: http://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/04/03/whether-to-use-back-button-af-on-sony/

Good coverage of a sometimes fuzzy subject. (Sorry...)

When not using AF-C, I have always used DMF. It functions like AF-S but allows you to go with the camera's decision if you like what you see or magnify and check/adjust if you don't. It also works very well with focus peaking.

I also followed the link to the Instant Reaction button setup. Added it to checklist.

Dave

Adam:

Is enthusiast(ic) your stuff alone?

Just checking - the back button article is very good!

Dave wrote an article! And there is an open invitation for anyone who wants to write!

But yes, the rest of the heavy lifting has been me.

Coming soon --- reviews of the Batis 25/2, Sony 35/2.8, Sony 100mm/2.8 STF and Sony 35/1.4. Not sure which I'll prioritize.

Coming further down the road, reviews of the Sony 90/2.8 macro and Sony 70-200/4.

None Sony stuff coming --- Not sure, having writer's block. May do a post about photographing couples, or packing your camera bad for travel.

Got any ideas?

Waiting.

Still.

Don't mean to spam the forum but you folks may have more sympathy than my Wonderful Wife or the dog.

At least I got the spare batteries in a timely manner. The NP-FZ100 really is a lot larger. I would love to see the next APS-C camera use it but there would have to be some re-arrangement in the grip and maybe three or four mm in the body height to accommodate it.

p2810243794-3.jpg

Maybe a bump in capacity and size somewhere in-between?

Back to watching the calendar.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I would love to see the next APS-C camera use it

Dave

Justin had written about his experiences with the Sony battery in dpReview that: "For the 'every day' stuff ... I'd see on average about 350-400 shots per battery. For wildlife and birding shooting, which is much more frequent, 6fps to 8fps burst shooting, lots of AF-C, ...I typically would see 900-1,100 shots per battery (JPG only).

Being a cheap-skate, isn't it easier just to pocket a couple of extra-batteries in your pocket?

Video may be something else.

Justin had written about his experiences with the Sony battery in dpReview that: "For the 'every day' stuff ... I'd see on average about 350-400 shots per battery. For wildlife and birding shooting, which is much more frequent, 6fps to 8fps burst shooting, lots of AF-C, ...I typically would see 900-1,100 shots per battery (JPG only).

Being a cheap-skate, isn't it easier just to pocket a couple of extra-batteries in your pocket?

Video may be something else.

I own 8 extra NP-FW50s (some are 3rd-party) and usually carry four when I'm out shooting for a day. I have found about the same count per battery as Justin but have a belt and suspenders view of device power. I can't imagine standing somewhere looking at the shot of a lifetime with a powerless magnesium and glass necklace around my neck.

I bought two of the new batteries for the A7III for the same reason. Early reviews indicate the battery is an all-day unit and two extras means I won't ever pull out the needed spare one and find I forgot to charge it. Belt. Suspenders.

Another reason I want the future APS-C cameras to use them is purely practical, economy of scale stuff. When the A7 first came out, all your spares fit all your cameras, APS-C or Full-frame. Now I will carry two different batteries and pack two chargers.

Until then...I will remind myself that compared to bodies and lenses, batteries are cheap-(ish)! :)

Dave

I own 8 extra NP-FW50s (some are 3rd-party) and usually carry four when I'm out shooting for a day.

Dave

Have a bunch for my A6300 but usually only have 2 spares that I carry - maybe it's because I keep forgetting that the chips/camera take more than 36 exposures at a crack!

Dave - your website doesn't seem accessible at the moment by pressing your name. Trying to look at your filter article again.

Dave - your website doesn't seem accessible at the moment by pressing your name. Trying to look at your filter article again.

Thanks, Tom.

I forgot to reset my signature when I re-published my website. After ten years, i decided there were some updates and housecleaning chores to do.

Link works now.

Dave