Cunard's not so great savings on wine packages

brell

Cunard has recently released RWC packages, where you can buy 12, 24, 36 or 48 bottles from the captain's or the commodore's collection (or more than one package if you like). They say that you can save up to 25% off regular wine list prices.

Well, I did some elementary research. I chose 36 bottles from the captain's collection (price is $1450 with savings up to $359 according to Cunard) and 24 bottles from the commodore's collection (price is $1295 with savings up to $314).

The prices on the regular wine list for the captain's collection ranged from $40 to $45. 36 bottles added up to $1501.5 which is 3.43% saving.

The prices on the regular wine list from the commodore's collection ranged from $55 to $60. 24 bottles added up to $1372.5 which is 5.65% saving.

This is not even close to Cunard's statements in the RWC brochure. Why should anyone bother with these packages?

Have you included the 15% service charge in your calculations ?

Additionally if you are in the UK, Cunard were using an advantageous exchange rate to calculate the sterling price. It made the packages worth buying before sailing.

Additionally if you are in the UK, Cunard were using an advantageous exchange rate to calculate the sterling price. It made the packages worth buying before sailing.

Also, if in the Med, you may be subject to Spanish IVA (VAT) @ 21% on top of the service charges. You avoid this if you have pre-paid.

We bought the Commodore's Selection last year and were very pleased.

Ahh... thank you, I forgot that. Then everything adds up :cool:

There is another advantage of the wine package. You won't be so caught up in the trip that you are moved (by the wine steward, your spouse, or pre-dinner cocktails) to buy that $100+ bottle of wine. I've always appreciated that we have decided our wine budget pre-trip when in a more rational and sober state of mind.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

Not any more they aren't.

From the information they gave me today, the rate they use to convert wine packages works out at £1 = $1.22

Not any more they aren't.

From the information they gave me today, the rate they use to convert wine packages works out at £1 = $1.22

Well, the exchange rate here in Iceland is very good at the moment ;)

Just hope it stays that way until I buy :)

There is another advantage of the wine package. You won't be so caught up in the trip that you are moved (by the wine steward, your spouse, or pre-dinner cocktails) to buy that $100+ bottle of wine. I've always appreciated that we have decided our wine budget pre-trip when in a more rational and sober state of mind.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

We got a package last time because the wine list was overwhelming to deal with--so long and difficult to read in the dining room light. It was easier to choose from a smaller list.

Brell, we were in Iceland a few years ago and loved Husavik!

Nice to hear, thank you

Brell,

HEading to Iceland (REY) before cruise and was wondering what your exchange rate is in Iceland.

Here in the States our $1.00 is showing 1.07 for Iceland $. Is it easier to exchange in Iceland or

do it here in states.

Thanks

Pat

• 9 months later...

"Berton Vineyards The Black Shiraz" is on the Cunard package wine list (average is $US41, 12 bottles $US495 ) :(:(

At http://www.jimscellars.com.au/_product/view-product/berton-vineyards-the-black-shiraz? , it sells for $10 AUD. This makes the markup at Cunard 400% (5 times the price). Sorry, that is poor value in anyone's language. :evilsmile:

I guess they can get away with it.

Stay sober.

In my experience Cunard's markup (%) is the highest on the lower end of the wine list.

If you like that wine buy as much at $10 as you'll drink and pay the $20 corkage. You'll come out ahead unless you think not having to be a wine Sherpa is worth something.

Sorry, but the wine package saves you 15% service fee off wine bought individually by the bottle and the horrendous Spanish VAT when in Spanish waters. And yes, there is a modest reduction off the list price per bottle, like $5 in many cases. We did the 12-bottle package on QE last August and thought it an excellent value as long one appreciates the cost of wine (and spirits) on Cunard to begin with.

I have done quite a bit of pricing research and can confirm the 400% mark-up. On both our Q2 crossings, I bought wine at local merchants (Southampton) And carried on board. Even with the corkage fee, it was a better deal. A lot of UK wine merchants will ship free within UK (ship to hotel) and you can choose / research from their on-line inventory.

I'm new to this board, and to Cunard, but have been buying wine for some time now. Most if not all the comments on Cunard wine pricing compare it to retail wine shop prices. Would not a more relevant comparison be restaurant wine list prices?

That said, would someone kindly explain how to bring multiple bottles aboard (for consumption in-cabin or, upon paying corkage, in the dining rooms) without encountering difficulties under the 1 bottle per person limitation stated on the Cunard website?

You won't have any issue carrying on as much wine as you'd like, despite the stated limitation. I've carried on 10 bottles of wine & champagne for a 12-night cruise.

I have a question about corkage and unfinished bottles. We will definitely bring a few bottles onboard.

However, we are not big drinkers and may not finish a bottle at one meal. What happens to the bottle if we want to save it for the next night?

Cunard has recently released RWC packages, where you can buy 12, 24, 36 or 48 bottles from the captain's or the commodore's collection (or more than one package if you like). They say that you can save up to 25% off regular wine list prices.

Well, I did some elementary research. I chose 36 bottles from the captain's collection (price is $1450 with savings up to $359 according to Cunard) and 24 bottles from the commodore's collection (price is $1295 with savings up to $314).

The prices on the regular wine list for the captain's collection ranged from $40 to $45. 36 bottles added up to $1501.5 which is 3.43% saving.

The prices on the regular wine list from the commodore's collection ranged from $55 to $60. 24 bottles added up to $1372.5 which is 5.65% saving.

This is not even close to Cunard's statements in the RWC brochure. Why should anyone bother with these packages?

You need to add 15% service charge to the cost of the individual bottles - they charge that on the ship, so you have been using an incorrect like for like figure to compare them. I have always found the packages to be good value against buying the wine bottle by bottle as the cruise progresses - in particular if you buy them before leaving the UK on the phone with Cunard. Cheers :wine-glass:

Also, if in the Med, you may be subject to Spanish IVA (VAT) @ 21% on top of the service charges. You avoid this if you have pre-paid.

We bought the Commodore's Selection last year and were very pleased.

Nice choice - a great range of wines in that list. "Bottoms up"