Solo Female in Nassau, Safety??

Hydro ergo

Hi All,

I will be cruising solo in a few weeks and one of the stops is Nassau. I am an active female, mid-thirties, and am used to (and comfortable) travelling on my own. However, I am also always very cautious and aware of places that I have not yet visited that may have some potential safety issues. Any suggestions for things/places to avoid? Any suggestions on things/places you feel are reasonable? Again, I am active, like exploring towns, not a big shopper, not a big drinker, love food, enjoy the beach but am not looking for a beach day (too tough on your own and leaving stuff on the beach), but wouldn't mind a walk along a nice shore.

Thanks so much for the help-always appreciate the feedback I receive on here! :)

Atlantis is a must see. We did not do the "water park" things. Just walked around the resort and aquariums.

Thanks, I appreciate this. To be honest though (and I should have stated this in my question!) I am not really interested in seeing Atlantis. I would like to see some of the City, maybe a self-guided walking tour around downtown with Queen's Staircase, chocolate shop, rum cakes...but not sure on the safety of that if I am alone.

As always, appreciate the responses-thank you!

When we were in Nassau in 2015, my teenaged son and I wandered all over the town, ate conch from a street vendor, just enjoyed the sights. We never felt bothered by anyone. I totally would walk around by myself. You'll have to say "no thanks" to a few sidewalk vendors (mainly down by the waterfront). There are tourists everywhere within walking distance of the ships. There isn't much beach for walking along near the piers, unfortunately. There were a couple of plazas/parks within the townsite that were interesting. Had fun chasing lizards and enjoying little birds :)

Thank you MyTMo and WaterView! This is very helpful. I can handle the "no thanks" (have done the "no gracias" several times in Mexico! ;)) and our ship departs at 5pm, so night won't be an issue...I am a little neurotic about getting on board at least 2hrs before departure, so not even close. Where did you find the best conch if I may ask? That's on my list too. thanks again!

I have seen some good reviews on walking food tours that might interest you. I have not taken one, so I can’t recommend anything specific, but a search on the board and Trip Advisor while give you some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you MyTMo and WaterView! This is very helpful. I can handle the "no thanks" (have done the "no gracias" several times in Mexico! ;)) and our ship departs at 5pm, so night won't be an issue...I am a little neurotic about getting on board at least 2hrs before departure, so not even close. Where did you find the best conch if I may ask? That's on my list too. thanks again!

I can’t recall which shop we bought conch at. It was out of a little restaurant with a window to the street, just a few blocks from the pier, and there were lots of locals buying stuff there.

Nassau is no worse for a single person versus a group.

A couple of years ago, a cruise ship Segway tour of 23 people was robbed at gunpoint.

But you might also meet some people on the ship to wander around with.

But basic advice, stick the major streets, where there are a lot of people. Be aware of your surroundings, look around, not at your phone. Do not appear lost.

I have friends your age that live in Nassau. It's not that bad. Bad things happen anywhere. If you are that worried though, I'd suggest hiring a guide. Cheryl's Bahamas and Taxi Tours would be my suggestion. You get a private guide who will take you safely all over the island with every thing you can imagine. You'll be able to get out and explore with your guide. You can see if they'll do a group tour that you can tag along with or just pay for your own private. It's not that expensive.

• 1 month later...

I agree bad things can happen everywhere. We are going for the first time next week and in going thru boards for info found this posted...just FYI

Exercise increased caution in The Bahamas due to crime.

Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assault is common, even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. U.S. government personnel are not permitted to visit the Sand Trap area in Nassau due to crime. Jet-ski operators are known to commit sexual assaults against tourists, including minors. As a result, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to use jet-ski rentals on New Providence and Paradise Islands.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

also there was another incident last month that you can read about

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bahamas.html

I was not alone, but traveled with a 19 year old girl. I am in my mid-thirties as well. I didn’t feel unsafe at any moment and I used the jitney to bump around - it can take you all over and it’s a good way to see the good, the bad, and all that lives in between. Like anywhere, there’s also one bad apple, but most people quickly identified us a tourist and were happy to give us tips, wish us well, etc etc. CC is a great resource for things to do that aren’t beach related. Honestly by the time you do a bit of looking around and eat, it’ll be time to get back on board.

Hi Boniita,

I was there two weeks ago today actually! And that notice came out just a few days before I left. I ended up booking a morning tour through Viator. I had a great time. It's billed as a 2 1/2 hr tour, but ended up as 3hrs (good thing)! Would definitely recommend this if you are interested. Anyway, after the tour I asked the guide about a place I was recommended for lunch, True Bahamian Kitchen. He said it was a great place and safe to walk to. I felt totally safe the entire time I was there. It's very clear which areas are tourist friendly and which aren't. After lunch I walked around a bit and poked in and out of a few shops before heading back on board. Enjoy your trip!!

I agree bad things can happen everywhere. We are going for the first time next week and in going thru boards for info found this posted...just FYI

Exercise increased caution in The Bahamas due to crime.

Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assault is common, even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. U.S. government personnel are not permitted to visit the Sand Trap area in Nassau due to crime. Jet-ski operators are known to commit sexual assaults against tourists, including minors. As a result, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to use jet-ski rentals on New Providence and Paradise Islands.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

also there was another incident last month that you can read about

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bahamas.html

Whenever I travel solo to the Nassau, I usually take the ship's tour that includes the Rum Cake factory, a brief stop at Atlantis, the Rum factory, the fort, the Queen's staircase, and then on to the Fish Fry area to eat at my favorite restaurant Twin Brothers (best conch ever).

Not sure which cruise line you are on, but I've taken basically the same tour on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival (see below). After the tour, I usually walk up and down Bay street (the Straw Market is also on this street), and then back to the ship.

Royal Caribbean - Essential Nassau - NS48 (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=NS48&DestinationCode=)

Carnival - Top 10 Best of Nassau (https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/nassau/top-10-best-of-nassau-424153)

You don't need to deal with the ships tour. Taking a private tour is VERY easy. I can't recommend Cheryl Bahamas Taxi and Tours enough. Ask for Marvin. It's 1000X better than going on a ships tour. Everything is on your own schedule and they are super knowledgeable. Provide drinks, private ride, etc. We wanted to skip something and hey, it's OUR tour, so no problem. Not dragged around in a big tour group. We even went to the zoo, fish fry, etc.

You don't need to deal with the ships tour. Taking a private tour is VERY easy. I can't recommend Cheryl Bahamas Taxi and Tours enough. Ask for Marvin. It's 1000X better than going on a ships tour. Everything is on your own schedule and they are super knowledgeable. Provide drinks, private ride, etc. We wanted to skip something and hey, it's OUR tour, so no problem. Not dragged around in a big tour group. We even went to the zoo, fish fry, etc.

The OP is asking as a solo female. Not as "we", which refers to two or more. I've taken a few private cab tours as a solo, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The OP is asking as a solo female. Not as "we", which refers to two or more. I've taken a few private cab tours as a solo, but I wouldn't recommend it.

They do semi private tours as well. Still much better than ships tour. We do plenty of ship excursions, but a tour in Nassau is much better to do privately.

Hi Hydro Ergo -

Have you been on your trip yet? What did you end up doing?

I'm in a similar situation (solo, female, heading to Nassau ... although not for months yet) and have been trying to figure out what to do. I do like some shopping, but not hours and hours of it. I was looking at some of the walking food/history tours as an option.

TIA.

I've been to Nassau 2 times and going June 8...

I always like to book a Nassau tour as I come to the front gates...depending on number of ships in town

I pay like $ 25 and this stops me at the water tower....Queens staircase....top of the hill market and Fort Fincastle....

You can walk it....but the tour is much better....alone ? The tour always goes to Over the Hill

each private tour has its own stops.

Go to Arawak Cay

Zoo

Water taxi to Paradise Island

Cabbage beach

straw market

open window

I'm looking for different stuff to do also

hope you enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Nassau over a dozen times. I've walked alone (in my 30s), I've taken tours, I've gone to Atlantis, I've gotten into a jitney with the locals and gone to Cable Beach. I've never felt unsafe. Yes, you will have to say "no thank you" to the vendors peddling their stuff, but they are kind even when you say no. Now I'm not saying you should be unaware of your surroundings, be careful, but don't be paranoid.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a girls cruise in Nov 2016. None of them wanted to leave the boat so I went off on my own. I’m mid-30’s, chunky but open to a good/long walk.

I made my own excursion where I walked to the Queen’s Staircase. I then walked to Greycliff Choclatiers. They have a really nice facility tour for $25 (US). You get to sample freshly made white, milk, and dark chocolates plus afterwards you get a 10% discount in the chocolate shop. From there I headed to John Watlings distillery for their FREE distillery tour. They have an optional sampling of rums for around $10. I didn’t partake since I have a very low alcohol tolerance and didn’t want to be tipsy. I did bring back a bottle of rum for my hubby and he loved it.

I ended my tour with the obligatory walk through the straw market. Yes it is touristy but it should be experienced at least once and you can get really cheap souvenirs for folks back home if that is your thing.

As with any city, be aware of your surroundings.