Dress code for Patagonia and Antarctica during sea days (on Quest)

russianrex

Can anyone explain resort style attire? I am definitely a jeans, khaki's and capri's type girl. But also like the comfort of active wear. But, I'd prefer not to be the talk of the town.

Hi Russianrex - We did Valparaiso to Buenos Aires last Feb (last cruise of the season) and LOVED EVERY MINUTE. We have been on a number of Seabourn cruises so did know what to expect in general. We are late 50s and pretty casual people that enjoy dressing up every once in a while. Because of being on for 3 weeks with several formal nights, I did take a tux (that I normally wear about once per year) and my wife took a couple of pretty dresses. Most men were in dark suits (about 1/2 with ties) on the few FORMAL nights only down in the restaurant. Even on formal nights there were men with "just" a blazer and slacks. Women wore anything from dark pants with a blouse to cocktail dresses to fancy formal dresses. It is also REALLY easy to eat in the Colonnade or TK Grille or Room Service (which is so so so nice) - or even in Antartica, we ate outside on the patio many nights, sometimes with our parkas on. During the day - all day long, LOTS of people were around in comfy clothes - I wore sweat pants and a comfortable shirt a lot. My wife wore tights that she sometimes wears jogging and a sweatshirt. I would probably not wear my "workout" clothes from the gym all over the ship or to tea, etc. but often wore comfortable cotton pants and a T-shirt up until 6:00pm pretty much anywhere. After that, some kakis (dockers) and a collared shirt for me and a pair of pants or skirt and normal shirt/blouse for my wife were really fine. About one "formal" night per week were the only times that "needed" a bit more dressed up. But it would be very very easy to make that comfortable with just a dark suit/blazer for your husband and a pair of dark pants and cute blouse for you. It really is easy. Don't worry about the few people making a fuss. I am sure you will fit right in. We fit in wonderfully on our first Seabourn cruise about 25 years ago when we were barely 30. You could also check out our Antartica blog with some photos - and daily diary entries at http://www.johnanddawn.com/?page_id=11&order=asc

Oh and by the way - resort wear is often kakis with polo shirts - possibly Tommy Bahama stuff or similar sun dresses, capri's and so on. Right where you are comfortable!! Have fun!

Thank you so much John (TravelHop) for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. Our cruise actually begins in Lima, so it is 31 nights all up. I know it is still a long way off, but I stress about packing at the best of times, and the added pressure of being a first timer on a premium line is leaving me feeling very apprehensive. Thanks for all your information. :)

Please don't stress about this. If you follow a few simple guidelines you'll be fine: Don't wear a bathrobe to breakfast. Don't wear a ballcap in the dining room for dinner. Leave any Metallica t-shirts at home. Don't wear the wifebeater and shorts to tea, or pre-dinner cocktails. (I'm not being snotty... these are all things that have caused angst-ridden posts on this board over the years.)

This blog should help.... there are several daytime shots, including a sea-day lecture that should put your mind at ease - https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/4938/

You are going to have the time of your life, and fit in just fine. Promise!!

Please educate me ... what is a "wifebeater" ???

My wife and I have done 2 Antarctic cruises aboard the Seabourn Quest. Both were fantastic. We'll do a third. You will have a great time.

Do not stress about the day time wear on board.

First up, jeans and smart casual are perfectly OK.

Second up, while gym gear would never be allowed, the standard in the Observation Lounge would be best described as "warm, smart casual" as everyone is usually running in and out to the deck to get photographs.

The Observation Lounge takes on a sort of "jumble sale" look about it because you do need to have much more gear, like your camera with you -- even if you're just trying to get a drink.

You will always have your ultra smart Seabourn Orange jacket about your person somewhere. Going out on deck without this, or the lighter undergarment (also provided by Seabourn) is a must. It does make a group of "Seabourners" look like a Hari Krishna conference.

The provided beanie is also a must.

What I'm trying to say is that for the Antarctic part of the cruise, everyone looks the same and what is worn comes a very long second to the view outside. Usually, any formal nights are cancelled for the Antarctic part as everyone is too busy getting on or off the ice.

Remember, you are in an area of almost constant light. From our experience our best photo's were taken at 2 or 3 AM or at 11PM!!

Feel free to contact us if you need any other information.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677