Specialty dining

WindinmySails

I have the dining package on the Getaway and I was wondering how far in advance should I book for dining? Can a person make a decision that day or is it best to book in advance? I would appreciate any help or insight with this. Thanks so much!

I'd recommend booking in advance, all of the specialty restaurants you would like to try, as soon as you are able to make reservations. (You can also make reservations once on board, as they hold some spots for people who have not made reservations.) You can also cancel or change your reservations once on board (with 24 hours notice I think -- someone please correct me if I am wrong). I've read that people say if you are willing to eat late, you should be able to get in, but I think that can be risky. Best to make 'em and then break 'em if you have to, but at least you know you've got a table.

Have a fantastic cruise!

It depends on how you roll.

If you want dinner at prime time, then certainly pre-reserve online, or onboard (either at the res. desk or via your ITV. On day 1 I will normally look at availability on the ITV, and it is very good. The 6:30-8:00 slots are the first to go. We are very flexible around dining times, and last cruise we just made reservations day by day. Checking the ITV early in the day, we normally found we could get 6pm or earlier, or 8pm or later.

Recommend going on the earlier side. Service can slow down during the rush hours 6:30-8:00. Also I have noticed that there may be some discrepancy between what the kiosks show and what your ITV shows. Have seen the kiosk show avail, while the ITV does not.

Cagney's is probably the most popular, so you might want to pre-reserve that. I think we went there 3 times on our last cruise, with no pre-reservations. One time we had to wait until 8. Not a problem for us. A little cheese and crackers or a salad from the buffet is a great way to tide yourself over.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Is this for suites or for all cabins?

I don't know the specifics. It has been mentioned a few times in various threads around here, but as we were already under 90 days for next weeks cruise and 5 months from the one after I haven't really paid too much attention to them yet. Its seems to have happened in the past couple of weeks.

I plan to have a look at 120 days out and see what happens. I don't stay in suites, so that doesn't affect me anyway.