Service charge increase fleetwide

Rileyz

The UK has an "all inclusive" fare now that includes the daily service charges and the free promos really are free (no promo grats charged). Some complain that it is more expensive than the old way, but I haven't really seen any proof that it is any more expensive per cruise than the general price increases we are all seeing.

Don't the cruises originating in Oz do the same thing now for Australians?

I think they should include all of it in the main fare. Until then I just price the total cost of the cruise, all the extra charges included, by doing mock bookings. Its not hard.

You can still remove them in the UK - Sadly I believe there is a popular forum (not cc) that tells you the entire process. In fact anecdotally I have heard that on some cruises the UK guests are over 90% removing the charge. The issue is culture pure and simple and in addition the UK cruise market is getting tough. witness the recent cruise fair in London EMPTY and only NCL of the majors was there.

All the comments on this thread are correct but the only way you will stop the practice in the UK is to remove them and increase fares but this will not happen.

Read as a shareholder FDR wants more out of each passenger. Sadly it is true NCL are now pricing themselves out of the market (in the UK at least) and I suggest that this is part of a broader plan. Evidenced by the late 2019 Spirit itinerates if we are ever going to see them at all.

I am considering taking stock through an investment vehicle and will now fall in two camps passenger and shareholder :)

I said 2 years ago that Del Rio's plan would backfire in about one year. But I was so wrong. The prices keep going up and up and NCL keeps raising prices every 6 months. I have not cruised on NCL in a few years. I used to cruise with them twice a year. If I was to book the exact same cruise I did several years ago it would cost me over twice as much more. And I was sailing on a new ship (Getaway). It just blows my mind how they fill these ships at these prices. I keep saying NCL will finally go too far but it never happens so I stop saying that LOL ;)

David, do you think NCL is the only line that has raised prices and gratuities? Check around, see what it is now costing. I agree, cruising is more expensive than it used to be, but someone has to pay for the mega ships and all the entertainment now being offered. Cruising isn't anything like it was 10,20, or 30 years ago. I just read your remark about a family of 4 could do Disney World cheaper than a cruise: sorry, that is so far off track it isn't funny. You can't really, with a strait face tell us a week at Disney is as cheap as a week on a cruise ship. As for renting a cabin overlooking a beach: yes, maybe, but add the cost of food, entertainment, etc and you still are facing about the same costs and you have to fix your own meals, clean up, still pay for entertainment, etc. Cruising is still a good deal, but if you don't think so, that is your choice. Remember, when you eat in a restaurant you are still going to tip 20% of the cost of your meal. Add that to your bill and figure it out.

It’s actually almost all distributed to the staff but whether or not it just pays their regular wage or is a gratuity on top of their wage is what most people are concerned with. Me... I’m not concerned with it. I just consider it part of my fare and done with it. Whatever NCL does with it respect to the crew is between them. Because we all know if they did away with the DSC they would just increase the fare. No one would be saving any money. In fact some would be paying more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not true, but even if it is, it's not my job to pay the crew a living wage. That's NCL's job. My job is to tip the folks that have made my trip memorable 100% TO THEM.

This is not true, but even if it is, it's not my job to pay the crew a living wage. That's NCL's job. My job is to tip the folks that have made my trip memorable 100% TO THEM.

Of course it’s your job. You think NCL is just gonna pay them out of their pocket? Whether or not it comes from and increased fare or it comes from the DSC, we as passengers are absolutely paying their wage. That’s how business works.

Of course it’s your job. You think NCL is just gonna pay them out of their pocket? Whether or not it comes from and increased fare or it comes from the DSC, we as passengers are absolutely paying their wage. That’s how business works.

Yea, no. What company do you know pays their employees sub-par wages and expects the customer to make up the difference? Non, other than restaurants and apparently cruise ships. I get what you are saying about who actually is paying for employee's wages; that is business 101. That being said, what other company pays employees pennies on the dollar and expects the rest to be paid in a surcharge to the customer?

That is where I would disagree. Cruising used to be the best bang for the buck and best value for a vacation even for a family. The price for 4 in a balcony cabin plus excursions plus gratuities plus all the extras could yield the family many options similar or far less expensive at a Disney resort or ocean front cottages. But to each their own I guess.

Hmmm, yeah, I think one 'can' do a family vacation cheaper, say to FL by cutting some corners. Even then, accommodation only at WDW in Port Orleans French Quarter as a mid-range example will run ~$2500 for a week, add in food, alcohol and some entertainment and one would have to cut pretty hard to do it. I was more drawing a parallel to my own experience of "HOW MUCH?!?!?!" and then trying to cost a week for two in Antigua, Martinique, Curacao or Roatan (the winter warmth places I like to cruise to)... I couldn't even get close for equivalent 4* accommodation, flights etc.

My recent benchmark being my 7 day Western Caribbean March '18 cruise on Jade - Aft facing Penthouse $1329pp UBP, UDP, 250mins and $50 thrown in.

As you say, we all have our preferences and likes/dislikes; March time... I need >80deg :D

Many of the lower level crew is paid a base salary of around $50 per month
If you have ever read any of Chengkp75's post, you would know this is totally incorrect. Their guaranteed salary is $614 per month (Maritime Labor Convention (MLC 2006).

The only thing that is "guaranteed" to a crewmember is the minimum total compensation, which is currently $614/month for a40 hour work week, plus overtime at 125% of the base wage for hours over40/week. This totals out to about $1500/month. If the base wage, overtime, andDSC totals more than this, per their contract, they get that much, if the DSCis reduced, their wages can drop to the above minimum.

If you have ever read any of Chengkp75's post, you would know this is totally incorrect. Their guaranteed salary is $614 per month (Maritime Labor Convention (MLC 2006).

The only thing that is "guaranteed" to a crewmember is the minimum total compensation, which is currently $614/month for a40 hour work week, plus overtime at 125% of the base wage for hours over40/week. This totals out to about $1500/month. If the base wage, overtime, andDSC totals more than this, per their contract, they get that much, if the DSCis reduced, their wages can drop to the above minimum.

I would not say it's incorrect. The base salary may very well be $50, and I have had crew members also tell me this. The "total compensation" includes the "base wage", which may be $50, plus overtime and the DSC. Sounds like the DSC is paying the majority of the minimum total compensation.

I would not say it's incorrect. The base salary may very well be $50, and I have had crew members also tell me this. The "total compensation" includes the "base wage", which may be $50, plus overtime and the DSC. Sounds like the DSC is paying the majority of the minimum total compensation.
I think Chengkp75 knows the real deal, since he was and officer on NCL. Their base wage/guarantee (the least amount they can receive) is $614, plus overtime and DSC.

I'd wager to bet that those crew members that said their salary is $50 a month received a really good cash tip from you.

As long as the stiffs that claim they pay cash instead remove the service charge

it will continue to go up to offset.

Really cannot wait until it becomes mandatory - no exception

I agree.

It would be like getting on a tour bus.

Since everyone else is paying,

would anyone mind if I,

just ONE person who would not make a difference, stepped on and did not pay ?

Edited by $hip$hape

I think Chengkp75 knows the real deal, since he was and officer on NCL. Their base wage/guarantee (the least amount they can receive) is $614, plus overtime and DSC.

I have no idea whether he knows the "real deal" or not, or how long its been since he worked for NCL. Based on his statement, "total compensation" is guaranteed at $614. It's unclear if the DSC is making up a good portion of this, or if any amount from the DSC is over an above the $614. One thing is for certain, whether or not the DSC is part of the base salary or not, part or all of it is used by NCL to pay crew salaries. I'm sure it would not be that difficult to find out from an actual current crew member. And no, I'm not gullible as you imply. I've been cruising on ships for over 30 years and have also worked for three different cruise line, both in the office and onboard. At that time, a $50 monthly base salary was quite accurate for tipped crew members, and the gratuity made up the rest. That was many years ago so I don't profess to know how it works now, but for certain crew members are paid very low amounts, which is why you don't see many crew from western countries and to this day they rely on gratuities, DSC, or whatever you want to call it.

I also have no doubt that NCL is vague about the DSC for a reason. No one knows exactly how much or how little of it actually goes to the crew. I have had more than one NCL crew member tell me in the past when the DSC increases, they don't see any increase. No surprise there. It's a nice way for NCL to show increased profits, that is for sure.

I have no idea whether he knows the "real deal" or not, or how long its been since he worked for NCL. Based on his statement, "total compensation" is guaranteed at $614. It's unclear if the DSC is making up a good portion of this, or if any amount from the DSC is over an above the $614. One thing is for certain, whether or not the DSC is part of the base salary or not, part or all of it is used by NCL to pay crew salaries. I'm sure it would not be that difficult to find out from an actual current crew member. And no, I'm not gullible as you imply. I've been cruising on ships for over 30 years and have also worked for three different cruise line, both in the office and onboard. At that time, a $50 monthly base salary was quite accurate for tipped crew members, and the gratuity made up the rest. That was many years ago so I don't profess to know how it works now, but for certain crew members are paid very low amounts, which is why you don't see many crew from western countries and to this day they rely on gratuities, DSC, or whatever you want to call it.

I also have no doubt that NCL is vague about the DSC for a reason. No one knows exactly how much or how little of it actually goes to the crew. I have had more than one NCL crew member tell me in the past when the DSC increases, they don't see any increase. No surprise there. It's a nice way for NCL to show increased profits, that is for sure.

That $614 is for what time period? I can't believe that salaries are that low.

That $614 is for what time period? I can't believe that salaries are that low.

That is for a month. Believe it. When I worked onboard years ago, cabin stewards and dining room staff were paid a grand total of $50 a month. All the rest came from gratuities. So if they are up to $614 some 30 years later sounds about right.

No one is going to get rich working on a cruise ship. Only the senior officers get what most of us would consider a decent salary. Why do you think most of the crew are from 3rd world countries? Because they will work for low wages but it’s still more than they can make at home which is sad. They also work far more than 40 hours a week and some never have a day off the length of their contract.

It’s also a major reason we enjoy low cruise prices. Those low crew salaries and long hours keep cruise prices down. Compare the price to an all American cruise line such as American Cruise Line. They build their own ships in MD, register the ships in the US, and employ US crews and of course have to adhere to US labor laws. I would say their ticket prices on average are a good 3 times that of FOC (Flag of Convenience) cruise lines such as NCL.

I would also be interested to know if this figure is from the one US flagged ship (PRIDE OF AMERICA) or the foreign flagged NCL ships? They have a completely different salary arrangement. The US flagged ship has to employee a certain percentage of US citizens and meet certain US labor laws. The foreign flagged ships don't. I'm guessing he worked on PRIDE OF AMERICA.

To be brief, palming / slipping a $20 into a hand of someone who made you happy,

would make their day.:cool:

I agree 100%. Nothing like a cash tip directly to the crew member. That will always be appreciated more than anything.

That and treating them with respect.

Absolutely. They literally work their asses off. It really disturbs me when I see pax treating them with disrespect or like a personal servant.

I'm gonna get flamed but, you don't have to pay the increase, you can decline all the service charge or you can pay what you feel is deserved.

Can you remove tips on the ship? I thought it had to be done after and a lengthy process with customer service. Just asking....I don't plan to. Carnival used to allow it onboard.

Originally by bones774)--- I'm gonna get flamed but, you don't have to pay the increase,

you can decline all the service charge ?

Confused... What increase?

Did you already get flamed out?

Edited by $hip$hape

Can you remove tips on the ship? I thought it had to be done after and a lengthy process with customer service. Just asking....I don't plan to. Carnival used to allow it onboard.

Someone has to say it so it might as well be me. You can remove the DSC. As far as tip go, If you don't want to tip simply don't do it. No need to tip and then try to take it back! :)