SF for a full day

carbon

We will be arriving on a cruise ship in SF on Saturday, Sept 22 from 7am -11pm. We would like to see Muir woods, Sausalito, Haight Ashbury and shop a little on the wharf or escondido. I would apposite help with any recommendations on travel logistics and timing.

Thank you!

Escondido? Or do you mean the Embarcadero? Shopping there...mostly in the Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf area- is simply walking the few blocks from the Pier to the area. You could go for dinner and some shopping after you finish whatever day tour you work out.

Muir Woods has recently gone to a strict policy on controlling the hoards that descend on it. So you need to be looking for a tour that has entry permits. Try something like Gray Line, or do a search here for other vendors. It is discussed frequently. Sausalito will likely be on the same tour.

Getting to the Haight is another topic. The tour might include it...you need to do the research.

To do this might require a private tour given Muir Woods and Sausalito but as CruiserBruce mentioned you could try Gray Line as they may have a combo tour. If not try Trip Advisor and see if you can find a private tour. If the latter you could add in Haight Ashbury. If not you could get there after you return to the district via Uber. If you want tourist stuff in terms of shopping just go by Pier 39 but it is tourist kinds of stuff. If you want real shopping there is the shopping district. All this takes some time. I would try to go to Muir Woods first, then to Sausalito where I would browse and also have lunch. That would be a nice place to shop too.

Keith

I looked at Grayline tours they have a combo tour that starts at 9am and goes to Muir woods and Saucalito and we could opt to take the ferry back which would give us more time in Sausalito. We could shop a little at Embarcadero and uber to Haight Ashberry. The ship does not depart till 11pm. I though Haight Ashberry might have more going on a Saturday late afternoon into early evening. Is that a correct assumption ?

Just an advisory: There is no cell or public internet access in Muir Woods, if you rely on an app, website, or a cellphone call for your ride out you'll have to hike out of the valley first. You'll have to go old school and use coin-operated telephones to call a taxi or hitch a ride with somebody.

If your lucky you can wait for an Uber drop off, but since there's no mobile data access I don't know how the driver can begin recording your outbound ride.

Edited by Philob

I though Haight Ashberry might have more going on a Saturday late afternoon into early evening. Is that a correct assumption ?

Yes you are correct. September to mid-October is our warmest time of the year and the vibe in the Haight will be up a few notches.

Please remember to pack a light jacket or sweater. Even though its the warmest time, Karl the Fog can make an appearance in the late afternoon. https://twitter.com/karlthefog?lang=en

Thanks for your suggestions! I would call uber after we arrive back from Ferry ride. So cell reception should not be an issue in Muir woods as we will be on a Grayline Tour up untill Sausalito. Unless, you can make other suggestions which are welcome.

I looked into getting the parking pass but I am a bit to early for a reservation. What is parking like in Sausalito? If we took the Grayline tour we could take the ferry back and not worry about a car.

I looked into getting the parking pass but I am a bit to early for a reservation. What is parking like in Sausalito? If we took the Grayline tour we could take the ferry back and not worry about a car.

The parking in Sausalito will be like SF. Available, but pricey. Your ideas of the Gray Line tour, ferry back and Uber to the Haight sound like the best option to me. I would keep flexible about the Haight. Activities happen at different times, or possibly not at all. You might get there and find very little going on. It just varies day by day, and what else in going on around town. Yes, September is about the best weather, generally, that SF gets.

Thanks for your suggestions! I would call uber after we arrive back from Ferry ride. So cell reception should not be an issue in Muir woods as we will be on a Grayline Tour up untill Sausalito. Unless, you can make other suggestions which are welcome.

I like your plan.

I would play the rest by ear.

Have a plan but if you are running late then adjust it.

Keith

Check out Wild San Francisco walking tours. We did the China Town tour and it was great fun. They do a Haight and Castro tour also that looks pretty fun. Best kept secret is the commuter ferry from SF to Larkspur. It's cheap with great views. When you get to Larkspur you could UBER to Sausalito pretty quickly. I would avoid getting a car at all costs. If you can get tickets do the night tour of Alcatraz.

We will be arriving on a cruise ship in SF on Saturday, Sept 22 from 7am -11pm. We would like to see Muir woods, Sausalito, Haight Ashbury and shop a little on the wharf or escondido. I would apposite help with any recommendations on travel logistics and timing.

Thank you!

Muir Woods on an autumn Saturday is a tall order given recently tightened visitor/parking restrictions. Likewise, if the weather is good, Sausalito will be overwhelmed. As for Escondido, that's about a 10 hr drive South [emoji41]

Given the limited time you've got, might I suggest a helicopter tour? I know there's one I pass all the time in Sausalito. That would allow you a ride/shuttle/whatever over the Golden Gate Bridge (to/from the heliport at the north end of Sausalito) and an unforgettable air tour of the Bay and most of the areas you cited.

As for ground activities, I'd suggest skipping ultra-touristy/tacky Fisherman's Wharf (except perhaps to have an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista) and opt for a stroll or F Line (antique street cars) ride along the Embarcadero to The Ferry Building (at the foot of Market Street on the Embarcadero) including dinner at The Slanted Door (get reservations ASAP).

Another option might be to concentrate on Golden Gate Park including the DeYoung, Academy of Science and Hall of Flowers plus Botanical Gardens.

The bottom line is that the SF Bay Area is best suited to concentrating on one neighborhood/region at a time (not unlike NYC).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I forgot about The Ruby sailing sloop. We did it a few years ago and had a great time. Also the best sunset view of SF is to go out to Treasure Island. There is suppose to be a decent restaurant out there, but I haven't eaten there.

I know that Saturday in Sept will be a busy time in SF. If we take the Grayline tour to Muir woods and Sausalito with Ferry ride back we will not have to deal with rental car and parking. I think we will stay clear of Fishermans wharf. Is Embarcadero a nice area to see different shops ( not typical tourist stuff)?

I know that Saturday in Sept will be a busy time in SF. If we take the Grayline tour to Muir woods and Sausalito with Ferry ride back we will not have to deal with rental car and parking. I think we will stay clear of Fishermans wharf. Is Embarcadero a nice area to see different shops ( not typical tourist stuff)?

Most of the shopping are focused in the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area, the northwestern end of the Embarcadero. Some shops at the Ferry Building...the other end of the main Embarcadero area. In between are business, primarily, but not really shopping. Have walked the area many, many times.

I wouldn't avoid the shopping areas.

Abandoning the rental car idea is a good one.

Most of the shopping are focused in the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area, the northwestern end of the Embarcadero. Some shops at the Ferry Building...the other end of the main Embarcadero area. In between are business, primarily, but not really shopping. Have walked the area many, many times.

I wouldn't avoid the shopping areas.

Abandoning the rental car idea is a good one.

With a few exceptions at Ghiradelli Square, the Pier 39 area shops are schlock, though a first ever visit to the original (somewhat pricey) Scoma's and the aforementioned Buena Vista for Irish Coffee would be a true SF experience. Of course, anyone from the east coast who has their first experience with Dungeness crab will be forever ruined when having to go back to those bugs they have in the Chesapeake Bay [emoji886][emoji107]

On the other hand, the shops at the Ferry Building are higher end with a focus on artisanal products.

Along the Embarcadero, one other restaurant worth consideration is Butterfly (Asian/California fusion). But I'd opt for The Slanted Door in the Ferry Building as the first choice.

If you commuter ferry over to Larkspur there is a nice set of shops just across the road from the terminal. But, then there are nice shops all over The City. BTW: don't ever ever call it "Frisco".

Actually, if you can afford to own/maintain a home here, you can call it whatever you want.

You can easily walk from the wharf to Lombard Street. If you've never seen it, it's worth the extra 15 minutes. We did a tour that picked us up, took us to Muir woods, and then dropped us in Sausalito. We shopped a little and then took the ferry back. Just FYI there was a problem with the ferry and it took over an hour to get it taken care of, so don't cut it too close. We loved SF! And Muir Woods was amazing!