Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

I’ll be about 100 miles west from the port. Hopefully car fire free? I’m definitely using the Waze ap. It’s real time traffic info that gives the best routes including alternatives around car fires and the like.

Loving this thread so far! We are exactly 30 days out, sailing on the Gem out of NYC. I consider myself to be the cheapskate in the relationship and my boyfriend is more of the "YOLO" mindset while on vacation. I will be curious to see your review after your cruise! I, too, have started setting stuff aside for our cruise. It is of no use to us now, as we are currently being hit with our 4th nor'easter in the last 3 weeks. Just leaves more time for me to browse through CC for ideas and nuggets I may have previously missed. My boyfriend told me yesterday he is signing me up for CC-aholics anonymous. This will be my first cruise (of my adult age....went one time 15 years ago as a pre-teen, but I barely remember that). Have fun!! I agree that the clock cannot tick fast enough.

Loving this thread so far! We are exactly 30 days out, sailing on the Gem out of NYC. I consider myself to be the cheapskate in the relationship and my boyfriend is more of the "YOLO" mindset while on vacation. I will be curious to see your review after your cruise! I, too, have started setting stuff aside for our cruise. It is of no use to us now, as we are currently being hit with our 4th nor'easter in the last 3 weeks. Just leaves more time for me to browse through CC for ideas and nuggets I may have previously missed. My boyfriend told me yesterday he is signing me up for CC-aholics anonymous. This will be my first cruise (of my adult age....went one time 15 years ago as a pre-teen, but I barely remember that). Have fun!! I agree that the clock cannot tick fast enough.

it's actually obsessive cruise planning disorder or OCPD

I am a proud member

PLEASE, for your sanity sake, drive down to PC the FULL day before the cruise!! Leave home on Friday morning (as early as possible) and drive down - find a hotel/motel within your price range as close as to PC as possible (make sure the breakfast is included!!).

I don’t have time to finish reading this thread tonite, so forgive me if someone has suggested this already. Find a motel or hotel in Port Canaveral where you can sleep and then leave your car in the parking lot for the entire week. I did this two years ago but can’t remember the name. We paid for one nights lodging, the next morning had their breakfast and caught the included shuttle to the port terminal. There must have been 40-50 families doing the same thing. We all left our cars in the two rows at the front of the hotel. You keep the keys. The following Saturday a shuttle picked us and our luggage, back to the same motel where loaded our car and drove off. It didn’t even cost $100. Your cheapskate, uh, frugal husband should love that.

Google: sleep park cruise Port Canaveral and you should find a dozen or so.

One more thing, I’m confused on your dates but I think you’re going Easter week? Did that in 2016. Drove on Good Friday. My 7 hour drive from Columbia took about 12-13 hours. 95 was a parking lot most of the way from the sheer volume of the entire population of the northeast going to Florida for the week. Stop and go then stop and crunch. Several seemingly little fender benders just made it worse. If I’d waited to leave until 4am Sat AM like I’d planned, we might have missed the ship.

Traffic was just as horrible a week later on the NB return trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t have time to finish reading this thread tonite, so forgive me if someone has suggested this already. Find a motel or hotel in Port Canaveral where you can sleep and then leave your car in the parking lot for the entire week. I did this two years ago but can’t remember the name. We paid for one nights lodging, the next morning had their breakfast and caught the included shuttle to the port terminal. There must have been 40-50 families doing the same thing. We all left our cars in the two rows at the front of the hotel. You keep the keys. The following Saturday a shuttle picked us and our luggage, back to the same motel where loaded our car and drove off. It didn’t even cost $100. Your cheapskate, uh, frugal husband should love that.

Google: sleep park cruise Port Canaveral and you should find a dozen or so.

One more thing, I’m confused on your dates but I think you’re going Easter week? Did that in 2016. Drove on Good Friday. My 7 hour drive from Columbia took about 12-13 hours. 95 was a parking lot most of the way from the sheer volume of the entire population of the northeast going to Florida for the week. Stop and go then stop and crunch. Several seemingly little fender benders just made it worse. If I’d waited to leave until 4am Sat AM like I’d planned, we might have missed the ship.

Traffic was just as horrible a week later on the NB return trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have booked a park and stay. We are going to head out midmorning on Good Friday.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

[emoji846]Wishing you a good merge from 26 to 95. That will set the tone for you.

We do the 26 ride from Charleston at least once a month thru Columbia to the mountains... coming back we always watch the line to 95. I think if you leave early on Friday you will beat the traffic, at least at the "merge". If you go after lunch all bets are off!

Have a great cruise, we will be headed to PC end of May and are cringing at the traffic for Memorial Weekend.

Cute Toenails! Good choice on driving day before. Traffic here in FL can be hectic at the best of times but right now most of the major highways are under construction. Why must they do them all at once??????
I am pushing to leave early but DH keeps stalling on committing. If it rains Thursday he'll have to mow, if he doesn't finish up with this project. We might make by midnight but at least we will be right there Saturday morning.

We are now at 5 days, 5 hours, and 11 minutes. I am trying to tie up any loose ends that I can think of. I’m buying dog and cat food today. The dogs live in the house so they will demand attention, however, I worry about the cats. Our son is not a fan of cats so he tends to forget they exist. I have an auto feeder for them, but it won’t last all week. Maybe they will be persistent enough that he will get the hint. They won’t starve- there are plenty woodland creatures for them to torture- but I kinda hope that if we keep them fed they won’t resort to “playing with” small, cute snacks.

Late in the week I will do a grocery run and cook up a pot of chili for DS. He will work a lot while we are gone but I like for there to be something for him if he chooses to eat at home. He has a doctor’s appointment so I have made him a folder of info- needed paperwork, directions, phone #, instructions (its an MRI).

I have downloaded some movies and books to my ipad for the car ride. DH is not a fan of riding in the car. He likes to be the one in control and doesn’t like my driving, so I chose some action packed movies to distract him when it is my turn to drive. I also like to make sure that I have plenty to read- mostly for the car ride, but sometimes I read while we are sun worshipping. Usually, I just like to people watch, but occasionally I need some reading material. I have chosen Eric Clapton’s biography, a murder mystery, and some fluff - which may be pure smut- it was a recommendation from a friend and I know what kind of stuff she reads.

I installed the iConcierge app but I can’t do anything until we connect to the ships wifi.

I don’t need to stop the mail, however, I did make sure that my sister is aware of important information in case something happens to us. Our will is locked in the safe, so someone needed the combo.

I try to always be accessible to my teachers, so I have set a vacation responder letting them know I won’t get right back to them, with a list of what to do if they have a question - google that, email a friend, etc.

I checked the sunscreen supply. It is getting pretty old- some of it years old. So I bought a new bottle- DH has a new tattoo and is very particular about it. I also bought a can of bug spray - Zika virus you know. I like to bring Tylenol PM. I have trouble sleeping away from home and it also helps if things are a little noisy, hopefully it will also ward off any consequences of drinking more that the usual “little bit on Friday nights.”

I have printed reservations and directions to Friday’s hotel.

Now it is just a matter of checking my lists multiple times while actually putting things in the suitcase and trying to get DH in the car at a reasonable hour Friday morning. Wish me luck

We are now at 5 days, 5 hours, and 11 minutes. I am trying to tie up any loose ends that I can think of. I’m buying dog and cat food today. The dogs live in the house so they will demand attention, however, I worry about the cats. Our son is not a fan of cats so he tends to forget they exist. I have an auto feeder for them, but it won’t last all week. Maybe they will be persistent enough that he will get the hint. They won’t starve- there are plenty woodland creatures for them to torture- but I kinda hope that if we keep them fed they won’t resort to “playing with” small, cute snacks.

Late in the week I will do a grocery run and cook up a pot of chili for DS. He will work a lot while we are gone but I like for there to be something for him if he chooses to eat at home. He has a doctor’s appointment so I have made him a folder of info- needed paperwork, directions, phone #, instructions (its an MRI).

I have downloaded some movies and books to my ipad for the car ride. DH is not a fan of riding in the car. He likes to be the one in control and doesn’t like my driving, so I chose some action packed movies to distract him when it is my turn to drive. I also like to make sure that I have plenty to read- mostly for the car ride, but sometimes I read while we are sun worshipping. Usually, I just like to people watch, but occasionally I need some reading material. I have chosen Eric Clapton’s biography, a murder mystery, and some fluff - which may be pure smut- it was a recommendation from a friend and I know what kind of stuff she reads.

I installed the iConcierge app but I can’t do anything until we connect to the ships wifi.

I don’t need to stop the mail, however, I did make sure that my sister is aware of important information in case something happens to us. Our will is locked in the safe, so someone needed the combo.

I try to always be accessible to my teachers, so I have set a vacation responder letting them know I won’t get right back to them, with a list of what to do if they have a question - google that, email a friend, etc.

I checked the sunscreen supply. It is getting pretty old- some of it years old. So I bought a new bottle- DH has a new tattoo and is very particular about it. I also bought a can of bug spray - Zika virus you know. I like to bring Tylenol PM. I have trouble sleeping away from home and it also helps if things are a little noisy, hopefully it will also ward off any consequences of drinking more that the usual “little bit on Friday nights.”

I have printed reservations and directions to Friday’s hotel.

Now it is just a matter of checking my lists multiple times while actually putting things in the suitcase and trying to get DH in the car at a reasonable hour Friday morning. Wish me luck

We've been packing for days and the moment of truth is finally here. DH did really good this time. He usually has something that has to be done last minute. This time he has to deliver some carpenter bee traps but the stop is on our way so that's not to bad. We decided to go through Atlanta because I read that wildfires had 95 closed in spots. No let's hope for good weather and little traffic. IMG_20180330_075035890.thumb.jpg.a87f0a582774b901b6817c9eeda1975b.jpg

I’ve been lurking around this thread (as it has been very fun thus far), but had a thought to add.

I am also a very “frugal” teacher, but like to use that savings to splurge on vacation. I’ve (semi) recently discovered all that can be done using points from a travel credit card. All our household bills are now funneled through my chase credit card. The balance is paid in full each month, so no interest to pay. After doing this for about 9 months (including the 3x points paying for our cruise), and the bonus points for opening the card, I had enough points to pay for a 5 night stay at a beach front hotel in Barcelona (normally $1100-$1500).

P.s. enjoy your trip, and can’t wait to read more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been packing for days and the moment of truth is finally here. DH did really good this time. He usually has something that has to be done last minute. This time he has to deliver some carpenter bee traps but the stop is on our way so that's not to bad. We decided to go through Atlanta because I read that wildfires had 95 closed in spots. No let's hope for good weather and little traffic. [ATTACH]418088[/ATTACH]

Hope your trip is going well. Not sure how much fun I-75 is right now. If the traffic maps are correct, not at all fast. I'm sure you will sleep well tonight after that drive.