Falmouth with 3 & 5 year old?

Hi all- I posted a similar question in the Jamaica Port of Call forum 4 days ago, but there is so little traffic over there, I’ve gotten only one reply, so I’m coming to the reliable RCL crowd for input:

We will be on our first family cruise in May and looking for ideas for Falmouth. I’ve read quite a bit and am thinking this day may be best spent on the ship with some time walking around the port or swimming at Margaritaville. But I’m open to ideas, as that seems like kind of a waste of an opportunity to experience a new country.

Complicating matters slightly, my daughter has Celiac disease so must have a strictly gluten free diet. I’m a bit hesitant to travel far from the ship if I’m not convinced I’ll be able to feed her something safe. The all-inclusives are intriguing, particularly the Royalton (which is close and looks beautiful), though I’m not sure about their ability to do safe gluten-free for a kid with Celiac.

Have any of you been to Falmouth with small kids? Were you able to have a good day sticking to the port? Should we just hang at the ship/Margaritaville? Or did you find fun family-friendly options to leave the port nearby that you’d recommend? I’d be particularly interested in any feedback from people who’ve done Falmouth with food allergies. Any thoughts appreciated!

I was in Falmouth with my three 5yos. We walked around the port area, and then left the port area and walked around the city for about 45 minutes. Our waiter was from Jamaica, and he said what we did was quite dangerous. I never felt uncomfortable, but there’s nothing to see. Unfortunately it’s a high poverty area. If I were you, I’d make it a ship day. Or I would leave the kids on board and go somewhere with your spouse. (I can’t comment on the allergy part).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The is strictly my opinion but in Falmouth I would not venture outside the gates of the port, unless I was on a ship sponsored excursion.

I had friends that insisted on going on stroll on their own and they lasted about 10 min before coming back.

Due to the location of Falmouth a lot of the excursions will take you 45 min to an hour away from the port. Much too far for my comfort level especially with the travel warnings that have been issued.

There are many that will disagree with me but I am just giving you my personal comfort level and that of my husband (who is a retired law enforcement officer).

We always make Falmouth a port shopping/ship day. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

If you should decide to leave the port and visit this new country...please, please be careful and do some research before leaving the secure area. Jamaica has declared a state of emergency for two parishes...St James and St. Catherine. Even all inclusive resorts are seeing crimes.

We have taken several tours and never had any problems, but we are rethinking our next cruise.

Our experiences (grandparents now) with 3 & 5 year olds has shown they would rather play with a box of rocks than look at the Grand Canyon. Kids love pools and water.

My 2 cents.

Cheers and the best to you.:)

Is going to an all-inclusive resort for a day really experiencing the country though? I would just make it a ship day (we did, both times we went). You can waste an hour walking round the port if you take your time. Come back when they’re old enough to do Dunns River Falls or a catamaran trip etc. That’s when you get to experience the country.

If you should decide to leave the port and visit this new country...please' date=' please be careful and do some research before leaving the secure area. Jamaica has declared a state of emergency for two parishes...St James and St. Catherine. Even all inclusive resorts are seeing crimes.

We have taken several tours and never had any problems, but we are rethinking our next cruise.

Our experiences (grandparents now) with 3 & 5 year olds has shown they would rather play with a box of rocks than look at the Grand Canyon. Kids love pools and water.

My 2 cents.

Cheers and the best to you.:)[/quote']

Thanks! I chuckled at your box of rocks comment because it’s so true! Simple experiences are often the best experiences with little kids!

My kids LOVE sand and the beach which is the main reason I’d like to find them a beach in Jamaica, but not if it’s complicated or dangerous. They’ll be perfectly happy in the splash pad on the ship or in the pool at margaritaville if that’s where we end up. That’s kind of where I was leaning anyway. Cheers back!

If you're looking for a beach day you can book a ship excursion to Red Stripe Beach. It's only for cruise ship passengers. It's a 5 minute ride from the port.

ETA

Never mind. I see that Red Stripe closed a few months ago.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Is going to an all-inclusive resort for a day really experiencing the country though? I would just make it a ship day (we did, both times we went). You can waste an hour walking round the port if you take your time. Come back when they’re old enough to do Dunns River Falls or a catamaran trip etc. That’s when you get to experience the country.

Great point! While I would personally love to see history and geography, that’s just not a viable option with such small kids. The ship is probably a better option for them than an expensive resort where they may not even be able to eat the food..

If you're looking for a beach day you can book a ship excursion to Red Stripe Beach. It's only for cruise ship passengers. It's a 5 minute ride from the port.

I don’t believe this is an option anymore...I was actually looking into it when I started my research a long time ago but RCI doesn’t offer this anymore.

I don’t believe this is an option anymore...I was actually looking into it when I started my research a long time ago but RCI doesn’t offer this anymore.

Yeah. I just saw that an edited my post. We went there last February because we just wanted a beach day. It would have been a good option.

Yeah. I just saw that an edited my post. We went there last February because we just wanted a beach day. It would have been a good option.

I wish it was still an option. I’d love to get my kids in the sand and water for a couple of hours, but spending $400 on a huge resort just seems absurd when I doubt we would even last the whole day. And the other simple beaches RCI offers for excursions get generally bad reviews so perhaps all signs are confirming my instinct to stay in port. Thanks for the input though...

The is strictly my opinion but in Falmouth I would not venture outside the gates of the port, unless I was on a ship sponsored excursion.

I had friends that insisted on going on stroll on their own and they lasted about 10 min before coming back.

Due to the location of Falmouth a lot of the excursions will take you 45 min to an hour away from the port. Much too far for my comfort level especially with the travel warnings that have been issued.

There are many that will disagree with me but I am just giving you my personal comfort level and that of my husband (who is a retired law enforcement officer).

We always make Falmouth a port shopping/ship day. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks for the input! Safety is definitely a major consideration for us. I’d want to be much closer than 45+ minutes away. We will likely make it a Port day!

I was in Falmouth with my three 5yos. We walked around the port area, and then left the port area and walked around the city for about 45 minutes. Our waiter was from Jamaica, and he said what we did was quite dangerous. I never felt uncomfortable, but there’s nothing to see. Unfortunately it’s a high poverty area. If I were you, I’d make it a ship day. Or I would leave the kids on board and go somewhere with your spouse. (I can’t comment on the allergy part).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow three 5 year olds! And I thought my hands were full! Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

My last time through Jamaica was 2014 and I made my 7 year old stay on the boat with relatives. We(a group of 8 adults) did an non-rcl tour that involved multiple stops and water activities that were near ocho rios, so about an hour away from the boat. I never felt unsafe, but there were a few times that, in retrospect, were kinda sketchy.

That being said, that was 3+ years ago. With everything going on right now with the warnings, I wouldn't exit the port at all if I even got off the boat. I'm sure you'd be fine with RCI excursions, as the locals really can't afford to have the golden goose leave. But even still, to me it's not worth the risk. And definitely not for kids under any circumstances.

There is a large secure port area with shops which is very pleasant to wander around. Margaritaville is within the same complex and a lot of people hang out there and have something to eat. You can pick up a local trolley bus tour which leaves regularly from the port area. My view is that this is the best and safest way to see a little of Falmouth.

The town does not feel comfortable to wander around yourself so I would advise against doing this.

Alternative is to book an excursion which allows you to do a little sightseeing and get an idea of the country.

We did 2 years ago, my kiddos were 4 and 6. We planned on walking around port to check out the market and shops then swim at margaritaville, but it was an overcast day with a little rain here and there. We still walked around and shopped a little. We checked out Margaritaville but didn't go swimming because it was chilly so we went back on the ship for lunch and took a little nap. The sun was then out so we swam on the ship a little bit before sail away and then got ready for dinner.

Following. We will be in Falmouth on the HOTS in a couple of weeks with kids and can't figure out what to do.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong , but I think there is a Jimmy Buffett/Margaritaville type place and family friendly right in the area where you get off the ship. My friend and her grandchildren went there. Her grandchildren are just a little older than the ages you mention. There is a pool and food and drinks available. They had a wonderful time. I can't remember the exact name, but maybe someone else can supply more info. :D

Someone please correct me if I am wrong , but I think there is a Jimmy Buffett/Margaritaville type place and family friendly right in the area where you get off the ship. My friend and her grandchildren went there. Her grandchildren are just a little older than the ages you mention. There is a pool and food and drinks available. They had a wonderful time. I can't remember the exact name, but maybe someone else can supply more info. :D

Margaritaville is indeed there! Once you enter the shopping area stay to your right and keep walking. You will run right into it.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

My last time through Jamaica was 2014 and I made my 7 year old stay on the boat with relatives. We(a group of 8 adults) did an non-rcl tour that involved multiple stops and water activities that were near ocho rios, so about an hour away from the boat. I never felt unsafe, but there were a few times that, in retrospect, were kinda sketchy.

That being said, that was 3+ years ago. With everything going on right now with the warnings, I wouldn't exit the port at all if I even got off the boat. I'm sure you'd be fine with RCI excursions, as the locals really can't afford to have the golden goose leave. But even still, to me it's not worth the risk. And definitely not for kids under any circumstances.

We were there last month. Had some time before our excursion so we wandered around Falmouth. I never felt like we were in danger, but there wasn't all that much to see, so we went back to the port after around 20 minutes. I've felt far more unsafe in parts of Washington DC or Milwaukee than I did in Falmouth. As with anywhere on the planet that you decide to wander around, keep your head on a swivel, don't look like an easy target, and if you feel like something might be about to happen, follow that instinct and leave the area.

We sail next Saturday and also hit Falmouth. I've still not booked anything. Was considering the ship's Montego Bay and Hip Steeet excursion but my Dallas uber driver was from Jamaica and visited two weeks ago- he said no way he'd go there! Now considering a private route to blue hole since we don't want the shopping and dining stops that are added into the group tour. Anyone done a private tour lately? Vendor?? Seem to be several highly rated operators on Trip Advisor. Any other thoughts? Luckily mine are 17 and 18!!

We sail next Sunday and are also stopping in Falmouth. Our daughter (age 13) also has celiac. We are not having her eat anything off the ship—way too much risk of cross contamination and miscommunication. We are going to eat a good breakfast on the ship, packing factory sealed snacks to get her through the excursions (none are full day) then having a good dinner on the ship. I think this will work out fine. We’ve never cruised before, and vacationing somewhere new with celiac always presents challenges, but once you do it once you learn so much. We are doing river tubing and the adventure park at Good Hope Estate in Falmouth. I think your kids are too young for that though. I think the minimum age was 6 if I’m not mistaken. I plan on doing a full review of our cruise and a full review of our celiac/gluten free experience on this trip, so keep your eyes peeled. I hope I’ll have a lot of advice to send your way! Have a great cruise!

We sail next Saturday and also hit Falmouth. I've still not booked anything. Was considering the ship's Montego Bay and Hip Steeet excursion but my Dallas uber driver was from Jamaica and visited two weeks ago- he said no way he'd go there! Now considering a private route to blue hole since we don't want the shopping and dining stops that are added into the group tour. Anyone done a private tour lately? Vendor?? Seem to be several highly rated operators on Trip Advisor. Any other thoughts? Luckily mine are 17 and 18!!

We used Peat Taylor Tours when we went in 2014. I definitely would recommend them. We had a blast with Blue Hole and the White Water Tubing. We also did Dunns on the tour and had a good time, but all three combined with the drive was too much time and we couldn't spend as much time as we'd like. If we did it again, I'd just do Blue Hole and Tubing, or just Blue Hole if I could only do one.

That being said, Blue Hole was one of the sketchier things we did. At one point, my wife and her friend who weren't cliff jumping, got off the path walking back down and got into an area they shouldn't have been somehow. It was a forested area and there were guys with machetes. Fortunately they turned back around and nothing happened. It's just every time I hear another news report about danger in Jamaica, I think how that could have turned South. Still, overall it was the highlight of our trip, so I'm glad we did it.

We used Peat Taylor Tours when we went in 2014. I definitely would recommend them. We had a blast with Blue Hole and the White Water Tubing. We also did Dunns on the tour and had a good time, but all three combined with the drive was too much time and we couldn't spend as much time as we'd like. If we did it again, I'd just do Blue Hole and Tubing, or just Blue Hole if I could only do one.

That being said, Blue Hole was one of the sketchier things we did. At one point, my wife and her friend who weren't cliff jumping, got off the path walking back down and got into an area they shouldn't have been somehow. It was a forested area and there were guys with machetes. Fortunately they turned back around and nothing happened. It's just every time I hear another news report about danger in Jamaica, I think how that could have turned South. Still, overall it was the highlight of our trip, so I'm glad we did it.

Oh my. Now that is scary! Ugh... I will reach out to Peat Taylor and see what they recommend. Thanks!

Hi all- I posted a similar question in the Jamaica Port of Call forum 4 days ago, but there is so little traffic over there, I’ve gotten only one reply, so I’m coming to the reliable RCL crowd for input:

We will be on our first family cruise in May and looking for ideas for Falmouth. I’ve read quite a bit and am thinking this day may be best spent on the ship with some time walking around the port or swimming at Margaritaville. But I’m open to ideas, as that seems like kind of a waste of an opportunity to experience a new country.

Complicating matters slightly, my daughter has Celiac disease so must have a strictly gluten free diet. I’m a bit hesitant to travel far from the ship if I’m not convinced I’ll be able to feed her something safe. The all-inclusives are intriguing, particularly the Royalton (which is close and looks beautiful), though I’m not sure about their ability to do safe gluten-free for a kid with Celiac.

Have any of you been to Falmouth with small kids? Were you able to have a good day sticking to the port? Should we just hang at the ship/Margaritaville? Or did you find fun family-friendly options to leave the port nearby that you’d recommend? I’d be particularly interested in any feedback from people who’ve done Falmouth with food allergies. Any thoughts appreciated!

Jamaica is dangerous. Stay on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums