Steakhouse for someone allergic to shellfish and doesn’t eat red meat.

TechHoney

I would love to do the steakhouse for our first night since my husband enjoys a good steak and we don’t cook meat at home.

My issue is that I am a pescetarian (eat some fish but for health reasons don’t eat any other meat). That said, I’m allergic to salmon and shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab, etc.). I can eat scallops though and some fish.

Does anyone know if the steakhouse will accommodate for that?

We’re sailing the Liberty end of April.

Edited by TechHoney
To mention ship.

You can choose appetizers, sides, and desserts and stay vegetarian.

Your husband could also order a steak from the steakhouse in the MDR for a $20.00 upcharge.

Thank you. We may do that instead.

I know he’d like the wine too (I’m pregnant so no alcohol for me) but we can bring two bottles, which should be sufficient for the entire cruise for him.

I'd suggest on embarkation day, you visit the Steakhouse and ask to see the menu. There may be items on all parts of the menu that you could safely enjoy.

Carnival's Steakhouses offer better cuisine and service than the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America Line ships. I hope your husband and you can enjoy the experience (along with the first night's free/reduced price wine offer).

You can find the menu easily on line. For appetizers they have a grilled portobello, tuna tartare and escgarots. Then the next course is salad. For entree, you would have to hope that the market fish suited your needs or simply ordered a selection of the various sides like wasabi mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and broccoli. It’s a ton of food and you can’t get these things elsewhere on the ship. The atmosphere is also wonderful. And the staff is very accommodating so I would say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love to do the steakhouse for our first night since my husband enjoys a good steak and we don’t cook meat at home.

My issue is that I am a pescetarian (eat some fish but for health reasons don’t eat any other meat). That said, I’m allergic to salmon and shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab, etc.). I can eat scallops though and some fish.

Be careful because someone else's salmon and shellfish may come in contact with your food resulting in an allergic reaction. I assume it's similar to people who are allergic to nuts. Sometimes if they are near it, they can have a reaction.

Be careful because someone else's salmon and shellfish may come in contact with your food resulting in an allergic reaction. I assume it's similar to people who are allergic to nuts. Sometimes if they are near it, they can have a reaction.

Caution is always required, but any trained chef takes care to avoid cross contamination. As someone with a severe allergy to shellfish, I always mention it before ordering, at land restaurants as well as on cruises. My PVP notifies the proper people so I am asked if I wish to order dinner a day in advance, and I can inquire about ingredients if necessary. Carnival has done a great job and I have had zero problems. So be vigilant but enjoy!

I know he’d like the wine too (I’m pregnant so no alcohol for me) but we can bring two bottles, which should be sufficient for the entire cruise for him.

You (he) can order wine by the glass or bottle in the MDR or can buy a glass at a bar on the way and carry it into the dining room.

If you buy a bottle in the MDR the servers in the dining room will save what you don't drink for the next night's dinner.

If the ship you are on has the new steakhouse menu, they don't have salmon, they serve something called dover sole. I'm a steak eater and not familiar with this fish, but perhaps someone could advise if it's a viable option for you if theyve had it.

You can choose appetizers, sides, and desserts and stay vegetarian.

Your husband could also order a steak from the steakhouse in the MDR for a $20.00 upcharge.

This is exactly what I did a few weeks ago. DW doesn't eat fish and is allergic to shellfish. I'm allergic to spending $35 for chicken breast. So one evening when nothing really struck my fancy on the MDR menu I ordered the filet mignon from the steakhouse for the $20 upcharge. (Note that when you do this it does not come with sides, so make sure that you order something to go with it.)

That is the old menu. The new one can be seen here.

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-unveils-new-steakhouse-menu/

As was mentioned earlier, the two entree options would seem to be the chicken or Dover sole. Dover sole has delicate, flaky white meat. Somwhat similar to Flounder...as they are both flat fish species.

If the ship you are on has the new steakhouse menu, they don't have salmon, they serve something called dover sole. I'm a steak eater and not familiar with this fish, but perhaps someone could advise if it's a viable option for you if theyve had it.

I believe dover sole is a young codfish.

Why go??