Guilty conscience about accessible room

alyssazoll

Don't listen to the grouches. One thing people need to realize wether they like it or not, is the rooms are handicap "accessible" not handicap exclusive. Once the rooms are in open inventory they can be booked by anyone. No bad karma involved.

Having said that, there is the very rare case that if someone booked in the same class of rooms needs a handicap room they may move you or ask you to move. They can move you up a category but are not supposed to move you down.

I have been in a handicap room booked once the room was released into general inventory. No guilt involved.

Wow. Just wow.

I'll bet you'd be one of the first in line to complain if someone sat on your sunbed by the pool as well.

I'd say you're a totally inconsiderate cruiser.

• Like 1

Travel bug is right. If you NEED to go to the bathroom and the only stall avail is h/c do you use it or not? Now you'll say you are depriving a h/c if he needs to go to the bathroom. Well what if i enter the bathroom and all the stalls are occupied, is someone depriving me? Is everyone at all times guaranteed access to a toilet?

• Haha 1

Along that same logic, if there are only ten h/c rooms on the whole ship. and all ten are occupied by h/c persons, is someone being deprived? Does NCL have to accomodate the 11th or 12 th h/c person? h/c rooms are sold out and that's end of story!

Same thing if someone wants a haven and they are all sold out. You just have to make do.

Everyone expecting a nanny state!

• Haha 1

Handicap restrooms are a very poor analogy since those are in use for minutes at a time and many people can use them during the same event. Handicap rooms are more like handicap parking spots or handicap seats at a stadium or theater. Once one person takes them, they are unavailable for the remainder. And yes, taking one of you are not handicap is a really crummy thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and when all the h/c spots are legitimately taken , what then? are the spots immediately next to h/c spots supposed to be made available? When the spots/cabins are gone they're gone!

and though the restrooms are used for minutes at a time, do you think if a h/c person were to be deprived at that needed moment, the non h/c person would take a verbal harangue for using h/c facilities? So its more important that the h/c person relieves his bodily functions but a non h/c person does not have that right?

1. A quick count on the Pearl determines that there are 27 handicapped rooms not counting the high end suites.

2. One assumes there must be more on the larger ships.

ten was just a random number i picked for demo purposes.

so how long does the cruise line hold the h/c cabins before selling out to non h/c? 24 hours? 5 days? 7 days. if they sell to non h/c on 6th day before cruise and then h/c wants to book 48 hours out is the person who got the room a bad person?

We require an accessible room. I think there is a fair amount of misinformation in this thread. NCL revenue management is pretty bad about holding back the rooms -- they make most of them available in many markets on opening day. Sometimes they require a call, but I've seen it on the internet too. For certain high demand cruises, they are gone very fast. To test it, I decided to go to the cruise booking desk on board recently, and ask about a large number of sailings (I used Alaska) and they had dozens of non handicapped balconies available on three different ships about 14 months out, but only 3 rooms for an entire month on the three ships in July.

There appear to be a few markets where they do hold back accessible cabins where they are also selling guarantee because they know they can use them if they are undersold or not demanded.

As far as I can tell, the idea that they would move anyone with a reserved cabin who did not have a disability for someone who did is a myth. This happens on other lines on rare occasions, with a few exceptions of lines that police it heavily.

We book very early. It's really the only way to make it work with NCL unless you get lucky.

There's another thread that was just started by someone today wondering what an accessible room is like because they booked a gty cabin on a sailing in November, and were just assigned an accessible room. I have no idea why NCL released an accessible cabin so early, since they don't need to assign a gty cabin until the last minute, and could have left the accessible room in circulation without risking anything. I also don't understand what happened to the OP of this thread, who stated that her boyfriend booked an accessible cabin without realizing it, because there is no warning that pops up when you try to book this room, and that she was able to switch to another aft balcony upon realizing the situation, which means that other aft balconies were still available when they released the accessible cabin, nearly a year out. It really seems like NCL should be doing a much better job of holding accessible cabins since it is pretty inexcusable that the accessible room wasn't the last aft cabin released. And I have no problem with a gty being assigned an accessible room at final payment if that's all that's left, but there is no reason to pull an accessible room out of circulation until final payment if you have a gty that can go there easily. Don't they have computers that can easily manage inventory?

but there is no reason to pull an accessible room out of circulation until final payment

Agree, Congrats you nailed It.

That's right, "There is No Reason".

Go ahead and justify, NCL allows you to book a handicap room without any disability,,,very sad for them.

I'll say it again.....

What is Wrong With Those?

Just because you can, actually makes things very convenient for the opportunist looser living without a conscious. :')

and when all the h/c spots are legitimately taken , what then? are the spots immediately next to h/c spots supposed to be made available? When the spots/cabins are gone they're gone!

and though the restrooms are used for minutes at a time, do you think if a h/c person were to be deprived at that needed moment, the non h/c person would take a verbal harangue for using h/c facilities? So its more important that the h/c person relieves his bodily functions but a non h/c person does not have that right?

When all the handicap spots are legitimately taken by handicap people; then too bad so sad for someone who gets there late. Not when all the handicap spots are taken by people who aren’t handicap because no one is physically stopping them from parking there and ‘I’m sure they will move me if a legitimately handicap person needs the space’.

I’m truly astonished that anyone would go out if their way to book an accessible cabin when they don’t need one and there’s other cabins available in that category. Kudos to OP for switching cabins. Shame on those who do this intentionally.

• Like 1

Shame on those who do this intentionally.

It appears NCL is relying on the "honor" system. Amazing (and sometimes very disappointing) what happens when people are not policed, but rather left to act on their own value system when it comes to being considerate of others. And people wonder why there has to be so many rules and laws. Well, you see what happens when there isn't. :(

• Like 1

When all the handicap spots are legitimately taken by handicap people; then too bad so sad for someone who gets there late. Not when all the handicap spots are taken by people who aren’t handicap because no one is physically stopping them from parking there and ‘I’m sure they will move me if a legitimately handicap person needs the space’.

I’m truly astonished that anyone would go out if their way to book an accessible cabin when they don’t need one and there’s other cabins available in that category. Kudos to OP for switching cabins. Shame on those who do this intentionally.

I believe the op was assigned by ncl that cabin, they didn't go out of the way. If ncl assigns it there should be no guilt or animosity, if customer requests it specifically that's not nice. Ncl assigning them so far out is theit business decision, not customer problem.

I believe the op was assigned by ncl that cabin, they didn't go out of the way. If ncl assigns it there should be no guilt or animosity, if customer requests it specifically that's not nice.

The OP's boyfriend unknowingly booked a HC stateroom.

The OP called NCL and moved to a non-HC stateroom.

Neither the OP nor the boyfriend should feel guilty. It was an honest mistake and was corrected. Happy ending. (y)

The OP's boyfriend unknowingly booked a HC stateroom.

The OP called NCL and moved to a non-HC stateroom.

Neither the OP nor the boyfriend should feel guilty. It was an honest mistake and was corrected. Happy ending. (y)

For sure, my comments weren't directed at the OP - I posted earlier in the thread to thank her for her kindness and consideration! However, there are others who posted here the equivalent of "I'll book whatever room I want because I can!!" To those folks, let's hope the shoe is never on the other foot. (I can personally say that I "never thought it could happen to me" - but fate had another plan.)

For sure, my comments weren't directed at the OP - I posted earlier in the thread to thank her for her kindness and consideration! However, there are others who posted here the equivalent of "I'll book whatever room I want because I can!!" To those folks, let's hope the shoe is never on the other foot. (I can personally say that I "never thought it could happen to me" - but fate had another plan.)
Both my wife and myself have mobility issues. I do have issues with those who use handicap parking in which they are not intitled to but cabins are a whole different thing.

Parking spots are not reserved except for handicap in most cases. That is why it is reserved.

Cabins are another case. I look at it that if I need a handicap room then I book out far enough in advance to make sure I get it. To me it is no different then a family on a budget who needs a cheap room that can hold x number of people. Both groups have a need and if not met cannot go on the cruise if not met.

So I do have the shoe on the other foot to say and I say if the cabin is available go for it no matter what. I grew up with challenges all my life. A lot of things I could not do that other able body people could and you learn to adapt. I do not want special treatment unless it is really needed. In fact, most cases I do not even use my handicap parking privileges unless there are a ton of spaces open or I have a challenge like a very steep grade to tackle if I park somewhere else. I just want to be treated like anyone else and if I do not get a cabin I want then so be it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I do not want special treatment unless it is really needed. In fact, most cases I do not even use my handicap parking privileges unless there are a ton of spaces open or I have a challenge like a very steep grade to tackle if I park somewhere else. I just want to be treated like anyone else and if I do not get a cabin I want then so be it.

Sounds like while you do have mobility issues, you don't always have a critical need for accessible accommodations at all times. Lucky, lucky you. Wish we were all in that position!

Speaking as someone who does not have any choice or option when it comes to utilizing special accommodations, I still believe the kindest and most considerate folks will not try to benefit at the expense of those like me. It's not just a matter of "sucking it up" and adjusting. But I get that you don't understand since it sounds like you still have some mobility - which is great to hear.

Slightly off topic, but how do you feel about people who have a disability but not severe at all, they can actually go to the gym, who take spots from extremely disabled people? I know plenty of people with "back" injuries with parking placards. I always hear the same mantra that you don't know what a persons disability is, but as far as i am concerned if you can go to the gym for even the smallest walking workout you can forfeit your parking privileges at the least.

Slightly off topic, but how do you feel about people who have a disability but not severe at all, they can actually go to the gym, who take spots from extremely disabled people?

My gym has plenty of people who require and use the HC parking spots. There's an older gentleman who (slowly) walks with a cane who uses the pool. He isn't using the free-weights, machines, treadmills, etc. but he is working out in a way that's best for him (low impact). I have no problem with where he parks and I respect his dedication. Too many people in his condition just sit at home and live on the couch or on the computer.

There are others who are recovering from injury and use the gym for rehabilitation.

I understand that many scam the system to get closer parking but there are legit reasons to park in HC and still use the gym. In fact, I wish that more people with a disability would (if able) use the gym.

Sounds like while you do have mobility issues, you don't always have a critical need for accessible accommodations at all times. Lucky, lucky you. Wish we were all in that position!

Speaking as someone who does not have any choice or option when it comes to utilizing special accommodations, I still believe the kindest and most considerate folks will not try to benefit at the expense of those like me. It's not just a matter of "sucking it up" and adjusting. But I get that you don't understand since it sounds like you still have some mobility - which is great to hear.

True there are days I can walk other days it can be a challenge to go from a bed to a wheelchair. It can change overnight or as quickly as 30 mins to go from walking to not being able to move. I never know when it may hit. But even when I am at my worst and I am I a wheelchair I still try to be normal.... Aka my point about only parking in a handicap spot if there is something like a huge incline. If it is flat or close to it then how much harder is it for me to roll several parking spots compared to someone walking. With power chairs I would say I have it even easier. Unless the lot is packed I can park father away and no one is around me and can then get out just as easily. When I was younger I had manual chairs and again I could fly on flat surfaces. Even when on crutches at times I could move faster then many able body people. The whole trick was learning how to adapt and I am glad I learned that at an early age. Even today that age has taken affect in addition to my other challenges I had since birth, I still do everything I can to be as normal as possible and not ask for anything that is not really required. Which is also the reason I feel about a handicap room. I am lucky I can cruise others can not and if I only have the choice of cabins that will not work for me then so be it.. I will not go one it and pick another date or even do some other travel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Slightly off topic, but how do you feel about people who have a disability but not severe at all, they can actually go to the gym, who take spots from extremely disabled people? I know plenty of people with "back" injuries with parking placards. I always hear the same mantra that you don't know what a persons disability is, but as far as i am concerned if you can go to the gym for even the smallest walking workout you can forfeit your parking privileges at the least.

I understand what you are saying. I use to see people who were parking in disabled spots and thought "they don't look like they have a problem" Well now I am on the other side of that fence, I feel bad for thinking that. You wouldn't know to look at me that I have any problem. Sometimes you can't see something. I can't fee my feet and it took me over a year to learn to walk without assistance of a cane. I still use a walker when necessary. I can only walk for limited amounts of time. The handicap parking is very helpful.

Candi

• Like 1

I know friends of mine that do have disabilities but mild and they are gleeful to get their parking placard and use it. You will say they are horrible people and under those circumstances they may be, never the less they do exist and i'm sure it's not just my friends. Put it bluntly, there are people out there with minor disabilities that do game the system and do use the old "you don't know my disabilty" routine as a cover.

I know friends of mine that do have disabilities but mild and they are gleeful to get their parking placard and use it. You will say they are horrible people and under those circumstances they may be, never the less they do exist and i'm sure it's not just my friends. Put it bluntly, there are people out there with minor disabilities that do game the system and do use the old "you don't know my disabilty" routine as a cover.

I agree, people game the system, and it's a problem. But it's hard to know, and I guess I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt. I've had to use handicap parking twice. Once after knee surgery, that was more obvious since I used a cane. The second time was during chemo and radiation. Less obvious that I had issues, but I was dealing with major fatigue that made walking far very difficult. But since I wasn't limping, and no cane or walker, I did get those looks sometimes. Even when wearing a headscarf because I lost my hair.

It’s hard to judge if someone has a disability at first glance. They may park and walk fine into the gym - but then do rehab exercises and barely make it back to their car at the end. I’m not trying to judge people based on whether or not they are ‘disabled enough’. But someone who is upfront that they are not disabled but all they have to do to get an accessible room is call and ask for one, is upsetting.

• Like 1

My husband has mobility issues, so we called to get an accessible room and we were told all the accessible rooms were sold out for our sailing and we would have to take a regular room or pick another sailing date. This was 80 days out from the sailing. I would hate to think the rooms were sold out because people wanted the extra space while we needed the bathroom in the accessible for my husband.

My husband is disabled too so I also feel as though as long as there are open, comparable rooms still available for non-disabled people to book we appreciate it if they do so. I understand if they are the only rooms left and people book them, but given the option we would hope they would leave the accessible room available for someone who needs it when they can book the same category on another room.

I still do everything I can to be as normal as possible and not ask for anything that is not really required. Which is also the reason I feel about a handicap room. I am lucky I can cruise others can not and if I only have the choice of cabins that will not work for me then so be it.. I will not go one it and pick another date or even do some other travel.

First, regardless of the extent of my disability or what I may need in terms of special accomodations, I still consider myself a normal person. ;)

I still believe it is inconsiderate that there are times I can't travel when I would like to because able-bodied folks may have booked already-limited accessible accommodations. I don't like inconveniencing people and there have been several times when family and friends have had to rearrange travel plans multiple times because I couldn't obtain accessible accommodations on the dates that worked for them. I also still work so I have to consider work commitments when I pick my travel dates, which also limits my options. Sounds like you can easily choose alternate dates - that's great for you, but not everyone has as flexible a schedule.

I think the bottom line is that if you are satisfied with the way things are, that is awesome. However, you may want to consider that not everyone has adapted as well as you have, and you can't assume what works for you is an option for everyone.