Can I alter he amount of tips at guest services

Just looking for if this is possible please - not people's views on morality.

For a number of reasons we wish to reduce the amount of tips we pay on our next sailing. I have my reasons - I know you can have tips removed at guest services but are you able to ask for a proportion of the tips to be charged on a daily basis instead?

For a number of reasons we wish to reduce the amount of tips we pay on our next sailing. I have my reasons - I know you can have tips removed at guest services but are you able to ask for a proportion of the tips to be charged on a daily basis instead?

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too would have to say I would be curious to know how you could possibly know ahead of time the type of service you will receive? Everyone pretty much still does their same jobs, nor in 20 plus sailings have I ever considered giving a reduced tip to anyone. Some are less than stellar while other are over the top, but I always leave the base and if I get someone who IMO goes above and beyond we provide extra.

The only way I see you could know ahead of time is is you personally are having some kind of financial crisis and are figuring reducing the tip would help you out. I however consider it a cost of my cruise and normally prepay it with my booking so that I figure it out in my overall cruise fare.

Yes, but these tips are shared with all the workers...if you worked on a ship or had a loved one working on a ship how would you feel knowing they getting stiffed on a tip? Put yourself in their shoes, they work hard and very long hours and many have multiple work duties daily, treat people the way you want to be treated, be kind and most of these workers send their money back to their families usually in other countries, don't be cheap your lucky to have the opportunity on going on cruises, the workers families I bet don't even take any vacation.

Just remember the daily gratuity isn't for your specific attendees. They are divided among all of the workers. So all the people you see in the buffet, cafe, cleaning the common rooms, etc and not just your specific waiters or stateroom attendant. But I guess you could sit at a dirty table and refuse service if you deemed appropriate. I know you can remove gratuity, not sure if you can reduce them.

Appears from her roll call thread that they are bringing several teen relatives. Probably one of those that just added up the numbers and realized tips would be too much so why not just stiff the people who are working so hard to make their trip enjoyable. If you eat in a restaurant, you tip on the full amount, not just what the adults ordered - or maybe you don’t, who knows.

If you eat in a restaurant, you tip on the full amount, not just what the adults ordered - or maybe you don’t, who knows.

My Mom always taught me...if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out. Eat at home. Or in this scenario, perhaps the OP should take a "stay-cation."

Be sure to do it on the first day so the staff can take care of those that take care of them and not bother with you or your family.

For what reason do you want to reduce the tips ??You haven,t even went on your cruise yet??? I,m baffled with your thinking.Those people work too hard to not get their tips,other than your cheap and don,t want to spend more money? Why did you book a cruise if you didn,t want to pay the gratuities???:confused:

Appears from her roll call thread that they are bringing several teen relatives. Probably one of those that just added up the numbers and realized tips would be too much so why not just stiff the people who are working so hard to make their trip enjoyable. If you eat in a restaurant, you tip on the full amount, not just what the adults ordered - or maybe you don’t, who knows.

I brought my own 5 teens on our last cruise (actually all of our cruises). I’d never take theirs off, I probably should’ve added more (I did tip the stewards extra, plus bartenders for us, traveling with 5 teens increases alcohol intake).

Be sure to do it on the first day so the staff can take care of those that take care of them and not bother with you or your family.

Funny how you don't hear many stories of the removers doing so the first day and proudly informing the steward and waitstaff that they won't be tipping.

Given they're from the UK, I'm guessing its one of those "its not how we do things where i'm from" situations. Which would make sense if you didn't know better. But to be aware of the system and still use unfamiliarity as an excuse is just gauche.

Given they're from the UK, I'm guessing its one of those "its not how we do things where i'm from" situations. Which would make sense if you didn't know better. But to be aware of the system and still use unfamiliarity as an excuse is just gauche.

When I was in college, I was a bartender at a hotel that had a lot of international guests. You'd be surprised at how many seasoned travelers from overseas "play dumb" and act like they don't know how tipping in America works. We'd have repeat guests who knew damn well how the system worked, but would act oblivious to try to save a few bucks. Fortunately, management allowed me to use the 18% "auto gratuity" button on the register for guests like that.

Thank you for the 2 posters who replied without sharing judgement or opinions. To the others - suggest you learn to read or just don’t respond if you don’t like a question!

As an aside and nothing to do with my question but a couple of posters mentioned UK people and also tips in general. I went for an expensive meal in Miami with some expensive bottles of wine - the head waiter brought my bill with 25% tips already added in - needless to say I removed the tip completely and handed the busboy some cash direct so Americans can be pretty dreadful with this type of behaviour so please do not think it’s all overseas issues!