Best ships for dancing

joyoftravel

• 2 weeks later...

See http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1127 for recent article on this very subject.

I personally cruise almost entirely on Crystal these days, and both ships have excellent dance floors and live music There are gentleman hosts on every cruise to dance with the solo ladies. Crystal has recently added ballroom theme content, usually in conjunction with big band theme. In 2010 and 2011 this will be on Serenity's Lisbon-Miami transatlantic in December - band will be Glenn Miller in 2010..

There is a dance team on every Crystal cruise and they all are excellent performers and instructors. A second team is added for the ballroom theme cruises. For more information on Crystal see thread Dancing at Sea on Crystal on the Crystal Boards, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1061757&page=1, and Crystal's website.

Quite a few other lines, including Celebrity, have dropped gentleman hosts, and HAL now only has them on a few long cruises. HAL used to do several big band cruises per year, but dropped them a couple of years ago. My '08 TA on Zuiderdam was one of the last.

The best dance floors at sea are generally agreed to be the Queen's Rooms on Cunard, which are true ballrooms. I haven't sailed with Cunard recently, but have seen some complaints about orchestras not maintaining strict tempo. As good as Cunard's dance floors are, I probably won't sail with them again - ships are too big and the worst service I ever had on a ship was on QM2 when she was new. They are also very singles unfriendly, with 75 to 100% single supplements vs. Crystal's 25 to 30%. As the old Sophi Tucker song said, "Never Let The Same Dog Bite You Twice." There is a dance thread on the Cunard boards.

My only other ballroom experience was on MSC Lirica - they feature the Les DeMerle big band quite often, but at least on Lirica the dance floors are very small. I've heard, however, that the newer ships are better. At least on Lirica, the entertainment staff members - I think they call them animators or some such nonsense - showed up at the big band dance sessions but didn't have a hint about ballroom dancing; that didn't keep them off the floors where they flailed about doing what passes as dancing these days completely eliminating any possibility of a proper line of dance or common dance floor etiquette

Unfortunately, the bigger ships that HAL builds, the smaller the dance floors seem to be. Floors on the Vista Class ships' Ocean Bars, a popular spot for before-dinner dancing, are really crowded with more than 6 or 8 couples - this on ships with 1,700 passengers.

Edited by NHBob

• 4 weeks later...

We have found that it is hit or miss on every cruise. Sometimes the band is perfect and we can dance everynight and sometimes even have a choice of two bands that play dance music. Alas, at other times - like the last 2 week cruise we were on - NONE of the bands (except the show band) had any idea what ballroom was. They offered ballroom classes as part of the daily activities which we made sure to take just to get some dancing in :)

The best dancing you will find anywhere is on Costa. Their floors are as large or larger than Cunard and the music generally very responsive to what passengers want. That's the main lounge; on their larger ships, they have 3 other lounges which are as large as the main floor on most ships. Cunard rates an honourable mention; with the right musicians, the music is excellent, but they're inconsistent.

NHBob tried to talk me into going on Crystal; after some research, I decided it is completely unsuitable for serious dancers, not to mention outrageously expensive.

The best dancing you will find anywhere is on Costa....

NHBob tried to talk me into going on Crystal; after some research, I decided it is completely unsuitable for serious dancers, not to mention outrageously expensive.

Well, since I've never cruised with Costa, I won't turn this into a Crystal vs. Costa debate. If Costa meets DancerBob's needs, I certainly wouldn't and didn't intend to try to talk him into going elsewhere.

On the other hand, perhaps because I've been cruising for 25 years but only dancing for six, dancing is just one aspect of the total cruise experience I continue to enjoy on Crystal after 14 cruises with them.

I could, if I let myself, get upset with terms like "completely unsuitable for serious dancers" and "outrageously expensive" but will let it pass. After all, some might consider a Mercedes to be outrageously expensive, since a VW will get you where you're going just as efficiently!

One point on which I do agree with DancerBob: dancers at all levels, from beginner to expert, should avoid HAL like the plague. It's almost as if in the mid 90's they initiated a deliberate effort to discourage dancers. But that's a discussion best left to another time and place.

Bob

As a ballroom dancer with "serious training" for over 20 years (although I certainly don't feel serious when dancing) and nearly that number of cruises on many lines, I can attest to the excellence of Crystal and the dance floor on the QM2 (whose dance band was mediocre, but not lacking strict tempo when I was aboard-rather the playing was colorless and too low in volume; also, the sambas were played far too fast.) However, my husband and I and our dancing friends have had a wonderful time on certain other, more moderately priced, ships, whose floors were adequate to the number of dancers and whose musicians were superb. The Caribbean Princess was probably the best. The Tahitian Princess of 2008, now renamed, had excellent musicians who played in an inspiring manner. And we just danced up a storm on a jazz cruise on the Oosterdam last month. The only ship that was a total disappointment, because the ballroom dance floor was a postage stamp with room for two couples, was Celebrity's Horizon.

Edited by Glovie

My experience on Oosterdam was totally different. The music, which was provided by HAL and the musicians had to play, was dull, dreary, dismal. I think the musicians were just as bored with it as we were (I was with a dance group, I refused to go unless we took our own music for the breaks. Good decision, and I saw the band playing the air-guitar to our music a couple of times.) Not to mention- I was just about the only passenger awake after 11 PM.

But what made it completely unacceptable- the ship put nonskid, sticky gunk on the floor! It was like walking on adhesive tape- you could hear your shoes pulling loose. Your ankles and knees were at great risk.

The only music I really know much about is dance music, but I thought one of the characteristics of jazz, is a complete lack of strict tempo?

Haven't been on the QM2 recently, but I hear they have improved a little.

Edited by Dancer Bob

My experience on Oosterdam was totally different. The music, which was provided by HAL and the musicians had to play, was dull, dreary, dismal. I think the musicians were just as bored with it as we were (I was with a dance group, I refused to go unless we took our own music for the breaks. Good decision, and I saw the band playing the air-guitar to our music a couple of times.) Not to mention- I was just about the only passenger awake after 11 PM.

But what made it completely unacceptable- the ship put nonskid, sticky gunk on the floor! It was like walking on adhesive tape- you could hear your shoes pulling loose. Your ankles and knees were at great risk.

The only music I really know much about is dance music, but I thought one of the characteristics of jazz, is a complete lack of strict tempo?

Haven't been on the QM2 recently, but I hear they have improved a little.

Yes, the large forward dance floor was dangerously sticky the first night, but someone must have complained because the next night it had been cleaned and was safe for double + spins. Because there were three guest bands on board (in addition to the ship ensembles), the quality of the music was superb. Most of the dancing to these bands was jive, West Coast swing, or Balboa, with a sprinkling of waltz and nightclub two-step. During breaks we would get our ballroom fix in the lounges with the ship's trio, but I agree that the their music was not particularly inspired.

• 4 weeks later...

The OP asked about dance floors and dance music. To discuss good service for dancers would be questions like “how much dance music does the CD schedule”, “when the band goes on break, are alternatives are provided” and “if moving against LOD is a problem, does the professional couple teach a floorcraft class”.

But from the “Dancing on Crystal” thread, some people are considering dancing an entertainment like Dancing With The Stars or Strictly Come Dancing, where you watch professional couples scampering around the floor, wiggling their cute young butts. NHBob mentioned “whipped off her skirt” as an example of, for Crystal, wild excitement. Not my style, and I'm guessing that's not what the OP wanted.

If you're a New York banker or corporate-jet CEO spending your mega-million bonus, I suppose a $5000 price premium is trivial, but nobody I've met in dancing can afford that without careful consideration.

As one of the first to say “don't trust a review if you don't know the reviewer”, I can only say “mea culpa” if I misunderstood what the OP wanted to know.

• 2 weeks later...

The dance floor on the QM2 was one of the largest we have seen and the band was very good when we cruised with them. Costa Magica has a wonderful dance floor and a good band, but unfortunately the food on Costa is very low end and not very good. We just cruised on the NCL Epic and the Manhattan Room has a wonderful dance floor and a great dance band playing the likes of Sinatra nightly - it is set up like a NYC supper club. Princess Wheelhouse Lounges usually have a nice dance band and the floor is not large but adequate. Of course, every once and a while we are disappointed with the bands onboard.

NHBob mentioned “whipped off her skirt” as an example of, for Crystal, wild excitement.

If you had bothered to check your facts, Dancer Bob, you would know that:

• This wasn't posted by me, but by somebody else.
  • It had nothing to do with Crystal, as it was describing a performance ashore in Bournemouth, England.

So please don't put words in my mouth to support your opinions about something you haven't experienced.

Bob

Edited by NHBob

• 1 month later...

I am currently searching for two cruises to take during the next 5 months. The main activity we seek on board is ballroom or swing dancing. I was hoping to find some direction about which ships to choose. I agree with previous posts:

QM 2 has lovely floor but very disappointing dance band. The singer was excellent but band tempo irregular. The show band was excellent but only played for 1 tea dance. Overall it is still the best because you can attempt to dance every night.

Celebrity Solstice had no true dance venue-just a "floor" in the middle of a walkway and a band that performed the same disco songs upstairs every night from about 10-11 or 12. The ship had a lovely floor upstairs but it was used for games most of the evening.

Royal Caribbean Solstice offers nothing but a steady diet of Merengue that doesn't even include Cha-Cha.

Costa Magica offers at least two dance bands on different locations but the food is average at best.

I have heard that some of the older RC or Holland ships still have decent dance opportunities. Can anyone suggest specific ships? Unfortunately, Crystal is out of our price range.

Thanks, Merry

• 3 months later...

We just had a great time dancing on Celebrity's Millennium. Kathy and the Saints played a good mix of ballroom music both before and after dinner in the Rendezvous Lounge on Deck 4, there was a very good Latin band as well most nights, a party band that played mostly in the Disco, Cosmos, upstairs, and a big band that played once. There are only two dance floors, compared to the three on the other ships we have been on, but at least there was plenty of good music, and some very inspired, multi-talented musicians.

Princess (Caribbean and Grande) were decent as well. Jazz cruises often can be a good compromise on an otherwise mediocre ship. I am referring to traditional jazz, played for dancers. My friends and I enjoy going together and switching partners occasionally for variety, because between the ship's band offerings and the theme parties, there are between 5 and 6 hours of dancing daily on these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Strict tempo jazz music? I admit I don't know much music theory, but I thought they were opposites. Can someone enlighten me?

Does sound like something of an oxymoron, but anyway...

Anybody have experience booking a dance cruise specifically? My partner / fiancee booked a trip through a ballroom dance company. We'll have lessons during the day, but I'm not clear on what to expect at night.

What ship are you booked on? When I was on Costa few people went to the dance company's evening event, because Costa does such a good job on dancing.

Crown Princess. We're mainly American style ballroom, although we do some club, and we're not opposed to learning more Standard.

What kind of room did your dance company reserve for evenings?

Tnx!

Not familiar with Crown Princess. The company was set up on the pool deck (not as bad as it sounds) but Costa's music in all the lounges, not just the main one, was good enough most people braved the crowds of civilians.

Although I do International, most people were American.

Not familiar with Crown Princess. The company was set up on the pool deck (not as bad as it sounds) but Costa's music in all the lounges, not just the main one, was good enough most people braved the crowds of civilians.

Although I do International, most people were American.

Just to be clear, did they play a lot of ballroom in the lounges on Costa? I was under the impression most cruise lines played mainly disco and Latin club and a lounge with ballroom and Latin / rhythm was very rare.

Heh. We have a very popular venue here at which the civilians have absolutely no clue what LOD is. Frustrating but can be good for floorcraft practice...

Edited by pakarinen

Costa plays from 6:30 til 01:30 in the main lounge. During busy times, expect to hear what the crowd wants, which could be bachatta or mazurka, but during slow times, the groups have been good about playing requests. When actual dance groups are on, I've found they make a real effort to play dance music. The other lounges often have theme nights or specialty groups, sometimes good, sometimes not. On the Serena, there were 7 live music choices.

You are correct, most cruise lines are utterly gawdawful. Cunard has good floors, but the music is woefully unreliable (there are a number of dancing threads on the Cunard board). I refuse to go back on Holland America because they were so afraid of the old geezers falling down, they put sticky gunk on the dance floor. Some other ships I've been on have nice floors, but the CD didn't schedule any music.

• 3 weeks later...

As you know, the dancing availability really differs from ship to ship -- even within the same cruise line. I agree -- we are a group that is rapidly growing in number and we need to make our presence known. I think we need to have a sub-group within Cruise Critic to promote the availability of ballroom dancing on all ships. How do we go about doing it?

We've had very mixed experiences on most lines. Princess USUALLY has a danceable group in the Wheelhouse but that's the smallest floor. They also USUALLY have the orchestra play some in a larger venue. The bad thing is it all depends on the cruise director, etc. and is not predictable. How can we unite and further our musical cause?

debby

• 1 month later...
As you know, the dancing availability really differs from ship to ship -- even within the same cruise line. I agree -- we are a group that is rapidly growing in number and we need to make our presence known. I think we need to have a sub-group within Cruise Critic to promote the availability of ballroom dancing on all ships. How do we go about doing it? [...] How can we unite and further our musical cause?

debby

Haven't visited this sub-forum for awhile...

Dunno, I'd guess the cruise lines would provide what the majority of guests want, which I suspect is NOT ballroom. And I suspect that a sub-forum would not get much traffic. However, if there's an opportunity to provide feedback to the cruise lines via postcard or Web or whatever, I'd certainly ask for BR music onboard.

Aside: we booked with a ballroom dance group, so there will be 60, give or take, of us onboard. Not sure if we'll have "private" venues or if we'll have to mix with the other passengers for dancing.

Dance friends were an Alaskan (non-dance) cruise and they said the band played whatever they requested because they were the "stars" of the dancefloor - other passengers came to watch them dance. I'd prefer not to be a floorshow, but if it works to my advantage... Heh heh heh...

Edited by pakarinen

ok...thought id contribute....

in brief, im a former world and european professional ballroom finalist and british champion and own the uk's largest ballroom and latin chain of dance studios and i also own cruiseanddance.co.uk which is a company specializing in dancing holidays on cruise ships....ive also worked on many ships as a guest entertainer so i know a lot about dancing on cruise ships.

in my view....cunard is overall the best for dancing as the floors are rectangular and the largest. the ballroom also has the best feel for dancing as the room and decor all suits. the band is very hit and miss with its tempos and ive found that on all of the cunard ships- this is because they are playing mainly american tempos which are not the same as the rest of the world dance to....everyone else dances international style and the tempos are different. so although i get complaints about the tempos not being right on 50% of what they play, my groups still feel its overall worth it as they still get some good dancing on a good floor. ive found the service ok on cunard.

Costa does not have dance floors that are 'as big or even bigger' - this simply isnt true although they do have some that are very decent...but round! They tend to play a mix of music....latin, a bit of ballroom, jazz, and a whole lot of weird stuff....like german leg slapping hoe downs! But they have a good atmosphere and are lively but do tend to be full of Italians....many of whom can be too noisy and pushy for other nationalities.

Crystal i love....plenty of dancing and IS suitable for serious dancers but round floors again but of a decent size....just expensive compared to the mainstream....then again...you get what you pay for!

Ive found the dance floors too small on Celebrity for ballroom.

Norwegian Epic has a nice floor...have been on for a ship visit but cant see how it would work as its situated in the middle of the restaurant....do you dance between courses ...a quick jive and then wolf down the beef wellington?....will be needing anti acid tablets and sick bags on the tables! or do you come in and dance during the other sitting...and provide the entertainment for the diners (im thinking about tables of kids and possible rowdy familes s******ing as you samba past their Turkey breast!) Not sure about that....maybe someone can enlighten me as to how it works?...but the floor looks good.

Another option ive found that works well is the Radiance class of ships on Royal Caribbean - they have an oval floor and quite a bit of general dancing at night...again, its not perfect but not bad at all.

I havnt found Princess to be that good for dancing as the floors arnt really big enough but P&O have 2 ships that are good for dancing.....Oriana and Aurora both have nice dance floors...Oriana has a rectangular floor and Aurora has a round floor (but its a good size) and both cater very well to ballroom and latin. Im about to take a group on Azura....looks ok on the webcam and the measurements seem to indicated it will work.....but im only taking about 60 on this one which is a manageable amount (i split the group up for dance classes into smaller sections) ....ill see how it goes!

One of the main problems though is size of floor....its ok for a low level social dancer to just shuffle around on a smaller floor but if its a more serious ballroom dancer they want a bigger space so i think it depends on the level of the person who makes the comment as to whether its a good ship for dancing or not.

hope this helps and gives an unbiased view of it all.

I will be on Costa Atlantica in December, QV in January; I will take a tape measure with me this time. I'm convinced the floors are almost identical, except QV's has that awkward curved end. Costa's round floors are on the larger, Fortuna class ships.

Most of Cunard's music is just plain off-tempo, by any standard, more like 90%. Costa's musicians were always willing to play requests during quiet times; Cunard's have a set playlist and won't until long after you've left the room. However, QV did have excellent recorded music last time I was on and the Caribbean band played decent contemporary Latin when they tried.

Norwegian Epic- yes, would be a nice floor, if it wasn't covered with tables, leaving maybe 15' x 20'. Some people do like to dance between courses; the band does take breaks, for a leisurely beef wellington. It's open sitting, you can stay til the band finishes. The Atrium had a nice floor but abysmal music when I was on.

RC Adventure of the Seas from San Juan had a very popular salsa lounge, but not much else. Vision had a reasonable floor but no music worthy of the name.

I am very interested in comments about P&O. I've heard good things but P&O does no marketing in North America and my agent here gets no cooperation dealing with them.