Curacao - Go West Diving

VaJoeCool

I have read great things about this dive shop, the Watamula boat dive, and the Alice in Wonderland shore dive. For a cruise ship passenger they are certainly off the beaten path. Has anyone experienced these dive sites or used Go West? I would like to know if the effort and expense to get there will be worth it, since I will have to use a taxi for transportation to and from.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard a few years ago while on a cruise in Curacao that the taxi fare is $60. out that way. We decided not to do that. An option might be a car rental. Ask Go West for their recommendations as well.

Go West is a great shop as are the dive sites in the northwest section of the island. My wife and I have stayed there on two occasions. The problem is the ride. I seem to recall it takes about 45 mins from the airport to get to Go West (we stayed at Kura Hulanda which is right next door) and the airport is closer than the cruise port, which is farther AND has a city 'in the way". You'll also have to arrange transportation back as I doubt a cab is gonna wait for you and hope that transportation shows up when it's supposed to.

When you figure in cost, quite possibly an hour+ ride each way, time required to sign in at the dive shop, gear up, dive, clean gear and get back - you are probably talking about very little time to actually dive.

My alternative recommendation is The Dive Bus which is around 15 minutes from the cruise port and is not as good as Alice in Wonderland, but still good enough to warrant gearing up for.

• 1 year later...

Update - the taxi ride was long (about 45 minutes) and cost $120 round trip. The dive boat was packed and picked me up at the dive shop after their first morning dive. I have never been on a dive boat that was so crowded and the divers so grouchy. It was not a good experience. The dive site was ok, but hardly spectacular. Actually the best part of the excursion was the taxi ride. The driver was very personable and told me about her story and island history. The drive there and back was very scenic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

I booked with Bas Hart Diving in November. He picked us up at the cruise port. There was only my brother and I. He has a maximum of four people per dive and he takes you to out-of-the way places so you can see what you want to see. He includes professional pictures which he emails to you. Amazing! Could not recommend him highly enough.