Princess to Oceania.... What will be different?

Smokeyham

I've had a couple of cruises on Princess and am thinking of trying Oceania, with the possible long term goal of doing a world cruise with them.

For those who have had experience with both, can you tell me what struck you as being different? I have enjoyed the ambiance on board Princess ships, but it seems that Oceania will be a bit more upscale, without being overly formal.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Everything :D

Different ambiance, clientele, food, service, none to few kids - you name it.

Enjoy the change and the experience.

We like Princess (Elites) for some of their itineraries and some perks (and price) - for not much else :)

Definitely a case of "You get what you pay for" IME & IMO.

Oceania is a smaller ship, more intimate. Cruisers in my opinion are very active 50-70 year old people who have done some to extensive traveling. Most educated very well but not stuffy and not overbearing for most part. Less entertainment/comics/night light. This crowd like fine food (much better than Princess IMO), lectures, conversations and exotic ports (small ship gets in where the big ships can't go). Service is probably better than Princess and you get a few meals in the specialty restaurants included. I generally prefer the MDR -- food is good and you eat in less than 90 minutes. Try it and see if it fits your idea of a good cruise. I would try it at least once before going for 6 months. Lots like the ATW cruise but many are like hubby and me -- we take segments over a few years -- have pretty much completed the cruise now. Heading off tomorrow to Bridgetown to Cape Town segment of 2018 ATW cruise and I am excited. Can't wait to get back to O and Insignia.

I've had a couple of cruises on Princess and am thinking of trying Oceania, with the possible long term goal of doing a world cruise with them.

For those who have had experience with both, can you tell me what struck you as being different? I have enjoyed the ambiance on board Princess ships, but it seems that Oceania will be a bit more upscale, without being overly formal.

The last time I was on a Princess ship, they had formal nights and the captain was pouring champagne over a tower of glasses. They also had a big production show.

None of this on the much smaller Oceania ships. No formal nights and smaller theater. All non alcoholic drinks and all restaurants are included in the price. Better food.

You might list in more detail the things that you enjoy on Princess.

On O, it is open seating in the main dining room and terrace cafe. You do not have the option for a fixed time to dine, fixed table and fixed group to share with each night. The specialty restaurants are by reservation for those you must have a reservation (athough some say walkups are allowed?).

Princess ships have several fresh water pools. O will have the main pool.

Entertainment will be mainly the classical quartet and one show per night in the theater. Last time on Princess there were many shows/dances in the atrium, show in the main theater, and another show in the midship lounge. So less options for entertainment.

Getting on and off the ship on O is a breeze compared to the bigger ships of Princess. You gain about 1 hour in each port in my opinion just because of the ease of getting off and back on.

Since the ship is small, the limited options usually work very well. Food and service are excellent. Just putting a little more detail out for you.

Thanks so much! The specifics are very helpful. An elegant atmosphere, combined with no formal nights, is very attractive to me. Fellow cruisers who are well-traveled, and still active is also very appealing.

Okaaay: The dress style will be more smart/country club casual.(NO formal nights) This does NOT mean jeans/shorts & non collared shirts!(at least at night) It will be nice slacks & collared shirts. We'll still bring suit jackets. We generally like dressing up a bit.

Food should be MUCH better than on Princess/Celebrity & other mass market/slightly upscale lines. We're in the food industry(and real foodies) & chose to try Oceania, just to sample the food. Ships are generally smaller than some Princess ships(much smaller than Royal class Princess ships)Entertainment will be less splashy or showy than Princess. You'll see LESS smokers on Oceania. Due to the cost of the cruise, pax should generally be a bit more "worldly" than most Princess pax, but obviously not always! Take a trip during Super Bowl week on Princess & you see what I mean! Really quite trashy we found. We'd still do Princess, just not during that time frame.

We've done Cunard/Celebrity/Princess. We find the pax on Cunard to probably be more like those on Oceania(without the formal attire)Overall, I'd suggest a short trip to test them out. We're doing 10 days(Jan.13-23)It should give us a pretty good feel as to their strengths & weaknesses. Overall, I think you'd have a good time. We always used to be "loyal" to a few lines. Now we're starting to rethink that, & trying out new ones.

OMG I love all these posts. We are usually "O" and we love our 12 year butler Pritam. We did one Princess so we could to to the Tattoo. OMG, what a difference. Luckily enough we had a really good crew member that was on a steep learning curve and he treated us so well and we reciprocated. Our friends that we were with had 19 Princess cruises and could not believe what we told them about "O". Once on Princess is really enough if that is how they treat someone who has 19. Does that say enough.

Too bad they don't use the Riviera or Marina for the world cruise. Anyone know why not? They're not that big of a ship.

Not that big but just about double the size of R ships.

Potential problems with capacity for a WC, supplies in remote areas for larger ship, getting into some small ports and probably many others.

But it surely would give WCs a lot more variety for food choices for 180 days :)

Just guessing here...

Edited by Paulchili

Some major differences: On Oceania the food quality is far superior in all venues, but it is most noticeable in the simple venues like the buffet and the grill by the pool. Casual food in these venues of "O" is almost gourmet, while on Princess you just find cheap fast food. Another big difference is the ambience and peace and quiet. The "O" ships have a lot of space, solitude, peace, while on Princess if's busy, busy, busy, often very crowded. It's so uncrowded on "O" that it's almost lonely, especially after dinner. And then there is elegance. The "O" ships have lots of beautiful and valuable art, while Princess ships have tacky art auctions of big-eyed children and the "Painter of Light." On the other hand, there is a lot of party entertainment on Princess, while "O" ships are sleepy at night.

Princess has a lot more going on during the day and you can be kept busy.We always found somewhere to sit quietly.

Yes,there is the advantage of better swimming choices,even an adult only pool.Not salt water either.

Extra is paid for speciality dining and posh coffees,but then the original price is overall less.Also on Princess you can go outside,get fresh air and see clearly.On Riviera we were looking through glass or plastic screens outside.I,personally could not stand that on say,an Alaskan cruise.

Love the nightclubs on Princess.Very modern,loud and a lot of exercise,dancing!!

Princess,we hated the lido...

The ‘English pub’ on Princess is extremely popular.

But there is something about Oceania that makes us feel comfortable.We have only sailed them once in an up sell to penthouse,so will see what our cruise on Tuesday is like on Marina.

OMG I love all these posts. We are usually "O" and we love our 12 year butler Pritam. We did one Princess so we could to to the Tattoo. OMG, what a difference. Luckily enough we had a really good crew member that was on a steep learning curve and he treated us so well and we reciprocated. Our friends that we were with had 19 Princess cruises and could not believe what we told them about "O". Once on Princess is really enough if that is how they treat someone who has 19. Does that say enough.

FYI - I don't know the actual percentage, but not every cabin on O has a butler. Without one, IMO, the cabin stewards are more or less like cabin stewards on most other cruise lines.

FYI - I don't know the actual percentage, but not every cabin on O has a butler. Without one, IMO, the cabin stewards are more or less like cabin stewards on most other cruise lines.

Fair enough. :)

IMO the differences between cabins on Princess compared to Oceania are a lot like those of buying Real Estate in a good neighborhood versus a great neighborhood.

Even the demographics are similar.

I would make a note that there is no Princess, nor Oceania.

There is a huge gap in class between the Sapphire you have been on (the best Princess ship to date) and the Royal/Regal.

You'll see a similar situation with Oceania. The small ships (formerly Renaissance ships) are absolutely different product in comparison with the larger Riviera and Marina.

Coming from Princess to Oceania Marina/Riviera ships you'll get much better food quality, more refined service (both dining and cabins).

dZcS6TA4mS0

Cabins are equipped with larger bathrooms.

Another positive change will be a spa hydropool on the Riviera (the only things the Sapphire is lacking to qualify for the 4.5* club!)

It's not a "real" one that we find on some NCL and HAL ships, but (weather permitting) is a nice change. So are the heated beds.

Overall the spa area on the Riviera (Marina does not have hydropool) is a real step forward over the Sunctuary on Princess.

GTMDidHMHgk

The principle lounge is facing forward on the Riviera (although it sits somewhat aft the bow, and isn't a "proper" observation lounge). It's larger and more comfortable than the Skywalkers on the Princess.

What you lose....

The best Oceania ships (Riviera/Marina) are lacking promenade deck and forward viewing deck.

This glaring design fault ruins the whole impression of the ships.

You'll say good by to the breathtaking open spaces on the Sapphire.

The theater is a joke: a relatively small lounge with the ceiling sitting on your head.

Theses ships are dfinitely quieter, with fewer people on board, with less life going here and there.

I would not say "more relaxing" overall as the ships are lacking critically important open spaces.

However the running track is available, so is the sports court.

The only pool on the Riviera cannot be compared with the 4 pool areas on Princess.

Overall (thanks to the food quality) this is a 4* product.

Small ships are nicely appointed boutique (or close to that) boats.

Far from being resort ships.

I would not recommend these ships unless your cruising habits do not exceed eating, talking, and visiting places.

Try the Riviera first.

Enjoy your cruise!

I believe Marina had two small hydro pools in location where Riviera had one large one last time I was on her in 2015

Marina has two small jacuzzi tabs, no hydropool.

I will post a short video about hydropools.

You are correct. I found cruise critic picture of dual jacuzzi tubs on Marina which refreshed my memory. My only cruise on Marina was a fairly cold weather N. Atlantic crossing in 2015...did not use front spa area much...at least that is my excuse for forgetting.:D

As most of the replies have stated, the food is much better on Oceania than on Princess. Although there is only one pool, it is MUCH easier to find an empty chair around the pool and the service from the waiters around the pool is vastly superior. The atmosphere, music etc is much quieter and relaxing.

One drawback is the basic balcony cabins on the Oceania R ships (all of them except Riviera and Marina) are small and the bathrooms ridiculously small for a cruise line of this quality. The balcony cabins on Riviera and Marina are spacious and very nice so I recommend to try one of them first.

Enjoy.

On Riviera we were looking through glass or plastic screens outside.I,personally could not stand that on say,an Alaskan cruise.

To the best of my recollection, the aft sun deck (15) on Riviera and Marina does not have plastic to look through--although a lot of folks seem to have never found that space.